Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
James Sawers

Dojo: Oak Park Aikikai, IL
United_States
Heroism...???

I've noticed the past few years that the word "hero" is thrown about rather cavalierly (to me, anyway), so I was wondering, especially this Memorial Day, what other people out there think the definition of "heroism" or "hero" is? To start us off, I've come across a couple that caught my attention:

Heroism is the brilliant triumph of the soul over the flesh. - Henri Frederic Amiel

Heroism: To put yourself in harm's way for someone else, while, at the same time attempting to accomplish some worthy goal or objective, which is not personally self-serving. James Darwin

Thoughts?

Thanks, Jim....

Zazen emptiness
Sitting under the moon
Mosquitoes whine in glee
Old 05-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #2
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Re: Heroism...???

Mmmm, lately or modern day......"the glorifying of a persons acts or deeds". About sums it up for me.

Peace.G.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
James Sawers

United_States

Is this "glorifying" good or bad, or...??

Zazen emptiness
Sitting under the moon
Mosquitoes whine in glee
Old 05-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
graham christian
England

Quote:
James Sawers wrote: View Post
Is this "glorifying" good or bad, or...??
Mmmm, depends where it's used and thus for what purpose. Can be very manipulative.

Some brave acts are very stupid. So stupidity can be glorified to suit some agenda in essence.

Good philosophical question though.

Peace.G.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:48 AM   #5
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

A Hero is born in the eyes of those they serve.

William Hazen
Old 05-27-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
James Sawers

United_States

So, "hero" is just a subjective opinion, then, with no objective reality??

Zazen emptiness
Sitting under the moon
Mosquitoes whine in glee
Old 05-27-2013, 02:01 AM   #7
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

A hero is anyone who heeds the call to adventure and follows the thread of the hero path.
Old 05-27-2013, 02:11 AM   #8
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Quote:
Things which are objectively real can be measured, and almost always by a device available at your local hardware store. Asking for the herometer aisle at your local Home Depot will yield unsatisfying results. That is because being a hero lives in language, is part of the human experience, and is fundamentally subjective.
Old 05-27-2013, 03:47 AM   #9
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

The lady that stood up to the madman in London. I mean like Wow.

But I agree the term is really useless in its current application. It should be applied to individual action (could be part of a group) rather than a membership of that group.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 05-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #10
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Benjamin Edelen wrote: View Post
Things which are objectively real can be measured, and almost always by a device available at your local hardware store. Asking for the herometer aisle at your local Home Depot will yield unsatisfying results.
it called the Stud Finder, for less than $70. got two. damn things keep beeping when it near me.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 05-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #11
Aikibu
Dojo: West Wind Dojo Santa Monica California
United_States

Quote:
Yes.

William Hazen
Old 05-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #12
James Sawers

United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
it called the Stud Finder, for less than $70. got two. damn things keep beeping when it near me.
Yes, I can hear it from here......

Sometimes when someone gets a medal, "above and beyond the call of duty" is a phrase that is mentioned; but, I agree that that lady that stood up to that hacker in London is someone special.

Zazen emptiness
Sitting under the moon
Mosquitoes whine in glee
Old 05-28-2013, 07:06 AM   #13
lbb
United_States

You say that the term "hero" is currently overused, but what's new? The word "hero" has connotations not of intrinsic character, but of the opinion and esteem of others. A "hero" is always in other people's opinion, and being a "hero" has always owed more to one's public profile than to one's character and deeds. You do a worthy deed that no one hears about? Then you're not a hero. Simple as that.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #14
James Sawers

United_States

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
You say that the term "hero" is currently overused, but what's new? The word "hero" has connotations not of intrinsic character, but of the opinion and esteem of others. A "hero" is always in other people's opinion, and being a "hero" has always owed more to one's public profile than to one's character and deeds. You do a worthy deed that no one hears about? Then you're not a hero. Simple as that.
So, if a hero farts in the woods and there is no one there to hear it, then there is no fart - or, hero?
Old 05-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #15
jonreading

Dojo: Aikido South
United_States

Bravery is possessing knowledge and skills to accomplish a task and the willingness to do so.
Courage is undertaking a task with knowledge of the consequences.
A hero is an individual who demonstrates bravery and courage in accomplishing a task of altruistism.

The task of altruism is, of course, not self-defined and subject to the opinion of others. As Mary points out, I think the term is used more as a compliment of opinion, rather than a qualification based upon criteria. This gives the term more flexibility.

Jon Reading
Old 05-28-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
James Sawers

United_States

So, is heroism the act or the perception of the act??

I also think that the "hero" does have connotations of intrinsic character. The hero is supposed to be someone to model behavior after - not just because of what the hero did, but because of who the hero is (implied by the "heroic" behavior, granted).

