Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-25-2006, 03:26 AM   #1
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada
A quick question regarding UK policemen.

Hello!

I was talking with friends the other day about aikido and one mentioned something that sounds a bit farfetched. Since I know nothing of it personally I thought I'd ask you folks:
He said that "UK policemen all learn aikido to blue belt level (2 levels below black)." (Quoted)
Sounds like hogwash - but there may be truth in the comment somewhere; whether that be in a modified program, local interest or other some such possibility.
Anyone have any information on this?
Thanks.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:50 AM   #2
Kerry Monument
United Kingdom
Re: A quick question regarding UK policemen.

Its hogwash as far as I know we have i local policeman trains with us. He showed us the police approved restraint techniques he was trained in. Any 5th kyu could have got out of them and put the officer in question on the floor.
The problem as i saw it is that the police are that worried about being sue for injury that the restrains have been so watered down as to be ineffective.
Old 01-25-2006, 03:53 AM   #3
Yann Golanski

Dojo: York Shodokan Aikido
United Kingdom

"Reasonable force" is the key word. It's up to the judge who hears the case to determine if what one used is or not -- there is NO standard in the UK.

That quote is untrue. Not all learn Aikido at all and there is no official police aikido schools. But some senor policman do come to class... they even teach me!

The people who understand, understand prefectly.
yann@york-aikido.org York Shodokan Aikido
Old 01-25-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
rottunpunk
Dojo: koteikan aikido centre
United Kingdom

i know some police forces are linked with local jitsu clubs, which may explain the belt colour.
theres no set rule though, and they tend to have inhouse defence and restraint training.
Old 01-25-2006, 08:31 AM   #5
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations

Simon Whitaker Sensei of Cambridge was at the last UKExtensions bash leading a workshop on "Aikido and Security." He is an ex-police officer and a yondan that works in the security sytem - recommend contacting him through the Cambridge Aiki dojo web site if this is an area of serious interest to anyone.

As understand it the amount of self defense and deescalation training most police officers receive is a few hours per year if they're lucky. IE - woeful. What training they do receive is often based on aikido/ jujitsu - so this may be the base of the story. There are of course a number of police officers like Whitaker Sensei who go and get trained of their own accord.

Mark

PS - Tell friend no, but that all Mounties now have to wrestle bears as part of their training :-)
Old 01-25-2006, 09:29 AM   #6
DaveO
Dojo: Great Wave Aikido
Canada

Thanks for the info friends; I was certain that was the case but I needed verification.

Quote:
Mark Walsh wrote:
PS - Tell friend no, but that all Mounties now have to wrestle bears as part of their training :-)
Actually - that was the case; along with having to outrun a crazed dogsled team and disarm a golden eagle on the wing.
Sadly; due to governmental cutbacks the training regime has been seriously modified.
Now they just have to koshinage a moose.

Answers are only easy when they're incomplete.
Old 01-25-2006, 09:54 AM   #7
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Hmmm, for the koshinage, I hope it's not a *male* moose, and if so, certainly not during rutting season...

Best,
Ron (pick up the soap??? what soap??? I don't see no stinkin' soap...)

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)