Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:46 AM   #1
Nozza74
England
Nikkyo

Nikyo

how powerful this Nikyo is from so little movement of your wrist once applied which i have felt during a randori recently i was very lucky as there was a loud pop cracking sound some short pain as i went to one knee phew nothing broken !!!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: Nikkyo

It is always possible that a very powerfully and quickly applied nikkyo COULD rupture a tendon, which makes a popping sound.
This is why in the dojo, where we want our partners to come back and train with us the next day, it behooves us to apply it slowly until we each know each other's tolerances.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-16-2012, 03:36 AM   #3
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

Graham: good to hear that you didn't get a broken wrist. I think Janets advice is great BTW so if anything suggests you have a ruptured tendron please see a doctor. A few weeks away from practice is far better than a lifetime of injury.

I find that nikyo is the greatest technique for teaching us to feel and adapt to pain. It can be intense and especially for beginners it is very painfull. as you get better your body will react to the little signs of an aproaching nikkyo and will try to absorb the power through posture change and relaxing the muscles. Now if we can only apply this feeling to the rest of the body all the time...

Nikkyo between beginners is like two people yelling at each other - between more experienced aikido ka it can be like a suttle debate where the powerful arguments are just hints to read between the lines. (credit for this mental picture to my former dojo-mate Jens. A great aikido-kan and an even greater teacher)

JJ

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 03-16-2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Janet Rosen

Yes - I add that learning to relax and breath into nikkyo has been an unexpected "off the mat" aikido benefit in that my ability to accept pain and not add tension or anxiety to it has been greatly improved.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 03-17-2012, 02:18 AM   #5
Nozza74
England

Dear Janet/JJ

I thank you very much for your advice which i will definitely take on board, my relaxation and subtle feeling in technique posture etc i know will come with time. I wont let this little hiccup stop my love and enthusiasm for aikido and as the old saying goes if you fall of the horse while learning you get straight back on ( as long as its not causing any injury) .
I look forward to hearing from you both again in the near future be safe and be well .

Dormo arigato gozaimashita

graham .