Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-14-2011, 09:36 AM   #151
kewms
Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Hi George,

Isn't that just a little bit sexist? The 'little lady' is able to hold her own intellectually with the boys, wow, I think I just slipped back to the early 20th century I normally admire your postings, but that one smacks of a pat on the head for the fiesty young lass.

Mary what do you think, am I being too sensitive on behalf of the sistas or are you happy to be held up as unusual for one of your gender to be mentally tough?
It would be sexist to say that women aren't mentally tough, but that wasn't the statement. Rather, it was observed that not many women post here, and particularly not in the more argumentative threads. That seems to me to be simply a statement of fact.

Katherine
Old 02-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #152
DH
United_States

Quote:
Hi George,

Isn't that just a little bit sexist? The 'little lady' is able to hold her own intellectually with the boys, wow, I think I just slipped back to the early 20th century I normally admire your postings, but that one smacks of a pat on the head for the fiesty young lass.

Mary what do you think, am I being too sensitive on behalf of the sistas or are you happy to be held up as unusual for one of your gender to be mentally tough?

regards,

Mark
p.s. I'm sure it wasn't meant as being patronising but you can't be too careful these days, can you?
I dunno...why can't it mean superior? Or ...wise in "opting out?"
I have trained with a bunch of women. I have a woman friend who trains here and reads all this..er...stuff. She equates much of the discussion here sometimes to boy's playing cowboys and indians..this time in skirts and wooden swords. She sees too much ego and not enough real listening.

Women and men are often different in how they approach things. I think it's delightful, and makes the world go round! If that makes me sexists, so be it. Tough charge to make against me when my Mom was one of the first executive glass ceiling breakers in the 60's and 38 of the executive's she trained that were placed in office above her...later supported her fight against the company (against their own best interests) and decades later came from all over the country to attend her funeral.
Cheers
Dan

Last edited by DH : 02-14-2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #153
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Hi George,

regards,

Mark
p.s. I'm sure it wasn't meant as being patronising but you can't be too careful these days, can you?
You'll notice that I said that most of my female friends. many of whom would make wonderful contributions here. won't do so because of the level of vituperation. As far as I am concerned, that's pretty much a fact. One of my friends who runs a dojo looked at the posts the other day and said she couldn't believe that amount of what she called "mud slinging". She has no interest in participating yet she would actually be wonderful to have posting.

How many women do you see here? Not many proportionally. While most of my senior male friends won't post either, for the same basic reasons... they feel it takes too much time to wade through all the BS just to get to the good stuff, if you look, there are at least a few senior men who post and NO really senior women. Where as you will find Henry Ellis, a Chuck Clark, a Toby Threadgill or Howard Popkin posting here, you will nowhere find a Mary Heiny, Linda Holiday, Pat Hendricks, Kayla Feder, etc. That's all I meant.

It's not meant to be patronizing and in no way means that I think it's nice that some "little woman" can keep up with the guys. Quite the opposite. I appreciate that a woman is willing to put up with the often "low tone" of the discussions and not only not leave but dish it out when she feels like it. The fact that most women have no time for the kinds of shenanigans that go on in the forums is our loss, not their gain, as far as I am concerned. This stuff can be such a boys club a lot of the time. It's only recently that we have had the number of women posting that we do... it used to be worse. It would be great if some really senior women could be persuaded to post but none of the ones I am friends with want any part of the aggressive back and forth that goes on. I know for a fact that a number of them read these discussions occasionally but they won't post.

So, yes, I am happy when the some of the women don't get put off and will participate in the give and take and not just shake their heads and go away thinking "Boys, boys. boys..."

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 02-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #154
DH
United_States

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post
You'll notice that I said that most of my female friends. many of whom would make wonderful contributions here. won't do so because of the level of vituperation. As far as I am concerned, that's pretty much a fact. One of my friends who runs a dojo looked at the posts the other day and said she couldn't believe that amount of what she called "mud slinging". She has no interest in participating yet she would actually be wonderful to have posting.

