Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Training

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-23-2003, 05:04 PM   #76
Clayton Drescher

Dojo: Beach Cities Aikido
United_States
Pretty good, tough decision, but I think I'll go with Suginami (ex Skid-Row). They had Kato Sensei this weekend, watched dan tests last night. Lots of good places out here. I posted the pictures my girlfriend took in Midland on the Aikiweb Gallery, under the Member Galleries. They haven't been cleared yet by Jun, but should be any day now. Feel free to use any you think are good enough for your website, they were all taken by Christy Carruth.

Clayton
Old 09-24-2003, 10:34 AM   #77
kensparrow
Dojo: Methuen Aikido
Quote:
Greg Jennings wrote:
Jun, All:

As uke in iriminage, I've always tried to stay very tight, to circle inside/behind nage, to keep my posture.

As part of this, I was taught to wrap my inside arm underneath nage's armpit and grab his uwagi behind his shoulder.

FWIW,
I discovered this by accident a couple of months ago and it has made a huge difference. I find the throw is much less scary if I can maintain that contact with nage. It just seems to help me stay oriented as I go over.

One of the other students showed me that reversal you mentioned too - good motivation to keep good posture!
Old 09-24-2003, 11:33 AM   #78
Janet Rosen

Quote:
Clayton Drescher wrote:
Just an observation report:

I saw a sandan test yesterday and one of the uke's was a phantom I swear.
Curious locals wanna know where! :-)

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-24-2003, 01:48 PM   #79
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
Quote:
Ken Sparrow (kensparrow) wrote:
I discovered this by accident a couple of months ago and it has made a huge difference. I find the throw is much less scary if I can maintain that contact with nage. It just seems to help me stay oriented as I go over.
Roger that. I hate going straight back. Once upon a time, when doing iriminage, while I was looking up at my feet, my nage decided to drop to his knees and pile drive me into the mat. I had enough presence of mind to put my chin on my chest and take it across the shoulders, but I still had a sore back for months.

Since then, I've always remembered to get that inside arm securely connected.
Quote:
Ken Sparrow (kensparrow) wrote:
One of the other students showed me that reversal you mentioned too - good motivation to keep good posture!
Heh, heh, heh.

Another thing you can practice doing is to duck through nage's armpit as he sets up for the throw. You end up directly in shikaku with a nice connection to work with.

It's good practice to learn to keep the knees bent and circle tightly.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 09-25-2003, 02:06 AM   #80
Clayton Drescher

Dojo: Beach Cities Aikido
United_States
Sorry, Kato Sensei is in the Bay Area this week, he'll be down in San Jose somewhere this weekend. Held a seminar at Suginami Dojo last weekend. Dan tests and party were Monday night. I think I told someone at your dojo, Janet, that Kato Sensei was here the weekend before because I had my dates screwy, I apologize for misleading Roy ( I think it was).

Clayton
Old 10-15-2003, 09:30 AM   #81
shugyosha
Hello,

I just wanted to remember Jun to shoot the 'promised' video on ukemi ;-)

greets

Steffen

Steffen Glückselig, shugyoing Yoshinkan Aikido in Würzburg, Germany
:: gungfu.de ::
Old 10-15-2003, 09:33 AM   #82
akiy

Hi Steffen,

I've actually shot and digitized a couple of short video clips, but neither are "ready" yet. The one I just did this week is a bit large at around 8 megabytes (mpeg format) since it shows the fall from different angles; I'm hoping to make it a bit smaller. Since I'm going out of town this weekend, I'll see if I can get something ready by the time I leave...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-21-2003, 10:17 PM   #83
Jeanne Shepard

Dojo: Puget Sound Aikikai
About a month ago, we had two visiting Senseis give a seminar and I think what they taught was the "folding fan" with the extend arms that people are talking about. (Frank Ostoff from Dusseldorf and Jan Nevelius from Stolkholm, both senior students of Endo Sensei) They also taught an interesting backwards "slither" over a crouched partner exercise to ease us into the fall.

