Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-10-2003, 09:27 AM   #1
aikigreg
Dojo: Mizu Aikido
Anyone going to Cherry Blossom Seminar?

Saotome Shihan's 50th year in Aikido. I'm planning to be there and wouldn't mind hooking up with some Aikiweb people to hang out with. I'll actually be sleeping at the dojo, which should be quite an experience.

On a related note. Anyone flown with their weapons? I'm hoping I won't have an issue with it, though I have a horible weapons bag.

Greg
Old 03-10-2003, 12:43 PM   #2
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
I know people who have started shipping their weapons UPS or FedEx instead of dealing with the airlines. They contact the dojo they're going to and ask if there is an address they might ship them too. There is usually someone who is willing to accept the delivery.

The weapons get lost a lot less frequently too.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 03-10-2003, 04:51 PM   #3
DGLinden
Dojo: Shoshin Aikido Dojos
I have trained at this dojo when 150 people showed up- this is about 60 over fire code - and we had to work two shifts - no weapons. I expect about 300 for this event. Do what you need to do, but weapons?????? I am not bringing mine.

Daniel G. Linden
Author of ON MASTERING AIKIDO (c) 2004
Founder Shoshin Aikido Dojos
www.shoshindojo.com
Old 03-11-2003, 08:09 AM   #4
aikigreg
will it be that bad? No mat space for takedowns or anything?
Old 03-11-2003, 08:18 AM   #5
MattRice
Dojo: Baltimore Aikido
Bad? No. Cramped? Yup. Takedowns? Maybe. The Shobukan website says "Weapons may be used" but I can't see it happening. Those posts in the middle of the mat make rolling, uh...interesting. By the way, they changed the canvas on the mats a couple of months ago. It's about 150 grit sandpaper. Suwariwaza...WOOHOO!
Matt

Last edited by MattRice : 03-11-2003 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:47 AM   #6
aikigreg
schnike - I've got scars on my toes already from one piddling session in santa fe on canvas. If I go to this thing, I'll have to wear socks on the mat.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:18 AM   #7
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
If I go to this thing, I'll have to wear socks on the mat.
Check out the House of Rice. You can get the split toe cotton tabi in black or white. I wear them in iaido practice and aikido when it's cold.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 03-28-2003, 09:28 AM   #8
aikigreg
bump for anyone who might be going!
Old 04-02-2003, 08:10 AM   #9
Jeff Tibbetts
Dojo: Cedar River Aikikai
United_States
I really, really wanted to go to this one. I have family in the area, but I just can't afford it right now. Let us know how it is! Anyone on this board train at the Shobukan? I still want to visit when I'm out there, sometime, and I had a couple of questions for anyone there.

If the Nightingale doesn't sing-
wait
Old 04-02-2003, 09:21 AM   #10
akiy

By the way, I think that anyone going to the seminar will have a great time. I just had a couple of classes with Yamamoto sensei (including an hour and a half class last night that I translated for him) and they were both great. He has a very wonderful feeling aikido, many interesting ideas, and a very touching approach to aikido and life. Great person, too; very down to earth.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 04-02-2003, 09:23 AM   #11
Jim Sorrentino

Dojo: Aikido of Northern Virginia, Aikido Shobukan Dojo
Jeff,

I train at Shobukan. Please feel free to contact me.

As of last night, the projected attendance at the DC Cherry Blossom Seminar was 190. I'm not sure how we will all fit, but I'm planning to train near an exit!

Jim

I mistrust all systematizers and I avoid them. The will to a system is a lack of integrity. Nietzsche, Twilight of the Idols
Old 04-02-2003, 09:26 AM   #12
aikigreg
As long as Saotome Sensei isn't packing any pyrotechnics, we should be ok. Unless he tries to promote awareness by lighting the shomen on fire and forcing us to tenkan our way out

I can't wait!