Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Weapons

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 04-09-2005, 02:36 AM   #51
samurai_kenshin

Dojo: Aikido of San Leandro
United_States
Re: Throwing Spikes?

Quote:
Thomas Dixon wrote:
BJJ is just modified Japanese Jujutsu. You wear Gi's and all during training. I bid you to at least check it out.
Well i said I may, so soon, and i'll tell you what I think of it!

Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment.
-Barry LePatner
Old 04-10-2005, 01:42 AM   #52
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Don't do it James!

Don't give in to the pressure. If it doesn't interest you you don't have to go...no matter how many people say how great it is

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 04-10-2005, 02:59 PM   #53
MitchMZ
Dojo: Prairie-Aikikai
United_States

My BJJ experience has actually been a bad thing on some levels. For instance, today in randori I starting taking guys down to the ground and staying with them...the other guys came and pinned me down. Simply put, instictively going to the ground makes for some nasty habits when fighting multiples. But, on the flip side, knowing how to fight on the ground is also very important. My opinion, do more Aikido before you go to BJJ. Just like most modern systems, it is not a complete art...but instead is rather specialized.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:20 AM   #54
Chuck.Gordon
United_States

The reasons the Army Combatives Manual went to BJJ-based (rather than the Danzan Ryu JJ base that it had used since the 50s), are several. The guys who were tasked with re-crafting the Combatives Field Manual had BJJ backgrounds. Also, they wanted to create a system wherein some competition could be introduced. If soldiers can compete, they're more likely to practice. The concept is streamlined and fairly simple, for ease of instruction.

From a conversation I had with one of th eauthors a couple of years ago, and some more recent chats with folks teaching the combatives program on the ground, this represents a fairly major change in the way unarmed combatives are perceived by soldiers. Previously, the combatives were taught, sproadically, if at all (outside some of the specops venues), an dif taught, were then shelved in favor of more time on the range.

The BJJ-based approach has been more successful in engaging soldiers in the training, and in the competition associated with it.

Many of the proponents of the program make no bones about it being anything but a minor adjunct to the soldier's best friend, and a last resort.

However, in today's combat/peacekeeping/police action warfare, having some idea of what to do when you can't, or won't, shoot is a Good Thing, and more than a few stories are coming out of the sandbox about troops who wound up tussling rather than shooting.

Aikiweb member Kevin Leavitt has been teaching a self-developed combatives program to the 1-4 Infantry where he's stationed (not far from me). Good reviews on his stuff, and I've talked to him about it a bit. He's based it on aikido, and it's quite interesting.

Some of his guys just got back from a trip to Afghanistan last year (providing security for the elections). I haven't had a chance to talk to him to see if any of them had any applied experience.

Chuck

Last edited by Chuck.Gordon : 04-11-2005 at 02:26 AM.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:52 PM   #55
samurai_kenshin

United_States

look, i'm just checking it out. Probably nothing in my area anyway...

-Barry LePatner
Old 04-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #56
jester

United_States

Quote:
Randy Houck wrote:
i think that bo shurikens are better than shuriken (stars) or throwing knives
you can throw them just as far as a knife or star (still hitting the target)
I can hit an 18" log round from 50 feet with a 13 inch throwing knife.
I think that's impossible for a shuriken (spike).
The stars are called shaken not shuriken.

I would think the effective range for a typical shuriken is only about 18 feet max.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:52 PM   #57
Short_Stack
United_States

i'll remeber they are called dirrent thanks http://www.secrets-of-shuriken.com.au/index1.htm in that site the say the can be thrown 15-18 paces and i think paces are about a yard well me pace is a yard
Old 04-11-2005, 07:25 PM   #58
jester

United_States

I might be wrong on the distance thing. I'm going to the WWAC knife throwing tournament this weekend, and I talked to my friend who said he can throw a shuriken (spike) well out past 30 feet.

I'll bring some to see if he can do it. I haven't seen anyone ever do it from that distance before, but he's a top thrower so we'll see.

The spike, (like smaller cheap throwing knives), doesn't have enough mass to travel straight to the target, so it will float at greater distances.

I'll let you know.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:32 PM   #59
Short_Stack
United_States

like i said on the other repy up above some have said not to go over 14". I am using tent stakes for bo shuriken but the are bending slightly, it is throwing against some soft wood that is wet. so how would i make these stronger? thanks in advanced
Old 04-18-2005, 08:30 AM   #60
jester

United_States

You can get them tempered to make them stronger. I bought some tent stakes that work real well. I'll find out what brand they are and let you know.

Are you throwing into log rounds? If you can get some, they are the best thing in my opinion.
Cottonwood is the best, pine is good but sappy.

I saw a nice set of shuriken on ebay, but they were a bit pricey.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:03 PM   #61
Short_Stack
United_States

I am throwing them against plywood (however you spell it). i think it is its got like small kind long chip thing in one big board?. thanks for the help. do you think it is the wood thats mainly making it bend?
Old 04-18-2005, 04:55 PM   #62
Ibaraki Bryan

Dojo: Iwama Shinshin Aiki Shuren Juku
Japan

In Japan they use old tatami mats. I would never use wood for shuriken (well, I guess it depends on the spike and how much I cared about it). If you can't get ahold of old tatami in the States -- maybe you can get old carpet (check the dumpsters at carpet stores for scraps) and glue them to plywood, or wrap them around the plywood and tack them to the back.

Even tempered shuriken will lose their tip if you're just starting out . . .

Old 04-19-2005, 09:20 AM   #63
jester

United_States

Plywood is NOT any good for throwing into at all!!!

A knife will break right through it, and shurikens will bend for sure.

Tatami sounds like a good answer. You can also take about 10 flattened cardboard boxes compress them together and throw into them. They are good for small knives and use indoors.

Like I said, Cottonwood is great. Palm is good to but it has to dry out a bit. Pine is starting to get a little harder, and it's full of sap, but it works good to. I'll try to post some pics of my targets so you can see what I'm talking about. You want a log round that's at least 18 inches in circumfrence, and about 8-10 inches thick. When the face of the log gets chewed up, you can cut the top inch off and you will have a brand new surface.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:28 AM   #64
samurai_kenshin

United_States

I was right. Not much in my area for BJJ. Didn't look very impressive to me anyway...

-Barry LePatner
Old 05-01-2005, 01:04 AM   #65
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

You could try throwing them at a foam arrow target.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 05-01-2005, 11:25 AM   #66
thomas_dixon
United_States

Quote:
James Matarrese wrote:
I was right. Not much in my area for BJJ. Didn't look very impressive to me anyway...
Doesn't have to be impressive to be effective. It's a proven system for grappling, which is where you end up if you tackle a suspect. Your Aikido (IMO) won't be that help to you in law enforcement, because probably 9/10 times, the person is trying to get AWAY from you, not attack you like an idiot, unless they can't get away from you. (which is rare, because as you probably know (along with anyone who watches cops), people like to run)