Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-09-2012, 12:47 PM   #1
Allen Beebe
United_States
Allen Beebe in the Netherlands - The Nether say Nether Tour

Allen Beebe sensei will be teaching a seminar during the last weekend of July in Zwolle (the Netherlands). We would like to invite you to attend these training sessions.

Allen was a student of the late Shirata Rinjiro, one of the famous names of early aikido. In these sessions Allen will be covering the core basis of Shirata sensei's teachings—the building blocks which make the techniques of Aikido possible. These teachings are called Tan Doka Dosa, a series of thirteen solo exercises containing almost all of the movements necessary for aikido and organized so that, when performed regularly, one can train the core body elements necessary to produce aiki.

"I believe that for Shirata sensei his Tan Doku Dosa and Ken Kata are of inestimable importance to the understanding and unlocking of Aikido, they are his effort to "unpack" Aikido as taught to him [by Ueshiba sensei] and I cannot imagine understanding Aikido without this treasure." Allen Beebe
(http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...0&postcount=32)

For the past two years Allen has been training on a regular basis with Dan Harden who has presented renewed insight on the topics of internal power and aiki. It is Dan's wish to reinvigorate the training of internal power and aiki within the Aikido community. People who have attended Dan's seminars applaud his pedagogical approach and his willingness to share the necessary elements for internal power and aiki training.

"I think Allen's point was that the tandokudosa will reveal nothing and do little without the keys to understand them. Then, magically, they make an incredible amount of sense. Otherwise, as is the case with many things seen in budo, we see good men wasting a whole lot of time doing so much that yielded so little…
This is a compelling body of work by someone I have always admired. It was sheer luck that Allen and I even met and formed a friendship. We had to get to know and trust each other for a dialogue to ensue. I understood Allen's hesitation to show them to me and I hesitated to show what was in them and what they were for... Out of respect for Shirata, we don't want to see his work turned into yet more crap in the hands of far too casual budo people," Dan Harden
(http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...2&postcount=43)

Dan and Allen have examined the Tan Doka Dosa together and Allen will be presenting Shirata's Tan Doka Dosa in light of Shirata sensei's transmission of Ueshiba osensei's Aikido and Dan Harden's aiki training paradigm.

"During the era in which he [Ueshiba] actively taught, he produced some remarkable men; Inue, Shirata, Mochizuki, Tomiki, Shioda, Hisa etc. These men were pretty substantial in their day." Dan Harden
(http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=46)

"Shirata had connection and it was on display in free movement with weapons." Dan Harden
(http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=17)

"Shirata....comes up with a series of power building exercises that include breath power, the use of kua and mingmen (as was the case in many JMA, not using those terms, but the mechanics), and some other interesting things more akin to DR than modern aikido!" Dan Harden
(http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...1&postcount=27)

This seminar with Allen will be generally informal and interactive. There will be ample opportunity for question and answers throughout. For this reason we would ask that you wear normal exercise clothing or other loose comfortable attire.

"Another group pursuing this are Shirata's guys in Oregon and the Netherlands. As I stated here, Shirata was one of the greats under Ueshiba, and lo and behold, he had solo exercises that actually had value and work" Dan Harden
(http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=188)

The training takes on Saturday 28 July (09:30-12:00h and 14:00- 16:30h) and Sunday 29 july (09:30-12:00h and 14:00- 16:30h).

Our dojo:
Basisschool De Klokbeker
IJsselcentraleweg 65,
8014 BK Zwolle
Netherlands

The seminar fee is € 50,-/ day (€ 100,- / weekend). You can transfer the fee to Gironummer 7370080 t.n.v. Stichting Aikido Zwolle.
Or you can transfer the fee using paypal. Please send it to walter@walteroudewesselink.com

Registration is desirable as the seminar is limited to ensure the interaction between Allen and the attendees.

For more information you can e-mail to walter@walteroudewesselink.com
Or call (0031) 6 20 396 019

Both Allen Beebe and Seikokan look forward to a very informative and enjoyable weekend. We hope you will join us in Zwolle.