How many women do you see here? Not many proportionally. While most of my senior male friends won't post either, for the same basic reasons... they feel it takes too much time to wade through all the BS just to get to the good stuff, if you look, there are at least a few senior men who post and NO really senior women. Where as you will find Henry Ellis, a Chuck Clark, a Toby Threadgill or Howard Popkin posting here, you will nowhere find a Mary Heiny, Linda Holiday, Pat Hendricks, Kayla Feder, etc. That's all I meant.

It's not meant to be patronizing and in no way means that I think it's nice that some "little woman" can keep up with the guys. Quite the opposite. I appreciate that a woman is willing to put up with the often "low tone" of the discussions and not only not leave but dish it out when she feels like it. The fact that most women have no time for the kinds of shenanigans that go on in the forums is our loss, not their gain, as far as I am concerned. This stuff can be such a boys club a lot of the time. It's only recently that we have had the number of women posting that we do... it used to be worse. It would be great if some really senior women could be persuaded to post but none of the ones I am friends with want any part of the aggressive back and forth that goes on. I know for a fact that a number of them read these discussions occasionally but they won't post.

So, yes, I am happy when the some of the women don't get put off and will participate in the give and take and not just shake their heads and go away thinking "Boys, boys. boys..."
And there ya go....Although you will find a fair number of men who will not post either.

Last edited by DH : 02-14-2011 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #155
Janet Rosen

It's not a matter of toughness, at least not as I define it; it's being practical:
I say my piece to the best of my ability to articulate it and don't see any point in repeating it over and over just to read my own words while deluding myself that the sheer repetition is actually going to change anybody else's mind.
OTOH I don't stay silent in the face of what I find to be absolute BS or a descent into verbal abuse and will continue to write words ask ing for civility to be maintained, just as I did with my voice and body when doing street patrols as a younger woman.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #156
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
All well and good but it does not make him right.

dps
Let's bottom line this discussion....

4th kyu in two systems = novice

REALLY good 4th kyu = really good novice

Genius 4th kyu = really smart novice

Mr. Hamaki may very well be a genius, but he is a novice at martial arts. No offense intended, just fact.

Howard
Old 02-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #157
Keith Larman
Dojo: AIA, Los Angeles, CA
United_States

Quote:
If so what does that say about the integrity of those who go to Dan and Akuzawa or support what they are doing but not wanting anyone to go to or support what Tenyu is doing?

dps
All right, David, since you seem to not want to let this go, I'll give it a stab.

First off, I can't speak too authoritatively on Aunkai -- I've never been to a seminar. I can, however, comment on their videos as I actually spent the cash to take a look after spending some time with some people who had gone to a number of seminars. So my understanding is quite incomplete wrt to Aunkai. So grain of salt and all that.

I have attended seminars by Dan H (as well as Mike S although Mike doesn't appear to cause you any angst).

WRT to Ark and Dan, neither is teaching "martial arts" in those seminars. They're certainly not teaching "Daito Ryu". Nor are they teaching a weird approximation of daito ryu. Best I can tell they're teaching about their understanding of Aiki. As well as exercises/routines/etc on how to build those skills as well as the physical body in order to do those things. I learned no techniques in the sense of something like "katatedori nikyo". I learned no strategy. I learned no martial philosophy.

Daito ryu, Aikido, and most arts of any substance are, IMHO, based on some of the things Dan, Ark, and others are teaching. And without those things I think Aikido and Daito Ryu lose some of their power. However, they are not *the* art. The art is vastly larger, a vast curriculum of techniques, philosophies, and approaches.

To contrast, if we assume that Toby Threadgill's art contains aiki as well then Dan and Ark are teaching things that are part of the base of his beloved TSYR. But you wouldn't say Dan is teaching TSYR. Neither are they teaching Daito Ryu. They are also *not* teaching Aikido, not by any stretch.

I wish I remember where I read it, but Ellis Amdur wrote something I thought was quite profound. He compared Aiki with a fine brandy. Without a vessel to carry it all you have is all over the floor. That's one reason I am somewhat skeptical of those who abandon everything in favor of "pure" aiki skills. That's cool, I suppose, if that's what you want. But for me I see it as part of the toolkit/foundation that I use to build/inform my movement and express my art. But it, itself, is not the art. Far from it.

It is about building a "budo body". I like that quote (from Dan for a proper attribution).