I have both of Donavan Waite Sensei's tapes, and I must say, I have NEVER gotten the hang of the front "slither" exercise. I just keep crashing. The back slither exercise is much easier.

Whoa! I'm long winded tonight.

Jeanne
Old 10-21-2003, 11:16 PM   #84
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
Can't WAIT for the clips Jun...

Who is the uke, and who is the nage? (if I may ask) And are you including sound as well? (didja hear that pin drop? )

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 11-10-2003, 05:55 PM   #85
akiy

Hi folks,

So I went and captured a couple of short video clip samples of a soft breakfall.

These clips are meant to give people a couple of samples of one certain kind of soft breakfall that I've encountered and are not authoritative by any means. There are people I know and have seen who can do this much more elegantly and quietly!

In any case, here are the sample clips:

http://www.aikiweb.net/videos/ukemi/softbreakfall1.mpg

http://www.aikiweb.net/videos/ukemi/softbreakfall2.mpg

I'll warn folks that they both weigh in at around 2.5 megabytes large and are 720x480 resolution in MPEG1 format. I'm only announcing these here in the Forums for now to make sure these are viewable, so please let me know if they don't work for you.

Thanks,

-- Jun

Old 11-10-2003, 07:26 PM   #86
aikidoc
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Jun those are great-would be nice to see one off a kotegaeshi or something as well. They demonstrate the arm leading the body perfectly
Old 11-10-2003, 08:49 PM   #87
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
Thank you Jun!

Kinda makes a foolish question about who was the uke and who was the nage .

By the way, was that you in the clip?
(Never having met, Y'know)
Thanks again, it is great to see this on-line.
Lan

Last edited by Lan Powers : 11-10-2003 at 08:52 PM.

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 11-10-2003, 09:32 PM   #88
Abasan
Dojo: Aiki Shoshinkan, Aiki Kenkyukai
Malaysia
thank you thank you. i haven't downloaded em yet cause i'm at the office. can't wait to view em.

Draw strength from stillness. Learn to act without acting. And never underestimate a samurai cat.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:32 PM   #89
XhessCake
Dojo: Iwama Ryu Dojo // Malmö
As from what some ppl say u put alot of weight on the nages arm.... Seems kinda stupid to me... In the dojo it can be cool but outside it'll hurt more t land like that

Im not smart enough to come up with a good one myself.... "Yet"
Old 11-11-2003, 12:36 AM   #90
shugyosha
Hello Jun,

thank you very much. I will study that new breakfall carefully! :-)

greets

Steffen

Steffen Glückselig, shugyoing Yoshinkan Aikido in Würzburg, Germany
:: gungfu.de ::
Old 11-11-2003, 04:23 AM   #91
Daniel Mills

Dojo: Kokyu Aikido Association.
Wow
Old 11-11-2003, 07:35 AM   #92
aikidoc
United_States
"As from what some ppl say u put alot of weight on the nages arm.... Seems kinda stupid to me... In the dojo it can be cool but outside it'll hurt more t land like that"

Johannes:

Actually, it is less traumatic to the arm. On a hard surface I think I would rather touch and let myself down a bit vs. slapping which would really smart on cement or wood. It takes practice but once you master it there is very little impact on the arm or body, as evidenced by the quietness of the landing. It takes some work to get it down consistently but it does not hurt when done properly.
Old 11-11-2003, 07:46 AM   #93
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Yep, that was Jun...as to it hurting, I'm not as good with that fall, but if you do it like that, it doesn't hurt at all. That's one reason its a 'soft' breakfall.

I've seen the yoshinkan variation...its definately amazing, I've even seen it done from kneeling in the space of one mat (the same person as before Jun ). You just hear a whisper. When a 7th dan does it, you don't even hear a whisper!