~ Allen Beebe
Old 05-10-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
Walker

Dojo: 鷹松道場|Takamatsu Dojo ATL
United_States
Re: Allen Beebe in the Netherlands - The Nether say Nether Tour

Seeking aiki in the "nether" regions? In the secret parts of fortune?

-Doug Walker
新道楊心流の鷹松道場
Old 05-10-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Doug Walker wrote: View Post
Seeking aiki in the "nether" regions? In the secret parts of fortune?
HAAAAAHH OH GOD! i laughed until i cried. the secret is in lots of solo practice!

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

Just want to mention... in case recommendations from folks like Dan Harden aren't enough for you... I had the opportunity to visit Allen on his home turf and he blew my socks off several times over. I'm now trying to figure out how to get back to godforsakenportland. Boston to Dallas? Portland's on the way, right?

Highly recommended.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #5
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
Hugh Beyer wrote: View Post
Just want to mention... in case recommendations from folks like Dan Harden aren't enough for you... I had the opportunity to visit Allen on his home turf and he blew my socks off several times over. I'm now trying to figure out how to get back to godforsakenportland. Boston to Dallas? Portland's on the way, right?

Highly recommended.
Hi Hugh,

Thanks for the kind words. I was impressed by your learning ability and rate. Now there is an ability that pays handsome dividends! But you can't fool me . . . you weren't wearing any socks!!!

We all look forward to your return. I hope it is soon!

Kind regards,
Allen

p.s. Some folks believe that the "forsaken" are at the top of G-d's "to do" list, which recomends Portland highly! Spring, summer and fall are lovely here (when it isn't raining.)

~ Allen Beebe
Old 05-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
hughrbeyer
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Boston
United_States

Note to self: Pack socks.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #7
woudew
Dojo: Seikokan
Netherlands

In 5 weeks Allen comes to the Netherlands to teach Shirata Sensei’s exercises which were designed to generate, and integrate, IP / Aiki within the waza commonly (and not so commonly) associated with aikido.

Room remains for those wishing to begin learning these essential, and universally applicable, teachings of Shirata Rinjiro (10th Dan Shihan).

I have made also a Facebook-page with more information:

https://www.facebook.com/events/228033750581769/
Old 07-02-2012, 02:44 PM   #8
Howard Popkin
Dojo: www.pbjjc.com
United_States

Guys,
Allen is great. Tons of knowledge. You would be making a mistake by not going.

Have a great seminar!
Howard

Old 07-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #9
Rob Watson
United_States

Since this is not aikido I'm not going ... I do have socks.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
DH
United_States

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
Since this is not aikido I'm not going ... I do have socks.
SHIRATA'S TEACHINGS ARE NOT AIKIDO??????????????????
I mean, I know Ueshiba Kisshomaru banned them, but I'd take Shirata over anything the Ueshiba family produced after Osensei.
Dan
Old 07-02-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
Howard Popkin wrote: View Post
Guys,
Allen is great. Tons of knowledge. You would be making a mistake by not going.

Have a great seminar!
Howard
Thanks Howard! So you'll be there then? Or am I mistaken??

Allen

~ Allen Beebe
Old 07-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #12
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
I mean, I know Ueshiba Kisshomaru banned them, but I'd take Shirata over anything the Ueshiba family produced after Osensei.
Dan
LOL! Well there is a post in both the "Non-Aikido" section as well as the "Aikido" section . . . and I find that entirely fitting. After all, O-Sensei gave Shirata proof of his learning a "Non-Aikido" martial art when he awarded him Daito Ryu Menkyo. Shirata sensei later recieved Aikido rank after he was asked by O-sensei to look after his son, which Shirata sensei did faithfully until Shirata sensei's passing, according to Ueshiba Kisshomaru. So it is clear that both Ueshiba's recognized Shirata sensei as both a Non-Aikido and Aikido sensei.

But I think Nidai Doshu explains all of this the best:

"Shirata Shihan was one of the best of the founder's Uchideshi, and will be difficult to replace. He was faithful to the founder and me, personally, rather than to the Aikikai. I would like to make it clear that the Aikikai is an organization to spread a fine Way, yet Shirata Shihan devoted himself not to the organization, but to the Way. He was devoted to the founder and to the Way that the founder had established. Because of this he did much for me and for Aikido."

