Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > "Off-The-Mat"

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-04-2014, 04:00 AM   #1
Sojourner
Australia
Receiving Verbal Abuse.

They call this policeman "the worlds most patient cop". Clearly he could have arrested this man for his abusive language but chose not to and activated a different strategy to deal with this man having a temper tantrum. If you were both a cop and an Aikidoa, would you respond in this way, or in a different way?

http://youtu.be/o_JtFBnFS1Y
Old 02-04-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA
Re: Receiving Verbal Abuse.

I have, many times. Only a very few violators go off in rants like these and most officers don't get too worked up over it. All of this man's ranting, as obnoxious as it was, didn't constitute an offense justifying an arrest. All in all, not a big thing in the realm of traffic enforcement.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 02-05-2014, 01:17 AM   #3
Krystal Locke
United_States

Quote:
Ben White wrote: View Post
They call this policeman "the worlds most patient cop". Clearly he could have arrested this man for his abusive language but chose not to and activated a different strategy to deal with this man having a temper tantrum. If you were both a cop and an Aikidoa, would you respond in this way, or in a different way?

Look up "woofing." Woofing training makes a big difference for me. It is too much for some folks, especially if the woofer has knowledge of the person they're woofing at. Start small and work up to a big woofer over time, unless you already know you really can let the words roll off.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:33 AM   #4
Eva Antonia
Dojo: CERIA
Belgium

Hi,

my brother used to say "an ear can listen to a lot of crap before it falls off".
I think that's a great motto for receiving verbal abuse...just ignore it.

Best,

Eva
Old 02-05-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Rob Watson
United_States

Quote:
Ben White wrote: View Post

Free speech ... we like it anyway. Abusive language is not a crime in such a context. Even if it means blowhards get to blow hard. Nice to see a professional in a position of authority not lose their poise and succumb to sophomoric pranks (dash cams are nice) or emotionally unstable high pitched screeching.

Littering is a serious problem and can carry very high fines. $1000 in my neck of the woods.

For all the kids out there let this be a lesson - just keep your mouth shut and it will all be over much more quickly. Also, drive safe.

For an evening of kicks take a listen to your local dispatch - many are online in real time.

"In my opinion, the time of spreading aikido to the world is finished; now we have to focus on quality." Yamada Yoshimitsu

Ultracrepidarianism ... don't.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #6
Dave Sampson
United Kingdom

Quote:
Robert M Watson Jr wrote: View Post
Free speech ... we like it anyway. Abusive language is not a crime in such a context..
Try saying that to a bobby in the UK. Something called affray.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:28 PM   #7
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

There are any number of nations where it would be unwise and unlawful. It isn't very smart here either. Why go out of your way to offend an individual who has a certain amount of power in the exchange? Like goosing a grizzly in a phone booth - you can do it, but it isn't the best idea.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 02-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
Dave de Vos

Dojo: Shoryukai, Breda (aikikai) & Aiki-Budocentrum Breda (yoseikan)
Netherlands

In the Netherlands we have freedom of speech, but insulting a person is forbidden. Insulting a police officer at work can get you a 650 euro fine (1000 dollars).

Last edited by Dave de Vos : 02-08-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Edgecrusher

Dojo: Tampa, FL
United_States

It shouldn't matter what anybody thinks or says about you. I have been called every name in the book and it takes a lot to get my fuse lit. If the individual physically touches me while insulting me , then I will react in a way not beneficial to the aggressor. The words are meaningless and a reaction is not warranted.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:03 PM   #10
JP3

Dojo: Wasabi Dojo
United_States

Hmmm... maybe reach in the door and turn off the videocamera and then taser the guy? That might be an adequate response to being treated in that way....

But ... that's my mean side from back in the bad old bouncer days. He, the trooper, showed a lot of restraint. Good officer.

I find it interesting that the kanji character for kuzushi illustrates a mountain falling on a house.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:43 PM   #11
Malicat
Dojo: Suenaka-Ha Aikido of Bloomington
United_States

Quote:
Dave de Vos wrote: View Post
In the Netherlands we have freedom of speech, but insulting a person is forbidden. Insulting a police officer at work can get you a 650 euro fine (1000 dollars).
How do you have freedom of speech if insulting someone is forbidden? Sorry, I'm just curious on how that one works. Also, it's only about 885 usd. Pfft, quit exaggerating!
Old 06-12-2014, 02:29 PM   #12
Phil Van Treese
Dojo: Tampa Judo and Aikido Dojo, Tampa, Fl
United_States

I am from Groningen--up north. And you do have freedom of speech, even to insult someone. You also have the responsibility to take the consequences of what you said. If you don't like paying fines, then be quiet.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:11 PM   #13
Brett Charvat
United_States

While the topic at hand (remaining calm while being verbally assaulted) is a worthwhile discussion, the video linked to in the first post is also a good example of our needing to be careful what we believe in just because it's on video. As a former Highway Patrolman myself, the video in question and the (former) officer involved were the subject of one of our lectures at the academy. Obviously we can see what happens; the officer initiates a stop on a psychotic motorist and keeps his cool even in the face of the world's worst human being. Pretty cut and dried, right?

Wrong.

The officer in this case is most assuredly the bad guy, even though you can't see how in the video. He had been receiving so many complaints about verbally abusing citizens during his traffic stops that he decided to rig the game in his favor. His M.O. was to initiate a stop, shut off his dash cam, make initial contact with the driver and verbally abuse them for several minutes, screaming and threatening jail time, etc., really winding them up. Then he'd return to his patrol vehicle, start his dash cam and return to the stopped vehicle as if it were his initial contact, cool as a cucumber in the face of the now terrified and wound-up driver. It even worked for a little while, until the complaints continued to pile up and an investigation was initiated on him. It didn't take long for investigators to toss him out of the agency. His case is one of the chief reasons that most if not all in-car cameras are now equipped with constant overwrite memory; that is to say that once it is triggered on via activation of lights, siren, and/or body mic, not only does it record from that moment forward, but a separate drive also records the ten minutes previous to the activation trigger. It's a brilliant idea, and one that has helped to keep both officers and the public they serve safe from dishonesty on both sides.

Anyway, the point is that not everything is as it appears. Even on video.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #14
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Brett Charvat wrote: View Post
The officer in this case is most assuredly the bad guy, even though you can't see how in the video. He had been receiving so many complaints about verbally abusing citizens during his traffic stops that he decided to rig the game in his favor. His M.O. was to initiate a stop, shut off his dash cam, make initial contact with the driver and verbally abuse them for several minutes, screaming and threatening jail time, etc., really winding them up. Then he'd return to his patrol vehicle, start his dash cam and return to the stopped vehicle as if it were his initial contact, cool as a cucumber in the face of the now terrified and wound-up driver. It even worked for a little while, until the complaints continued to pile up and an investigation was initiated on him. It didn't take long for investigators to toss him out of the agency. His case is one of the chief reasons that most if not all in-car cameras are now equipped with constant overwrite memory; that is to say that once it is triggered on via activation of lights, siren, and/or body mic, not only does it record from that moment forward, but a separate drive also records the ten minutes previous to the activation trigger. It's a brilliant idea, and one that has helped to keep both officers and the public they serve safe from dishonesty on both sides.

Anyway, the point is that not everything is as it appears. Even on video.
Wow Brett that is crazy thanks for sharing. As I was watching I was thinking that there must have been some reason that the driver was acting in such a way.....and it couldn't have simply been attributed to too much coffee as the description of the video suggests on YouTube.

Also, as I was watching I was thinking that I should limit my coffee intake before going to the dojo.

Chris Sawyer
Training day is every day