Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
gdandscompserv

United_States
Familial Transmission Of Budo

I have two son's that train under me. I often wish they had a more competant sensei, and I try to expose them to many different sensei's through the seminar circuit, but I am their main sensei. While speaking with my youngest about an upcoming event where my sensei will be visiting Washington DC we realized there would be a conflict with his football schedule. I asked him which was more important. After discussing it over a couple of days he said, "It's Yamaguchi sensei! I must go. Anyway, I'll be doing aikido the rest of my life whereas I'll only be doing football for a couple of years." Of course this made me very happy.
Just curious as to how many others here on Aikiweb train with their children and how they feel about the familial transmission of budo.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:24 AM   #2
Chuck Clark

Dojo: Jiyushinkan
United_States
Re: Familial Transmission Of Budo

Ricky, my son was taken into the dojo immediately after birth and he began training at his fifth birthday. Judo, aikibudo, and jodo were pretty much cradle languages for him. He still trains today in judo and aikibudo with me and he also does Shinto Muso ryu and another koryu with Phil Relnick Sensei. He's thirty-six years old and is also training two daughters of his own. And... I should mention that I'm kinda proud of him. He continues to cause me problems that enrich my practice and life which keep me learning and growing. We have a number of families in Jiyushinkai that train together.

Best of luck in your family budo practice.

Chuck Clark
Jiyushinkai Aikibudo
www.jiyushinkai.org
Old 06-06-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
gdandscompserv

United_States

Quote:
Chuck Clark wrote: View Post
Best of luck in your family budo practice.
Thank you Chuck.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
Roman Kremianski
Dojo: Toronto Aikikai
Canada

Don't have kids, but my little brother begged my folks to start Aikido 2 years after I did. Hard to care about Budo when you're 10 years old though. I'm glad you're not pushing your kids, because honestly it does not work.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:06 AM   #5
philipsmith
Dojo: Ren Shin Kan
United Kingdom

I look at this from the other perspective as the son of the late William Smith Shihan.
Familal transmission is fine as long as it's done in a western context and not as in the way of traditional ryu-ha.
I have seen problems where it is accepted by the instructor that their child will have a senior position as of right or is supressed in an attempt to overcompensate for their relationship.

It is difficult to keep a "professional" relationship on the mat but I think it is essential so that any child (or indeed sibling) forges their own path.