Let me contrast that to seminars I've been lucky enough to attend by someone like Toby Threadgill. Toby will compare empty hand movements to those done with tanto and with the ken. He'll show some exercises with some degree of explanation. He will tie all that together. There you *will* learn technique, philosophy and even some notions of the strategic approach of the art he now heads. That said, however, in those seminars where the general public is allowed to attend he is only teaching the stuff allowed to be taught to the outside world. In other words, while you *will* walk away with all sorts of valuable insights, tools, and new things to work on, you are still absolutely *not* learning the art he heads. You are learning only a small subset of what the general public is allowed to see. So you're still falling far short of the real deal.

Now to the OP. He's putting out a complete system quite openly taken from someone else. Who learned it with the understanding that he not teach. He either lied when he made the promise or he broke his promise. Sure, he may prove himself over time as an amazing technician. Or it may turn out he's just yet another kyu-ranked self-appointed shihan who's ego outstrips his abilities. Regardless, he violated a trust to not teach the art. And it appears he's doing so, taken in its entirety including techniques, strategies, philosophies, etc.

If he was teaching how to improve posture while holding the jo and deliver powerful strikes with the jo without teaching techniques and a full art *and* he said he's simply teaching body skills, I doubt anyone would have raised even the slightest of peeps.

But enough of this. I think Mary hit the proverbial nail. I wasn't going to post on this because it struck me as so obviously wrong and misleading.

I need a break from forums. I really need a break.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #158
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
Here's the aerial tracking image of the Tengu Short Form's implicit line which appeared in my mind out of nowhere as I was falling asleep one night. I had never seen it before, but I got out of bed, went outside, and the form came out perfectly on its own.
Learning you are, young padawan.

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote:
All well and good but it does not make him right.
No it doesn't. But I believe he is honest, which is a lot considering what there is around, and is honesty is what makes him inspirational for those who know him.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:58 AM   #159
dps

Quote:
Howard Popkin wrote: View Post
Let's bottom line this discussion....

4th kyu in two systems = novice

REALLY good 4th kyu = really good novice

Genius 4th kyu = really smart novice

Mr. Hamaki may very well be a genius, but he is a novice at martial arts. No offense intended, just fact.

Howard
Sensei Read did not think he was a novice. His black belt and instructor license was taken away because of behavior not his understanding of Aikbojitsu.

Fact;

from,

http://www.aikibojitsu.com/TenyuHamakiBiography.html

"Tenyu Hamaki sensei holds the rank of 1st Dan in Aikibojitsu and teaches Aikibojitsu at Northcoast
Aikido in Northern California. He holds the Aikibojitsu Instructor License."

dps

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:07 AM   #160
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
George S. Ledyard wrote: View Post

Hi George,

I know you didn't mean it to, and I did add that in my p.s. I was being slightly tongue in cheek when I said it but I don't think I conveyed that tone in the text, apologies.

Aikiweb is a pretty small place with a few familiar faces, many of the people that used to post when I joined over 5 years ago, don't still frequent the forums. I left it alone myself for a few years. People come and go, that's the nature of the beast.

It is a shame that more senior women are not represented here, interestingly enough, they don't get mentioned very much when all the IP/IS/aiki wonga waving is going on, why? do they not feature in the equation?

I practice with some superb teachers some of whom happen to be women. I see no difference in the aikido I know, as it has no gender bias.

The forums have a bit of bar room feel about them, some people are not keen on the atmosphere, that's fine, their lives are in no way diminished by not being here. You are right though, it is our loss that a) there aren't more women posting here and b) the tone can descend too far.

Personally I don't like any all male environments, they usually make me feel embarassed to be of the gender. I much prefer the balance that women bring. (mind you all female environments, can be problematic, so some of my female friends tell me )

Maybe if everyone behaves themselves, we would attract more of the fairer sex to the discussions?

boys will be boys, true, which is a pain in the bum as they scare away the women, children and old folk in other words, the interesting folk.

regards

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #161
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Hi George,

I know you didn't mean it to, and I did add that in my p.s. I was being slightly tongue in cheek when I said it but I don't think I conveyed that tone in the text, apologies.

Aikiweb is a pretty small place with a few familiar faces, many of the people that used to post when I joined over 5 years ago, don't still frequent the forums. I left it alone myself for a few years. People come and go, that's the nature of the beast.

