Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-08-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
MM
United_States
Koretoshi Maruyama book Aikido with Ki

Finished reading Koretoshi Maruyama's book, Aikido with Ki.

http://www.amazon.com/Aikido-Ki-Kore...0909394&sr=8-2

Here I thought John Stevens book, The Secrets of Aikido, was bad. This one is competing for that title.

Again, all my thoughts are towards aiki...do. Take them with a grain of salt if you're doing aikidoTM.

The bad: You'll get a lot more detailed information on AikiWeb about the "ki" in "aiki". Not much (some) of any kind of historical information either. Goes over Tohei's four principles, but a lot is left out and you won't get anywhere near as good as Tohei by reading this book. Save your money.

The good: Hey, it has detailed descriptions of what to physically do for some techniques. If you are new and want something to help you remember where your foot goes and what your hands are doing, yeah, this will get you by.

Overall, I'd skip this book. Worthless to anyone wanting to find deeper meaning to aiki in aiki...do.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States
Re: Koretoshi Maruyama book Aikido with Ki

Koretoshi was the Ki Society's first chief instructor and his book it just a reflection of Tohei's principles and methods of instruction. The book is not as comprehensive as Tohei's 'This Is Aikido', but it is simply an introduction to the basic techniques of the Ki Society and it was never intended to be in depth answer to what is aiki - it just follows Tohei's simple esoteric view and explanation of Ki. However, the book has some value as a collector's item.

Greg Steckel
Old 09-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
MM
United_States

Quote:
Greg Steckel wrote: View Post
Koretoshi was the Ki Society's first chief instructor and his book it just a reflection of Tohei's principles and methods of instruction. The book is not as comprehensive as Tohei's 'This Is Aikido', but it is simply an introduction to the basic techniques of the Ki Society and it was never intended to be in depth answer to what is aiki - it just follows Tohei's simple esoteric view and explanation of Ki. However, the book has some value as a collector's item.

Greg Steckel
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply. I probably should state somewhere that I'm reviewing the books and looking for sections where the authors talk about aiki or structure in relation to aiki...do. That's why I'm placing the reviews here in the non-aikidoTM section. It has nothing to do with whether the book is useful in some other venue. Some of them do have value elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #4
gregstec
Dojo: Aiki Kurabu
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Hi Greg,

Thanks for the reply. I probably should state somewhere that I'm reviewing the books and looking for sections where the authors talk about aiki or structure in relation to aiki...do. That's why I'm placing the reviews here in the non-aikidoTM section. It has nothing to do with whether the book is useful in some other venue. Some of them do have value elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that at all.
Hi Mark,

Understood on your focus of aiki...do - Koretoshi does do aiki..do, but he does not train it; at least not back when I trained with him in the late 70's. His approach then was the standard Tohei method; which will give you a good foundation for mind and body coordination, but as Mike S has stated, he does not take it to the next level.

I have a pretty extensive Aikido library (no where near as large as Clark B's though) and I have not found any of those books to be very explanatory on the aiki stuff; other than the standard esoteric babel prevalent with most of the senior Japanese shihans. However, some of the Chinese books will delve into more of an explanation, but I have not really seen any that will give you a simple road map to this stuff.

If you find that elusive aiki for dummies book, please be sure to share it with the rest of us.

Greg
Old 09-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
Graff

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Thanks for the reply. I probably should state somewhere that I'm reviewing the books and looking for sections where the authors talk about aiki or structure in relation to aiki...do.
You might check out "Ki and the Way of the Martial Arts" by Kenji Tokitsu. He describes using contraction to "integrate general tensions of the body with the breath". It's about as close as I've read to the tidbits of info I read here.

http://www.amazon.com/Way-Martial-Ar...1173686&sr=8-1