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 11-11-2003, 08:36 AM   #94
Don
Dojo: aikido of charlotte
Soft Breakfalls

We had Donovan Waite down for a seminar two summers ago and have been working softer ukemi ever since. The MPG's illustrate the use of a hand/arm as a shock absorber but that it really only part of it. Getting low by bending knees is also a big part of it. The closer you are to the ground translates into less distance to fall! While it may not be apparent, uke does have much influence on that, but they must be aware through the throw. It is possible even if you are going fast. Secondly, and this is going to seem counter intuitive, to get softer rolls, you need to abandon the concept of rolling over your arm. What! This is the way most of us are taught! That is true, and it serves to teaching maai ukemi well. However, the aspect of teaching that is frequently overlooked is the incredible importance of turning the body into the roll. This manifests itself, for instance, in kote gaeishi in uke making eye contact with nage through the roll. That turns the body and causes the roll to be more across the back, which makes a softer roll. This can EVENTUALLY be turned into a roll in which the arm is not even rolled on, but the much larger surface area of the back rolls across the mat. It is ABSOLUTELY critical for new students to not try this until they are very comfortable rolling up the arm and turning the body before abandoning the roll-up the arm. Otherwise, they will crater into their shoulder and probably separate it. However, the practicing of turning and getting low will result in much softer rolls/falls.
Old 11-11-2003, 11:24 AM   #95
akiy

Quote:
Johannes Davidsson (XhessCake) wrote:
As from what some ppl say u put alot of weight on the nages arm....
I can't say I've taken any measurements, but it's probably a lot less weight/impact than with a regular, slapping breakfall. It's probably about as much weight in the arm as in a forward roll.
Quote:
Seems kinda stupid to me... In the dojo it can be cool but outside it'll hurt more t land like that
From breakfalls I've demonstrated on hardwood floors, I'll say that a regular, slapping breakfall stings my hand/arms like crazy whereas the "soft" breakfalls are much less painful.

-- Jun

Old 11-11-2003, 02:44 PM   #96
aikidoc
United_States
I agree with Jun. When rolling you don't collapse the arm so as not to collapse into the roll. Since this is more like a high roll and you do collapse the arm, it would seem like you are stress the arm less than the roll would-seems like it to me anyway.
Old 11-12-2003, 01:02 PM   #97
John Boswell

United_States
Jun,

Thank you lots for those videos! You make it look so easy, but at least we have a point of reference now.

One request: Can you post them (when you get time) under one of your main board references, left side of homepage? Perhaps under the training section there, as opposed to the training forum... just so these videos will be easy to find and won't fall away as the forums move on.

Please? Thanks!

Old 11-12-2003, 01:10 PM   #98
akiy

Hi John,

I'll probably be putting them into the multimedia section or in the AikiGallery (when I set it up to accept video uploads!).

In the mean time, if you've had any trouble viewing the first clip, please try the following and let me know if it fixes things for you:

http://www.aikiweb.net/videos/ukemi/...eakfall1.1.mpg

Otherwise, since the clips are so short, they'll probably not stream very well. It'd be better to download them onto your local hard drive and play them from there rather than directly from the links.

-- Jun

Old 11-12-2003, 01:19 PM   #99
John Boswell

United_States
Oh! I've had no trouble with them. In fact, I've got them both saved and loaded up... watching them over and over again at work. (*sheesh! don't tell the boss!*)

I was just thinking of these being saved for others down the road. 3rd link worked for me though. Np.

Domo arigato!

Old 11-12-2003, 09:19 PM   #100
Alan Lomax
Dojo: Doumukai Aikido
Wink

Well Jun,

That not only gave us a couple of high quality examples of "Soft Break falls", but also answered the age-old question that has been burning in my mind. That being; if a Nana Dan fell down in the Dojo when no one else was around to hear, would they still make a sound?

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to put those out for us. I like the soft break fall. For me it is a work in progress. As my body has requested through various getting older type awarenesses, I employ the soft break fall whenever possible with regards to my limited abilities.

Regards

Alan Lomax
Doumukai Aikido