It is a shame that more senior women are not represented here, interestingly enough, they don't get mentioned very much when all the IP/IS/aiki wonga waving is going on, why? do they not feature in the equation?

I practice with some superb teachers some of whom happen to be women. I see no difference in the aikido I know, as it has no gender bias.

The forums have a bit of bar room feel about them, some people are not keen on the atmosphere, that's fine, their lives are in no way diminished by not being here. You are right though, it is our loss that a) there aren't more women posting here and b) the tone can descend too far.

Personally I don't like any all male environments, they usually make me feel embarassed to be of the gender. I much prefer the balance that women bring. (mind you all female environments, can be problematic, so some of my female friends tell me )

Maybe if everyone behaves themselves, we would attract more of the fairer sex to the discussions?

boys will be boys, true, which is a pain in the bum as they scare away the women, children and old folk in other words, the interesting folk.

regards

Mark
My entire history in Aikido has been tied up with powerful women. When I started with Saotome Sensei in 1976, three out of the five yudansha who moved there to help him open that dojo were women and they were my first teachers and practice partners. That firs year Linda Holiday Sensei came to train with us, then Patty Saotome moved up from Florida. Most of these women are 6th dans now and several run their own schools and have for decades.

When I came to Seattle, Sensei told me to train with Mary Heiny Sensei. The majority of her seniors were women and they are all 6th Dans now and have their own schools. Pam Cooper, Joanne Veneziano, and Kimberly Richardson all have dojos in the Seattle area and all trained at that dojo under Mary when I was there.

So, Aikido in my experience has not been a "boys club" and I did not at all intend to sound patronizing in my post. It wasn't meant that way.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 02-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #162
dps

Quote:
Demetrio Cereijo wrote: View Post

No it doesn't. But I believe he is honest, which is a lot considering what there is around, and is honesty is what makes him inspirational for those who know him.
Couldn't agree more.

His being a nice guy and his honesty are not substitutes for facts in an argument.
dps

Last edited by dps : 02-14-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:22 AM   #163
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Sensei Read did not think he was a novice. His black belt and instructor license was taken away because of behavior not his understanding of Aikbojitsu.

Fact;

from,

http://www.aikibojitsu.com/TenyuHamakiBiography.html

"Tenyu Hamaki sensei holds the rank of 1st Dan in Aikibojitsu and teaches Aikibojitsu at Northcoast
Aikido in Northern California. He holds the Aikibojitsu Instructor License."

dps
David:

I consider people under Shodan as learning the Alphabet. A person with a Shodan now knows the alphabet and is beginning to work on basic sentence structure. The higher up in Dan rank you go, the more sophisticated your "writing abilities become."
Now this person ONLY has an understanding of the basics (Kihon Waza). He was allowed to teach the basics, which was what he knew. If he knew the the entire system, his rank would reflect that.

Demetrio:

This person was not honest and did not maintain the integrity of his word (written or otherwise). This person is Japanese (born in Japan- according to him) which means that he must have some understanding of the dishonor he brought to his family, particularly his brother, who recommended him. This person did not own the license (just like any other professional license). It is something issued by the person/governing body and can be revoked at any time (for cause of course). If you find this young man as an example that has aspired you, then go with it. I seem to get the impression that you are among a select few headed in that direction.

Tenyu's latest posts simply seem like attention seeking to me. Just my opinions.

Marc Abrams
Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 AM   #164
dps

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
David:
If he knew the the entire system, his rank would reflect that.
He can buy the whole kit and kaboodle right here;

http://www.aikibojitsu.com/Store.html

The Aikibojitsu Store

Selected Videos
Until recently it has been possible to purchase DVDs individually. However we are currently only offering individual videos in
two-disc sets. These two-disc sets may be ordered below. A single disc is priced at $32.00, so each 2-disc set is $64.00.
$32.00 X 2 = $64.00
$32.00 X 2 = $64.00
$32.00 X 2 = $64.00
Store Plans - Coming Soon!!!

We are currently upgrading our website and especially the Store. We will soon be offering an Intermediate and Advanced line of
Aikibojitsu Instructional Videos, including the long awaited Master Short Form List Volumes.

