Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-30-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Jake Warren
United_States
Gi suggestions?

I recently started training and got a Gi from E-bogu. I got a cheaper one just to see if I wanted to continue doing Aikido and decided if I liked it, I would get a nice one from Bu Jin design because I've seen all of the raving reviews.

Well I went to do that on Sunday and of course.. Bu Jin is no more...

I've also heard good things about Tozando on this forum, but I'm not sure which one I should get. Right now, my main frustration with my Gi is the pants. I am constantly pulling them up while training and it's really annoying. One of the guys at my dojo has a nice pair of pants that has an elastic wastband with no drawstrings. He got it from his old dojo though, so I can't just go grab that brand.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a new Gi that is comparable to the quality of a Bu Jin? If nothing else, I'd like to have a pair of pants that don't distract me during class.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Gi suggestions?

Jake,

The E-Bogu deluxe model is really a nice gi. For around $100, it is good quality, nice and heavy, but soft and comfortable. I like mine. I have several double weave from Japan (Besu brand) and I like them much better, but they are over twice the cost. All mine have the drawstring waists though, so that doesn't satisfy your requirements.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 03-30-2010, 09:16 AM   #3
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Why do drawstring pants pose a problem for you? I ask because I've been using Tozando gis with drawstring pants for six years and have never had to adjust them in the middle of practice. My gi top and my hakama, yes, occasionally, but not the pants.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Jake Warren
United_States

I'm not against drawstrings specifically. I just do not like the ones I have since they never stay up unless I tighten them to the point where it's almost painful.

I just mentioned his non-drawstring pant because it seemed to make a lot more sense than having drawstring pants.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #5
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Jake Warren wrote: View Post
I'm not against drawstrings specifically. I just do not like the ones I have since they never stay up unless I tighten them to the point where it's almost painful....
after you 'draw the strings' then tie, try folding the waste down over the bow/knot. that should keep it from untying, and should also hike up your pants a little

practice hard