Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-24-2006, 07:54 AM   #1
Mato-san
Iceland
Futari Gake

Ok,
lets keep it shallow see how we go!
Recently I was at play in our dojo in Futari Gake, just a combo of some Yokomenuchi kotegaeshi irimi/tenkan.
A regular play, but different waza each day.
In this particular play I went for an evasive outlook,(rather than a head on approach),guess you could say I was mixing it up! I used one ukemi to evade an attack from another direction, moving in 8 as we are taught. I played the whole game this way. In doing this I was evading well against a highly ranked student in our dojo.
Sensei called a halt and after I was about to take seiza thats when the highly ranked student decided to take a sword strike toward my lower legs.(Well after senseis call)
Does anyone think this was out of place? Being a gajiin here in Japan ,I have no idea what to think of this, but find it in a moral kind of way downright disrespectful. But I am sure sensei keeps his notes. Please advise? I am certain the student respects me but I am confused ?

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 01-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States
Re: Futari Gake

Sensei didn't say anything to the guy?

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 01-24-2006, 09:19 PM   #3
nekobaka
Dojo: Washinkai (Kizu)
Japan

In my experience, sensei doesn't tell people when they are being out of line. there is an old man who comes on saturdays that routinely practices in a dangerous way. Most people really hate him and avoid him. Has sensei ever told him to cut it out, no. unfortunatly I don't have the guts to confront him, about the best I could do was say "ouch that hurt" "that's dangerous." Same thing when the university club comes for a seminar. they are way too rough, and sensei never addresses it. The other dojo I practice at is the opposite, people are constantly instructing in a "let's not hurt each other" way. Unfortunately some people take the martial aspect really seriously, and expect others to be on their toes at all times.

finally to answer your question, definitely out of line.
but I wouldn't take it personally, to a lot of people in my dojo, that would be messing around.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:03 AM   #4
Mato-san
Iceland

Thanks Ani,
I have not taken it seriously, I really think it was a bit of messing around it was probably a way of saying " you evade well but do not drop your guard or focus" It was not so aggressive like,I have not experienced that in our dojo, although the "lets not hurt each other" is a strong point here, I am on the east side of Japan and being a heavier, stronger type westerner my sensei is always stressing to me you must be gental and I do just that. Its more about perfecting the waza for me not useing my strength and physical power to impose on other peoples journey. Though if I ever had to use a waza in the street I`d say I would tweak that sankyo a little harder. I appreciate your feedback.

Before you drive or steer your vehicle, you must first start the engine, release the brake and find gear!
Old 01-25-2006, 09:30 AM   #5
Mato-san
Iceland

Something to your post also Ani, my take on your situation.
Maybe your sensei deep down adores that "martial aspect", and trys hard to not promote it, I know there are situations at our dojo were the sensei gets a little into it ,and displays a "martial" type waza and then it clicks for him and he says oohh stop, don`t try this at home kids! This is also a learning curve for us, but really some private lessons would be somewhat benificial ,dont you think?
He doe`s not have to give everyone the goods when they is not ready for it! But in a sense he just wants to give all he has! Being a teacher I can relate to that sh##. And I just love it!!!!!