We also plan to offer a number of items related to Aikido and Aikibojitsu. Among these will be

- Aikibojitsu uniforms
- Traditional white Keiko Gi (keiko gi - training uniform), colored and black belts
- Black Hakama to be worn at formal Aikibojitsu events
- T-Shirts with silkscreen Aikibojitsu Logo
- Sweatshirts with silkscreen Aikibojitsu Logo
- Sweatshirts with embroidered Aikibojitsu Logo
- Aikibojitsu staffs
- Ceramic Tiles with Kanji
- Masakatsu
- Agatsu

Quote:

This person was not honest and did not maintain the integrity of his word (written or otherwise).
I agree.

Quote:
This person is Japanese (born in Japan- according to him) which means that he must have some understanding of the dishonor he brought to his family, particularly his brother, who recommended him. This person did not own the license (just like any other professional license). It is something issued by the person/governing body and can be revoked at any time (for cause of course).
Isn't this how O'Sensei started.

Did Takeda give O'Sensei the thumbs up on starting a martial art that was very much like his own.

Unless you feel that O'Sensei stole it fair and square and Tenyu didn't.

Quote:
If you find this young man as an example that has aspired you, then go with it. I seem to get the impression that you are among a select few headed in that direction.
I don't.
Wrong assumption.

Quote:
Tenyu's latest posts simply seem like attention seeking to me. Just my opinions.

Marc Abrams
Like anyone else who posts on forums including yourself.

I am not defending Tenyu's honesty or integrity nor am I questioning O'Sensei's honesty and integrity.

I'm just pointing out that what Tenyu did is remarkably similar to what the O'Sensei did and how one feels about Tenyu should reflect how one feels about everybody who does the same thing including O'Senei.

dps

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #165
lbb
United_States

Wow, look what happens if you decide to take a long lunch.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:58 AM   #166
DH
United_States

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
All right, David, since you seem to not want to let this go, I'll give it a stab.
I have attended seminars by Dan H (as well as Mike S although Mike doesn't appear to cause you any angst).

WRT to Ark and Dan, neither is teaching "martial arts" in those seminars. They're certainly not teaching "Daito Ryu". Nor are they teaching a weird approximation of daito ryu. Best I can tell they're teaching about their understanding of Aiki. As well as exercises/routines/etc on how to build those skills as well as the physical body in order to do those things. I learned no techniques in the sense of something like "katatedori nikyo". I learned no strategy. I learned no martial philosophy.

Daito ryu, Aikido, and most arts of any substance are, IMHO, based on some of the things Dan, Ark, and others are teaching. And without those things I think Aikido and Daito Ryu lose some of their power. However, they are not *the* art. The art is vastly larger, a vast curriculum of techniques, philosophies, and approaches.

To contrast, if we assume that Toby Threadgill's art contains aiki as well then Dan and Ark are teaching things that are part of the base of his beloved TSYR. But you wouldn't say Dan is teaching TSYR. Neither are they teaching Daito Ryu. They are also *not* teaching Aikido, not by any stretch.

I wish I remember where I read it, but Ellis Amdur wrote something I thought was quite profound. He compared Aiki with a fine brandy. Without a vessel to carry it all you have is all over the floor. That's one reason I am somewhat skeptical of those who abandon everything in favor of "pure" aiki skills. That's cool, I suppose, if that's what you want. But for me I see it as part of the toolkit/foundation that I use to build/inform my movement and express my art. But it, itself, is not the art. Far from it.

It is about building a "budo body". I like that quote (from Dan for a proper attribution).
Perfect Keith
There is a whole lot of presumption in statements about me that do not prove out in reality. There is much I can indeed do or teach as more than a few now know. I stay away from that in these get togethers. I recently decided l am also no longer going to do light sparring in seminars either. It is not part of my goal nor part of what I have been asked to do.
I was recently asked by a 6th dan at a seminar to define certain things I was doing in Aikido. I stopped him on the spot stating. "I am in the presence of a 5th dan and a 6th dan and you want my opinion? No thanks...above my pay grade. That's your job"

Of course he went on to try to discuss the use of the body method I was teaching and it's fluid consistency from Koryu to Daito ryu to MMA and modern weapons I stopped him again only now saying. "Now you're above your pay grade."
Oddly enough I keep having students and teachers from many different arts telling me where this training fits into their arts. I have the same answer. "Thats your job...not mine."

