Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-04-2001, 06:41 AM   #1
wildaikido
Dojo: Hans de Jong Self Defence School
Australia
Lightbulb A needle!!!

We have been talking about gun taking which I think are advanced techniques. Also there was a little discussion about knife taking and most schools in my knowledge practice knife taking.
I fell that if someone pulled a knife on my I have a good chance of taking it of them with minimal injury to me. But what would you do if someone pulled a used needle on you? I don't mind getting some cuts but a needle quite frankly scares me, just after some opinions.

Graham Wild
Old 05-04-2001, 06:50 AM   #2
andrew
Dojo: NUI, Galway Aikido Club.
Re: A needle!!!

That is scary. Co-operate and/or run is all I can think of.
In Ireland, you get charged for attempted murder with that, whether the syringe is infected or not.
andrew
Old 05-04-2001, 07:43 AM   #3
Mark Cochran
Ive heard of a few instances were a mugger has used a needle to get his will. I think only in one instace was the needle actualy tainted and not just a bluff. You could probably use the same techniques aganst the needle that you would against a stabbing attack witha knife. Also even if the needle pentrates the skin the stopper has to be drepressed. Small comfort. O.k. how bout this. HIV can only survive out side the body for 12 to 24 hours. If I recall correctly. Secoundly it take a large injection of several hundred active viruses for HIV to take hold. Apperently one lone virus cannot do it alone. Plus you would bleed from the wound, the blood would push the viruse from you body. HIV is scary but you could defend your self aganst a needle. If worst come to worst keep some distace and use kick to the weapon hand. Then again you could simply say "yes sir here is my wallet" Tose it to him and run like hell. This is something a former DEA agent once told me. If the suspect doesn't kill you as soon as he pulls his weapon. Chances are he won't kill you. You all can debate the truth of that statement. Hope I was some help.

The meek shall inherit the earth. It is our duty to seek out and protect them.
Old 05-04-2001, 09:55 AM   #4
aiki_what
"aiki_what"
IP Hash: 9fbb21a4
Anonymous User
Needle

What about an elephant? What are you going to do if there is no room to tenkan?

Geez...if you stick to basic principles then the weapon shouldn't matter...only the distance.
Old 05-04-2001, 11:37 AM   #5
mj
Re: Needle

Quote:
Originally posted by aiki_what
What about an elephant? What are you going to do if there is no room to tenkan?

Geez...if you stick to basic principles then the weapon shouldn't matter...only the distance.
heh heh...
Also, why throw the wallet and then run. Keep the wallet, you'll go faster! Or wave it it front of them first...

Seriously, in Scotland people have also been jailed for attempted murder for the needle thing.