Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 08-14-2001, 09:24 AM   #1
andrea anzalone
Dojo: Scuola di Aiki-Do Tadashi Abe
Meannig of Ikkyo

Meanning of ikkyo
I'd like to know which is the porpous of ikkyo. why ikkyo is the first and no other one.
In other words which is the deep meaning of ikkyo.
thanks
andrea
Old 08-14-2001, 05:16 PM   #2
Phil Traunstein
Dojo: Red Sun Aikido
Andrea,
I was told at the beginning of my study of Aikido that if one studies the technique of ikkyo from all attacks and variations one will have learned what is required to perform practically any Aikido technique. After many years of practice I believe the assertion. Ikkyo contains the essence of Aikido. It is, therefore, the first or primary or cornerstone technique. It works quite well also.
Phil

"Reality is quite different from
our concepts."
Thich Nhat Hanh
Old 08-16-2001, 03:08 AM   #3
andrea anzalone
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Traunstein
Andrea,
I was told at the beginning of my study of Aikido that if one studies the technique of ikkyo from all attacks and variations one will have learned what is required to perform practically any Aikido technique. After many years of practice I believe the assertion. Ikkyo contains the essence of Aikido. It is, therefore, the first or primary or cornerstone technique. It works quite well also.
Phil
Thanks for your answer Phil,
unfortunately for me the question rest: which is "this" "essence" about you speak? And: is it correct to call Ikkyo "technique"?
Regards
andrea
Old 08-16-2001, 05:41 AM   #4
Kami
Dojo: ShinToKai DoJo of AiKiDo
Question Meaning of Ikkyo

Quote:
Originally posted by andrea anzalone

Thanks for your answer Phil,
unfortunately for me the question rest: which is "this" "essence" about you speak? And: is it correct to call Ikkyo "technique"?
Regards
andrea
KAMI : Have you asked your teacher, Pierre Chassang Sensei? He might have your answer.
Have a good keiko

"We are all teachers, and what we teach is what we need to learn, and so we teach it over and over again until we learn it".
Unknown author

Ubaldo Alcantara
Old 08-16-2001, 06:05 AM   #5
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Just a few ideas, probably change my mind on this in the future:

ikkyo has much of the essence of aikido because

i. ukes hands are directly related to their intension (i.e. if they block you can do ikkyo on the blocking hand, if they attack, you can do ikkyo on their attacking hand)

ii. the extension of ukes arm is directly related to the control of their centre, and the over-extension of uke (as Ueshiba said, anyone is powerless outside their own circle of power - or something like that).

I do not think it is just coincidence that ikkyo is also an important technique in kung-fu/tai-chi push hands excercises. The interplay between extension and over-extension will effect who does ikkyo on whom.

However, although I think a complete grasp of ikkyo may give you a complete understanding of ikkyo, I would consider that all the techniques in aikido make one whole - there are no 'new' techniques to be discovered nor techniques which can be removed. I've only realised recently that there are not really any seperate techniques (and this isn't philosophical bullshit) and that these techniques just appear out of no-where if you are keeping the balance between yin & yang.

Ian
Old 08-16-2001, 06:50 AM   #6
andrea anzalone
Re: Meaning of Ikkyo

Quote:
Originally posted by Kami

KAMI : Have you asked your teacher, Pierre Chassang Sensei? He might have your answer.
Have a good keiko
hi kami,
yes i have. Hovever, martially speaking, aikido thaught me to verify as more as possible to avoid to rest superficial (I hope this is the right word!). This is the reason for which I demand your opinion and the opinion of the other aiki friends.
Best
andrea
Old 08-16-2001, 06:59 AM   #7
andrea anzalone
Quote:
Originally posted by ian
Just a few ideas, probably change my mind on this in the future:

ikkyo has much of the essence of aikido because

i. ukes hands are directly related to their intension (i.e. if they block you can do ikkyo on the blocking hand, if they attack, you can do ikkyo on their attacking hand)

ii. the extension of ukes arm is directly related to the control of their centre, and the over-extension of uke (as Ueshiba said, anyone is powerless outside their own circle of power - or something like that).

I do not think it is just coincidence that ikkyo is also an important technique in kung-fu/tai-chi push hands excercises. The interplay between extension and over-extension will effect who does ikkyo on whom.

However, although I think a complete grasp of ikkyo may give you a complete understanding of ikkyo, I would consider that all the techniques in aikido make one whole - there are no 'new' techniques to be discovered nor techniques which can be removed. I've only realised recently that there are not really any seperate techniques (and this isn't philosophical bullshit) and that these techniques just appear out of no-where if you are keeping the balance between yin & yang.

Ian
thanks for your answer Ian,
it's really interesting. First of now i didn't know that there was something like ikkyo in kung fu and taichi: could you give me more referrences?
(p.S. iRELAND IS WONDERFUL!)
BESTS
ANDREA
Old 09-14-2001, 02:43 AM   #8
Rutger
Dojo: Renshin Dojo Geraardsbergen
Belgium
Meanning of ikkyo

Ikkyo represent the manifestation of your own control in life. It is expressing your existance where you stand.

Ikkyo is the basic of all pinningtechniques in aikido. It represents the square. Before you throw someone or when you hit or pin someone.

In Budo there is no other technique, that is so difficult in controling your opponent.

so I think, Rutger.

Bart
Old 09-14-2001, 01:22 PM   #9
JMCavazos
Dojo: Aikido Center of South Texas
United_States
Andrea,

My understanding of ikkyo is that it is a controlling move. From ikkyo you can go to almost another technique. I have found that it is really important to take your uke's balance, then control your uke. I am not sure why O'Sensei made that particular movement and called the movement ikkyo. (By the way, ikkyo means "technique number one") Maybe he felt that taking control was one of the more important things in aikido - I don't know.

Try controlling the uke by keeping your one-point above the arm and extending your ki down. I am not sure how far along you are in aikido, but just remember that it takes a really long time to understand the underlying principles to the techniques.
Old 09-26-2001, 08:19 AM   #10
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Quote:
Originally posted by andrea anzalone

thanks for your answer Ian,
it's really interesting. First of now i didn't know that there was something like ikkyo in kung fu and taichi: could you give me more referrences?
(p.S. iRELAND IS WONDERFUL!)
BESTS
ANDREA
Sorry for not getting back to you - I tend to visit this site in bursts. I only know these things from training with people who have done Tai Chi and Kung Fu, and I have seen some stuff on the web, but I can't remember where that is now.

I presume you want references for research purposes.

http://www.budoseek.net/

is a good site to investigate other martial arts - they would be able to give you more authoritative info (many have chat rooms etc - but it may necessitate describing what you mean by ikkyo to them!)

Ian
Old 09-29-2001, 04:06 AM   #11
C. de Boisblanc
Dojo: Aikibudokan Dojo
Ikkyo

First teaching; refers in aikido to a basic technique in which the
attacker is unbalanced through the application of pressure on the elbow and shoulder of his outstretched arm which is followed by a pinning movement which immobilizes the opponent's arm at a 45 degree angle to his body with pressure applied to both the elbow and wrist. Formerly called IKKAJO, Morihei Ueshiba demonstrating ikkyo (ikkajo) Uke: Shigemi Yonekawa, Noma Dojo (1935) a term still used in YOSHINKAN AIKIDO and DAITO-RYU AIKIJUJUTSU.