Anything else is hubris and disrespectful to the teachers, I am there to teach a certain skill set...not to challenge them on the vast array of other skills and knowledge they have. As a couple of teachers have recently pointed out when they stepped outside to learn from a certain IP coach only to find out they were being slammed behind their backs, I have too much respect for all the other things they know and for what they are trying to do and for stepping outside of their fighting ability to put their asses on the line to learn something new.

My goals are not to "take away from them" or cause harm, but to add to their game. So far the respect.... can indeed work both ways.
Anyway... thanks for laying that out
See ya soon
Dan

Last edited by DH : 02-14-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:01 PM   #167
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Hi Marc,

It was Ledyard Sensei the one who I was talking about. Let me rephrase my post for further clarification:

No it (what Howie said about Ledyard Sensei) doesn't (make Ledyard Sensei right). But I believe he (Ledyard Sensei) is honest, which is a lot considering what there is around, and is honesty is what makes him (Ledyard Sensei) inspirational for those who know him.

Better now?

On Tenyu's honesty, integrity and japanesessness... my issue in this thread is people trying to juzgue his behaviour using two contradictory and non compatible standards at the same time: (a) modern western ethics & (b) (pseudo) feudal era bushi ethics.

As attempting to explain the difference between modern western and real feudal japanese bushi ethics, and how Tenyu's behaviour could have been considered appropiate and correct in other times and places, would be boring and probably fruitless here (especially considering my poor English skills) I'll let the issue go.

Quote:
Demetrio:

This person was not honest and did not maintain the integrity of his word (written or otherwise). This person is Japanese (born in Japan- according to him) which means that he must have some understanding of the dishonor he brought to his family, particularly his brother, who recommended him. This person did not own the license (just like any other professional license). It is something issued by the person/governing body and can be revoked at any time (for cause of course). If you find this young man as an example that has aspired you, then go with it. I seem to get the impression that you are among a select few headed in that direction.

Marc Abrams
Maybe you'd like to reconsider your post. I think you've jumped into a pool without checking if there was water in it.

Regards.

PS. I hunt Tenyus for fun. Ask Howie

Last edited by Demetrio Cereijo : 02-14-2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: PS
Old 02-14-2011, 12:07 PM   #168
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Keith Larman wrote: View Post
I wish I remember where I read it, but Ellis Amdur wrote something I thought was quite profound. He compared Aiki with a fine brandy. Without a vessel to carry it all you have is all over the floor.
Hidden in Plain Sight, but I don't have a copy with me to check on whether it is in the Introduction or one of the later chapters. Ellis later wrote more cogently:

"In HIPS, I referred to the waza as the bottle and the IT as the brandy - without a bottle, where is the liquid? On the floor."

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=51
Old 02-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #169
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
Hi all,

After over a year of independent study by myself I've decided to share the development of a new style of Aikido which I'm calling Aikibodo. Although I discovered and created most of the forms I currently practice, I have had many great teachers in my short life that have influenced and enabled me to be in such a position.

I trained in Seido Juku Karate under Kaicho Tadashi Nakamura at honbu dojo in NYC for three years. His school has positively changed the lives of tens of thousands of people all over the world, and I'm quite fortunate my brother Tenchi persistently advised me to join for years until I actually got the guts to do it. I was able to train with some of the most compassionate and physically talented people I've ever met. The collective intensity of training was unbelievably phenomenal. Aikibodo could not exist without Seido and the strength of spirit it instills.

Afterwards I trained in Aikido for two and a half years at Tom Read Sensei's dojo in Arcata CA under a handful of dedicated, inspiring teachers. The giant Carl Tissol allowed me to attack and practice takemusu ukemi at a level rivaling my karate experience, a rare privilege. The grounded wisdom of Peggy Ilene created a peaceful yet powerful presence I admire. Read Sensei taught me the theoretical principles of Aiki and foundational forms of Aikibojitsu which in combination with the staffwork of Morihei Ueshiba ultimately guided the base forms of Aikibodo. Read Sensei recently published a technical book which I highly recommend for any serious Aikidoist. I made a few private interpersonal mistakes and a couple public ones here on Aikiweb which I take full responsibility for, but mixed with unrelated political issues of a board managed dojo and confluence of events, I had no choice but to become independent in order to continue and progress with my training. I wish the Northcoast Aikido Dojo continued success, as they help other students in learning Aikido and Aikibojitsu.