"Shirata maintained a belief which is no longer commonly held by people these days. He believed that aikido was the Way that the founder had given to us. Shirata was different from the present younger members and post-war Shihan. I think it has been very valuable for modern young men to have been directed and encouraged by such a rare person. Shirata devoted himself to aikido until the day of his death. He was a fine person who has been and will always be a good example for aikido students,

~ Doshu Kisshomaru Ueshiba

~ Allen Beebe
Old 07-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #13
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Allen Beebe wrote: View Post
LOL! Well there is a post in both the "Non-Aikido" section as well as the "Aikido" section . . .
Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Dan
Sometimes (like always) my attempts at humor resemble that dry bit of dander often found flaking off mummies. Wry ,dry and way tangential is how I roll.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Old 07-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
Allen Beebe
United_States

(Warning: F-Bomb alert! View at you own peril.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP8_t...e_gdata_player

~ Allen Beebe
Old 07-03-2012, 07:02 AM   #15
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
Sometimes (like always) my attempts at humor resemble that dry bit of dander often found flaking off mummies. Wry ,dry and way tangential is how I roll.
don't you just hate it when folks cannot feel your humor ki extending out over the internet?

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org
Old 07-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #16
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
don't you just hate it when folks cannot feel your humor ki extending out over the internet?
That socks!

~ Allen Beebe
Old 07-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #17
woudew
Netherlands

In contrast to common belief we do have socks in the Netherlands.

(i just called my wife to make sure)
Old 07-03-2012, 08:45 AM   #18
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
Walter Oude Wesselink wrote: View Post
In contrast to common belief we do have socks in the Netherlands.

(i just called my wife to make sure)
What kind of socks go with wooden shoes?

~ Allen Beebe
Old 07-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #19
woudew
Netherlands

Quote:
What kind of socks go with wooden shoes?
The abrasive kind,
to make sure that the inside of our wooden shoes stays nice and smooth.

PS
Strange we are having this conversation over the internet since you're sitting 1 meter away from me
Old 07-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #20
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
(Warning: F-Bomb alert! View at you own peril.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP8_t...e_gdata_player

Never come between a man and his fish ... no matter how abrasive the socks one has.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #21
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Phi Truong wrote: View Post
Sorry to dissappoint but I've moved beyond simple human feelings. Pan dimensional hyper intelligent beings (like mice) totally get my humor and are still laughing at my 'not going' joke. Mice do not wear socks ... not on their feet anyway.

900 years ago my bloodlines (Olave the Black they called him) left the Netherlands on great ships to rape, pillage and plunder. It is my genetic obligation only to return in the same manner as my ancestors left. Until then keep a steady watch for my coming (just not to some non-aikido thingy with wooden shoes or angry guys yelling at fish).

Old 07-09-2012, 05:25 PM   #22
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Hey Allen,

thanks for your very kind hospitality on my all too short a visit to Portland. I really like what you guys are doing.

Have a great trip to the Netherlands.

If anyone out there in Holland is reading this and wondering about going. Stop wondering and just go!

regards

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #23
Allen Beebe
United_States

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Hey Allen,

thanks for your very kind hospitality on my all too short a visit to Portland. I really like what you guys are doing.

If anyone out there in Holland is reading this and wondering about going. Stop wondering and just go!

regards

Mark
Hi Mark,

Thank you for stopping by. It was a pleasure meeting you and sharing some training time. Hopefully you'll be able to stop by again on your way back.

Kind regards,
Allen

~ Allen Beebe
Old 07-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #24
woudew
Netherlands

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Hey Allen,

regards

Mark
Hi Mark,

good to hear you had a great time in Portland, althought that ain't too hard with the great people living there

Too bad we missed each other by (not even) a day.
If you are in the Netherlands don't hesitate to give me call.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #25
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Walter Oude Wesselink wrote: View Post
Hi Mark,

good to hear you had a great time in Portland, althought that ain't too hard with the great people living there

Too bad we missed each other by (not even) a day.
If you are in the Netherlands don't hesitate to give me call.
Hi Walter,

yes, shame we just missed. If I am in the Netherlands I will definitely give you a call. We can have a beer and talk about what we really think about those crazy Americans

cheers,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.