Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-23-2008, 07:18 AM   #26
Nathan Wallace

Dojo: VA tenshinkai
United_States
Re: All of the Techniques in Aikido?

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
The pressure point in yonkajo/yonkyo doesn't work on everyone, but proper body movement and control of the center works on many more people than simply using a pressure point.

Of course, no method is infallible...

Best,
Ron
So use every method and you won't fail.

Cpl. P. N. Wallace

Kijinkan school founder & instructor
Aikijujutsu
Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage ryu kenjutsu
Old 12-23-2008, 09:02 AM   #27
C. David Henderson
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote: View Post
The pressure point in yonkajo/yonkyo doesn't work on everyone, but proper body movement and control of the center works on many more people than simply using a pressure point.

Of course, no method is infallible...

Best,
Ron
This is what I have been taught. Properly executed, yonkyo allows you to send a pulse through uke's center that you can feel and see and an opportunity to control the center.

As for sumi otoshi, I wonder whether the question concerns ai hanmi sumi otoshi, which can involve hand positioning similar to yonkyo. But I agree that the throw itself is, despite that similarity, very different, and doesn't involve (for me) the application of yonkyo as a means of control.

YMMV

David
Old 12-23-2008, 09:29 AM   #28
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
So use every method and you won't fail.
Well, that is one approach, simply combine enough of each method in what you do, and surely something will catch uke's center.

Another approach might be, tailor what you do to the specifc circumstance...that way, you waste less energy on things not relevent to the situation.

Both are good approaches...

Best,
Ron (pick your poison)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 12-26-2008, 12:13 AM   #29
DevinHammer

Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
United_States

Marko,
You are not in the dojo to learn vocabulary, nor to amass the largest collection of techniques, so you can rattle them off like baseball cards. With training the techniques will come, and some of them will have names - some not. With testing, the requirements will be communicated to you in whatever terminology works in your dojo. If you think of your Aikido as being a set of individual techniques, it will not flow from you naturally.
O'sensei, when asked by outsiders, "how many techniques does Aikido have?", would sometimes answer (facetiously), "30,000". Sometimes he would answer, "One". The latter answer is probably the more accurate. Ask your sensei, and anyone else you'd care to, what "Take Musu Aiki" means to them. None of the answers will be wrong, or better than others. Then, ask yourself what it means.

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
-- Jedi Master Yoda
Old 12-26-2008, 02:47 AM   #30
Mato-san
Iceland

Just learn perfect/flawless tenkan, irimi technique and you could build a solid curriculum around that, rounded with some nice smooth principles of leverage and center management.

Think and feel outside of the box of techniques.

Look under them. Feel what is under them

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 12-26-2008, 04:43 AM   #31
Marko Ilic

So what your saying is... to learn the principles of motion.

I am not black belt, but I am cool
Old 12-26-2008, 05:08 AM   #32
Mato-san
Iceland

I am saying learn the principles of Aikido and the function is another realm .... look beneath the technique

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 12-29-2008, 10:36 AM   #33
Garth Jones
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

As you have no doubt noticed, different groups have various names for similar techniques. If you would like a good description of basic techniques and the more common advanced techniques, the two volume 'Best Aikido' by the current and former Doshu would be a good place to start.

As for yonkyo, I think Ron is right. I focus on proper position and extension and the movement works regardless of the nerve. Of course, my wife never misses the nerves in my arms....

Cheers,
Garth
Old 01-05-2009, 07:21 AM   #34
Takuan
Dojo: Circulo de Aikido
Brazil

I found that a great way to be "reminded" of the great variety of techniques in aikido are the DVDs of Christian Tissier. There are 3 DVDs I recommend, "Immobilizations", "Projections" and "Aplications". Of course, to consider the full gamut of techniques you should consider weapon taking as well, but these 3 DVDs cover all basic techniques with detail and great attention.