The other main influence has been my research, experience, and appreciation of traditional independent post-war gospel. I've created the largest digital archive of previously unknown and unrecognized quartets from the 60's through early 80's on the internet, all available for free: http://www.hollygroverecords.com/index.php?act=gospel I've been deeply humbled by the buddha-like nature of these veteran ‘shihans of harmony' who, despite being ignored by academic institutions while untold number pass away each year, I consider national treasures.

For those concerned with rank, I'm officially a 4th kyu in Karate and Aikido. I just started my first weekly public Aikibodo class yesterday. Ideally I'd wait till I've developed a few students locally for a couple years before attempting to share elsewhere. But due to imminent consequences of global fossil fuel depletion, such luxury of time may not exist. For those unaware of our present predicament, a general overview is available here: http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/ I've studied peak oil theory and history in depth for six years and have no desire to discuss in length on this matter here. Aikido is a study of how we use personal energy to interact with the universe, whereas Peak Oil is a study of society's insanely unsustainable and irreplaceable dependence on terminally declining cheap energy sources. I'm happy to provide more resources of information via forum or private message, please ask if interested.

Here is a link to video of the Umi Kata recorded last August: http://www.youtube.com/user/WayOftheStaff (There is some external compensation for the deep sand and roaring ocean.) The kata contains more complex forms intended for the advanced practitioner but the most important basic forms are accessible to anybody regardless of physical ability or age. I'm now making myself available to share this beautiful practice with anyone dedicated and sincerely interested. Please refer and address me by my first name, no formal titles please!

respectfully,
Tenyu Hamaki
I'm just going by what the man said about himself....

Either way, if he has something to share, then enjoy !!!!!!

As always, go see for yourself.

Howard
Old 02-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #170
dps

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
There is a presumption in Bourke and Scaggs statements that do not prove out in reality
Hello Mr. Hardy,

The story goes that a group of my ancestors crossed over the Ohio River (probably swam) from Kentucky to Cincinnati, Ohio to git jobs in the shoe factories. Upon applying for the jobs they were told that anyone with a "k" in their names could not git a job. So they changed their name from Skaggs to Scaggs.

I did not realize there was three boys, Frank, Joe and Dan, in the Hardy Boys.

David

Even the spell checker wants to change my name, to Scags.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:13 PM   #171
DH
United_States

Quote:
Thomas Campbell wrote: View Post
Hidden in Plain Sight, but I don't have a copy with me to check on whether it is in the Introduction or one of the later chapters. Ellis later wrote more cogently:

"In HIPS, I referred to the waza as the bottle and the IT as the brandy - without a bottle, where is the liquid? On the floor."

http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=51
Just as external physical conditioning does so much more for you than mere fighting,
So does IP/aiki offer so much more than having power to fight with.

Cheers
Dan

Old 02-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #172
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Thomas Campbell wrote: View Post
Hidden in Plain Sight, but I don't have a copy with me to check on whether it is in the Introduction or one of the later chapters.
pp 228-229
Old 02-14-2011, 12:15 PM   #173
dps

Quote:
Howard Popkin wrote: View Post
I'm just going by what the man said about himself....

Either way, if he has something to share, then enjoy !!!!!!

As always, go see for yourself.

Howard
I'm just going by what his sensei said about him.

He seems to think that he has something to share.

No thank you.

dps

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #174
Thomas Campbell

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Just as external physical conditioning does so much more for you than mere fighting,
So does IP/aiki offer so much more than having power to fight with.

Cheers
Dan

Makes me wonder what Lady Gaga could do with IP/aiki training . . .
Old 02-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #175
kewms

Quote:
So you wouldn't have a problem with a lawyer who continued to practice after being disbarred for misuse of client funds?

After all, his license was taken away for behavior, not because of his understanding of the law.

There's more to being an instructor than technical skill.

Katherine