Take Benjamin's "heroic quest", for instance. The hero undertakes this because of who (s)he is.......no?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:18 PM   #17
graham christian
England

Quote:
So, is heroism the act or the perception of the act??

I also think that the "hero" does have connotations of intrinsic character. The hero is supposed to be someone to model behavior after - not just because of what the hero did, but because of who the hero is (implied by the "heroic" behavior, granted).

Take Benjamin's "heroic quest", for instance. The hero undertakes this because of who (s)he is.......no?
Basically I would say to look at it as a word used like a superlative ie: 'an heroic act or deed' etc.

So the implication in all definitions is one of beyond the norm. In a military sense then that would be colloquially above and beyond the call of duty type action.

When it comes to subjective then if for you someone did something beyond the norm you could consider it heroic from your viewpoint. So we have the real and the perceived both.

That's my two pence again

Peace.G.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:24 AM   #18
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
I would go even one step further:

"Hero" is not only an individual opinion but a deliberate interpretation used by opinion leaders.

Here in Germany the word "hero" is rarely used and has a flavour, because of it's utilisation during the two dictatorships in the last century.

There has been a parallel to the US Memorial Day here in Germany during the Third Reich. It was invented by the Nazis and was called "Day of Commemoration of our Heroes". After WWII was over this practice endet. Until now the usage of the word "hero" refering to soldieriship is only found in extrem right-winged circles called "Neo-Nazis".

In the communist part of Germany, the GDR the word "hero" was used for workers who overfullfilled their given target of work or who displayed a deep enthusiasm for the political system in their sayings or writings. Both for to show that the systems works and that the time when capitalism will have to surrender is near.

So in my ears - and not only mine - a "hero" is someone who is (mis)used by a certain regime, political system or group. And the hero of one group may be a criminal in the eyes of another.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:25 AM   #19
lbb
United_States

Quote:
So, if a hero farts in the woods and there is no one there to hear it, then there is no fart - or, hero?
Pretty much, yeah. It's a necessary but not (always) sufficient condition that a hero be celebrated as such. It's sort of like a prodigy. Know what a prodigy is? That's a bright kid with plenty of opportunity and a big cheering section. Take those two things away, and all you've got is another kid that nobody cares about.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #20
James Sawers

United_States

Quote:
Carsten Möllering wrote: View Post
I would go even one step further:

"Hero" is not only an individual opinion but a deliberate interpretation used by opinion leaders.

Here in Germany the word "hero" is rarely used and has a flavour, because of it's utilisation during the two dictatorships in the last century.

There has been a parallel to the US Memorial Day here in Germany during the Third Reich. It was invented by the Nazis and was called "Day of Commemoration of our Heroes". After WWII was over this practice endet. Until now the usage of the word "hero" refering to soldieriship is only found in extrem right-winged circles called "Neo-Nazis".

In the communist part of Germany, the GDR the word "hero" was used for workers who overfullfilled their given target of work or who displayed a deep enthusiasm for the political system in their sayings or writings. Both for to show that the systems works and that the time when capitalism will have to surrender is near.

So in my ears - and not only mine - a "hero" is someone who is (mis)used by a certain regime, political system or group. And the hero of one group may be a criminal in the eyes of another.
Thanks for this posting, Carsten.......So, it seems that "hero" can have different connotations/interpretations in different countries/cultures, not all of them positive.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:26 AM   #21
dps

Quote:
I've noticed the past few years that the word "hero" is thrown about rather cavalierly (to me, anyway), so I was wondering, especially this Memorial Day, what other people out there think the definition of "heroism" or "hero" is?
Chuck Norris

dps
Old 05-31-2013, 05:46 AM   #22
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, it doesn't matter what its called, hero or warrior, just show up and do the right thing.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 05-31-2013, 06:25 AM   #23
Joe Bowen

Dojo: Yongsan Aikikai
South Korea

Read Joseph Cambell. He has written extensively on comparative mythology and talks quite a bit about the mythological "heroes" and the cultural significance of the "Hero's Journey". Two books to recommend, The Power of Myth and A Hero with a Thousand Faces. May not be quite the story of the hero you are looking for but will give you another perspective.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:33 AM   #24
lbb
United_States

Or get a copy of "The Heroic Age" by Stratis Haviaras. It's a brilliant book about a boy surviving "the heroic age" during the Greek civil war.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #25
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Or get a copy of "The Heroic Age" by Stratis Haviaras. It's a brilliant book about a boy surviving "the heroic age" during the Greek civil war.
Dear Mary,
Read 'No name on the Bullet' the biography of Audie Murphy.Audie made Rambo, Chuck Norris, Arnie look like big girls blouses.He is buried in Arlington Cemetery.A true hero, not the crap you get nowadays [like overpaid footballers etc ], Cheers, Joe.