Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-27-2004, 09:58 AM   #26
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Re: Poll: Which art do you think is more physically effective - judo or aikido?

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
I am sure you are right, I have been saying that my opinion applies to Aikido in general and how it is usually trained. Of course there are excepetions, there are some Judo dojos that practice very horribly as well.

What it boils down to I think is that it is easier to get lazy in Aikido practice than Judo practice. In Judo if you get lazy you get your ass kicked in AIkido nothing really will happen.
Again...depends on where you train. Some teachers will chase you straight out the door...What people are consistantly saying to you is...AIKIDO IS NOT A MONOLITH...

Ron (can you hear me now?) Tisdale

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 06-03-2005, 11:43 PM   #27
Red Beetle
Dojo: Ithaca
United_States

Several of my good friends are experts in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. By expert I mean that they have trained hard for over 10 years and they are ranked under guys like Marc Laimon and Geraldo Boone. In the dojo, they can give you all you want on the ground. They are also bouncers at a local bar. One guy who worked with them, and had done hard core BJJ training for about 3 years (a solid blue belt) had to ask a rowdy guy to leave one night. The confrontation went bad, and the rowdy guy ended up kicking the shit out of the blue belt. Another guy, who worked with them, and had only been training for several months rushed over stepped in, and after dodging several punches got the guy down and choked him out.

Now, this really embarrassed the blue belt. Not only did he get the worst of the confrontation, but a guy who had only been training a short time in the same style (and who was smaller than him) had done what he thought he should have done. Some people wonder about such things, but I understand how events like this can happen.

Like the guy who posted the line from Mike Tyson: Everybody has a strategy until you punch them in the mouth.
Sometimes this is more true than you can know.
You can train for years, and when it is time to execute...you just freeze.
Things can happen so fast that one second some guy is asking you what you are looking at, and the next second (before you could even say--'huh') the same guy is punching you in the face for the third time.

I saw one guy, an awesome fighter, get sucker punched one night. He was so stunned that by the time he snapped out of his I-can't-believe -that-guy-just-popped-me-in-the-eye-trance that the punk had darted out the door and was gone. He was left with a black eye, and people wanted to know why he didn't use his deadly Brazilian Jiu-jitsu on the guy. In the movies, the good guy often wins, but in real life strange things that are hard to explain happen.

I got to tell you about this crap that happened to one of my friends. He was very well trained in grappling and boxing. He had been in countless fights and only backed down if a weapon was brandished and he had none. That being said I will continue.

This guy goes over to his girlfriends house who is having a cook out. Besides the girls family being there, there are these two other guys present when he gets to her house. They are clearly flirting with the girl, and this makes my friend jealous. They start having words, and an argument ensues. One of the guys takes a plate of hot dogs and throws it on my friend's head, covering him with chilly and mustard. When my friend turned to face the evil hot dog attacker, the other guy shoved him off of the patio (now that my friend was distracted), and my friend rolled all the way down this muddy hill while his girlfriend and her family watched. By the time my friend got back up the hill the two guys had got in their car and left. My friend comes over to my house covered in mud, chilly, and mustard and demands that I go with him to look for these two guys. After laughing my ass off at the story, I told him that no beating he could give those two would ever make up for the embarrassment he suffered. He said that his girlfriend's family was even laughing at him as he rolled down the hill. I advised him to never go back over there again, and find another girlfriend. He would not listen, so we went looking for these guys for a couple of days (we never found them thank God). When word got around about the infamous hot dog incident, my friend ended up having to beat up 3 or 4 other guys before people would stop making fun of him to his face. The point is that no matter how good you are, there is no way to completely control the innumerable factors that could occur during a confrontation. And, to this day, I have yet to see a dojo prepare their students for a possible surprise hot dog attack!

Red Beetle
www.kingsportjudo.com

Last edited by Red Beetle : 06-03-2005 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:19 AM   #28
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Monty Collier wrote:
my friend ended up having to beat up 3 or 4 other guys before people would stop making fun of him to his face.
He didn't "have" to beat them up. He wanted to beat them up.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 06-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #29
Red Beetle
Dojo: Ithaca
United_States

Quote:
Bronson Diffin wrote:
He didn't "have" to beat them up. He wanted to beat them up.

Bronson
Oh yes, he wanted to beat them up.
It was not necessary, but it did accomplish what he wanted: which was that people stop cracking on him to his face. People still come up to me and laugh about the story. It is funny. Ha ha ha.
Red Beetle
Old 06-04-2005, 11:02 PM   #30
Chef CJ
Dojo: Green Bay Aikikai
United_States

I have only trained in Aikido and have not been in a position to observe much Judo, so I did not vote on this one. What I would like to share is some good words which I think are relevant. I was once talking about some styles which I had been exposed to in the past with a student very much my senior in Aikido. He listened and then said "Any style of budo is effective if properly performed, I concern myself only with the study of Aikido because I can always improve my technique and there are still plenty of things I can learn."

In my path to coming to Aikido, I spent time examining as many styles as I had access to before settling on the one I have. After beginning study as an Aikidoka, I wondered questions of effectiveness once and a while also. The above statement helped me to wonder no more. If a man who has studied Aikido for nearly 40 years still has things to learn , then I do not think that I need to look around but concentrate more on my own technique.

Also another statement comes to mind which I can only paraphrase as I do not have it here in front of me, but it came from a question and answer session with a Shihan. The question was baically asked if Aikido was effective against the karate kick? The answer was, if you train for a karate kick , you train for the wrong reason. Aikido is an effective defense when done correctly but the building of character and control over mind and body are the real goal for me at least.

I understand that many Aikidoka may not feel the same as I do. I am in this training for me. To learn the technique and to challenge myself to make it as good as I can, not to use it in a practical situation. I hope to never have to and that is Aikido to me as well. Acheiving peace thru whatever path is neccessary be it calming actions , words or good technique that is so clean that we come to an agreement quickly.

Thank you for your time.

CJ
Old 06-04-2005, 11:22 PM   #31
Sanshouaikikai
Dojo: Kin Tora Martial Arts and Fitness Center
United_States

Quote:
Monty Collier wrote:
Like the guy who posted the line from Mike Tyson: Everybody has a strategy until you punch them in the mouth.
Sometimes this is more true than you can know.
You can train for years, and when it is time to execute...you just freeze.
I TOTALLY agree with you on that one! I do think however that it is essential to always get first blood...to just know what you're opponent is going to do and intercept his attack before he even does it...or at least while it's in mid air, you know? (That is of course if you're the type of person who gets into "fights") However, the bottom line is...it's not how much you know and how long you've practiced it...but how much you have actually "absorbed" and are able to apply both effectively and efficiently! So like in this story...the blue belt only know "head" knowledge of what to do, his BJJ was around his waist not in his heart and mind where as the beginner...well...his BJJ was in the right place at the right time.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:00 AM   #32
SeiserL

United_States

as always, IMHO, styles are not "physically more effective", people are.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!