Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #1
ChrisMoses
Dojo: TNBBC (Icho Ryu Aiki Budo), Shinto Ryu IaiBattojutsu
United_States
kenbu and shibu

If iaido is the middle child of Japanese budo, then kenbu is probably the red headed stepchild. For those of you unfamiliar, kenbu is "sword dancing". It's not very well represented in the West, but you'd know it if you saw it. Long very precise kata often done pretty slowly almost always to some rockin' shakuhachi music. Good times. Anyway, a friend pointed me to this video the other day. I can't confirm which school of kenbu this is from, but it's supposedly from the same line that my iaibattojutsu ryu-ha evolved out of. There are a number of movements that she does that are characteristic of Shinto Ryu (but that could be said of many ryu-ha). Anyway, as I was watching this video, I was reminded of something that a kenbu teacher told me a few years back. It was his assertion that many of the 'secrets' of Shinto Ryu were hidden in the shibu (fan dances) and kenbu. I have to say that I see a lot of *potential* in the movements that she demonstrates in this video as a body training system. In our line, the kenbu (剣武) portion of our ryu-ha eventually split into the kenbu (剣舞) and Iai-Battojutsu (居合抜刀術) lines. We're both part of the same ryu-ha, but it's taught separately by different shihan. My group only studies the Iaibattojutsu curriculum, but this material is based on the earlier kenbu material. I decided to post this link after reading Mike's quote below in the workshop thread.

Quote:
Mike Sigman wrote: View Post
These skills and methods are also the basis for many qigongs, for sho-do, for iaido, for the tea ceremony, and so on, when they're done correctly.
Anyway, I thought that video and this other kenshibu video might be of interest to some of the folks who have been playing with any of the bodyskill exercises that we've been talking about.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to imply anything here, I just think there are some interesting movements going on in these videos.

Chris Moses
TNBBC, "Putting the ME in MEdiocre!"
Budo Tanren at Seattle School of Aikido
Shinto Ryu Iai-Battojutsu
Old 02-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #2
MM
United_States
Re: kenbu and shibu

Quote:
Christian Moses wrote: View Post
Anyway, as I was watching this video, I was reminded of something that a kenbu teacher told me a few years back. It was his assertion that many of the 'secrets' of Shinto Ryu were hidden in the shibu (fan dances) and kenbu.
Weird. I study kali and my instructor states something similar. That there are a lot of "secrets" in our system within the old dances.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #3
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Really enjoyed those Chris!

Best,
Ron (am I the only one who kept looking at her ankles? )

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 02-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #4
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States

Yeah, not just hidden in plain sight -- hidden all over...

Funny, I saw some taiko and kyogen the other night and there it was. Maybe not IT, maybe just potential. Anyway I leaned over to a friend and said look at that, there is all this budo stuff in there and you find it all over the place in the Japanese arts.

It also reminded me of the story of Takeda correcting the stepping of a famous Noh actor. There it goes again.

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 02-29-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
Josh Reyer

Japan

Quote:
Chris Moses wrote:
If iaido is the middle child of Japanese budo, then kenbu is probably the red headed stepchild.
My God, the inherent truth of this metaphor is sublime.

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Ron (am I the only one who kept looking at her ankles?
No, Ron, you're just the only one to freely admit your fetishes. :-)

One of my former English students is a natori and heir to a classical Japanese dance (日本舞踊 Nihon Buyo) ryuha. I went to a performance of his ryu, and was amazed. Try this experiment - keeping your back straight, bend your legs and lower your rear end as if you were sitting on a chair. Hold it for a minute, if you can. Be sure to keep yourself from leaning forward and putting your weight over your knees. I dare say even those in fine shape, with strong, powerful legs would find it hard to last one minute, let alone two. Now, imagine holding that pose for lengths at a time, even walking in it, while manipulating umbrellas and prop swords, all without raising your hips. Watching my student do this, I thought back to the Aunkai exercises Rob John showed me, and how standing in a "sitting" position had rivers of sweat rolling down my face after 20-30 seconds. I don't know if the top buyo dancers have "internal strength"; I suppose with enough practice the right muscles just get strengthed. But I do wonder if their training doesn't give them the kind of "structure" so that they could easily adapt to Akuzawa's method. Mind you, I'm talking about the hard core dancers here - soke/iemoto and natori, not just any buyo hobbiests.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 02-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Fetishes??? What Fetishes???

I started searching on quite a bit of this, and found it very illuminating. Good points all,

Best,
Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)