Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Anonymous

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-18-2003, 11:07 AM   #51
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
couldn't import the pic anon 2

http://www.wizards.com/sideboard/images/ehi03/022.jpg

in response.....
Old 07-20-2003, 12:22 AM   #52
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Quote:
...I am sure when I am asked to pay for federation dues or whatever else, the monies will go to the appropriate persons.
This may be too simple but why don't students send their checks directly to their respective organizations and bypass the chief instructors completely... that's how we work it and it seems to work just fine (not that we're having any trouble with him it's just easier this way ).

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 07-20-2003, 06:24 PM   #53
Erik
Quote:
() wrote:
I have not had any luck contacting Wolk sensei, so before contacting Goldsbury sensei, I am planning on talking to Wolk sensei during summer camp the week of the 27th. I will be attending the entire camp, so hopefully I can find her ear for a few minutes.
Anonymous, with all due respect quit being a wimp. What is this crap about hopefully finding her ear for a few minutes? That's bullshit of the first order. It's not your job to prostrate yourself before the royalty within the USAF while pleading desperately for a merciful ear to your plight. It's their job to be available and to respond to these sorts of issues which I'm pretty sure they WANT to hear about.

In the first place, I'm assuming you've left detailed messages of your problem, they should have your phone ringing off the hook, or at least they would if they were worth a damn. At the very least someone else should be around to answer the damn phone or check the messages which you've surely been leaving, right, right? Secondly, contact Peter Goldsbury. I can think of no one, and I've never met him, who I would more want on my side over this issue. He's diplomatic beyond belief, at least on the net so I presume in person as well, and he's a direct line to the principle.

Quit screwing around, and passively whining out here, while hoping someone will hear your pleas and resolve the problem for you. Get it moving and dump this one into Yamada's lap where it belongs.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:53 AM   #54
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 30cb57f7
Anonymous User
I also added to this thread and in response .. I believe the originator did the best thing possible for this situation.

The people whose ethics are in question would like nothing more than silence. If they were to get disiplined by the federation things would still be kept quiet. The thing that will do the most good is talk within the population.

and to infoseeker who posted on page 2 ... WHOOO HOO ! RIGHT ON!!!
Old 07-21-2003, 12:26 PM   #55
Erik
Quote:
() wrote:
I also added to this thread and in response .. I believe the originator did the best thing possible for this situation.

The people whose ethics are in question would like nothing more than silence. If they were to get disiplined by the federation things would still be kept quiet. The thing that will do the most good is talk within the population.

and to infoseeker who posted on page 2 ... WHOOO HOO ! RIGHT ON!!!
How can they be disciplined by a federation they are not a part of? How can a federation they are part of not notice the missing dues and other fees?

By the way, I have no problem with it being aired out here. I may even have been too hard on the original anon but people tend to get stupid around sensei. This is not a sensei issue but a business issue. You should be able to walk up to whomever, lay it out line by line and get a straight up answer as to what is going to happen next. Since that is not happening it seems to me that a number of folks may be at fault on this one.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:01 AM   #56
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 30cb57f7
Anonymous User
ANY UPDATES?

I SAY KICK THE FOOL OUT OF THE USAF
Old 08-30-2003, 12:30 PM   #57
"Fed Up"
IP Hash: fe4ed4de
Anonymous User
Evil Eyes Any updates?

Did Sensei get booted?

Will Anon get ranked? Or rankled?

Will Todd and Jessica get back together?

Will Susan do the right thing the right way?

And what about Amanda? Will she tell Troy he's not the father?

Will Rachel learn the truth about Yosh?
Old 08-30-2003, 02:59 PM   #58
rachmass
I love how the cynics here post anonymously and trash people, but don't have the guts to put their real names down. Makes me not believe a word they say.

And yes, I would much rather be a PolyAnna type person who only sees the good, than someone who looks for the bad. Makes life much nicer.

And to the first person who posted: please give us an update on what happened.

Rachel (Poly-Anna)
Old 08-31-2003, 06:12 PM   #59
giriasis
Dojo: Sand Drift Aikikai, Cocoa Florida
United_States
I support Rachel.

This is becoming a "bash the USAF" thread. It is one thing to ask a question about a problem you are having with a dojo, but the pages turned when Anon 2 posted the pic he/ she did. I have yet to see other people so blantantly bash the ASU, AAA, Iwama, Yoshinkan, Jiyushinkan, etc, as they are here. Rachel is providing constructive assistance here. If she wanted to the ignore the problem she wouldn't have said anything to begin with.

There is nothing polyannaish about it. It is called Professionalism.

Anne Marie Giri
Old 08-31-2003, 10:09 PM   #60
akiy

Hi folks,

I'd like to chime in here and remind people that hiding behind anonymity (or even non-anonymity) to attack others on a personal level is not welcome here. As I have stated before, prolonged activity of this kind may result in your IP address being banned from this site.

I hope everyone will read and comply with everything I have written in this announcement thread.

Thank you,

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 09-06-2003, 03:39 PM   #61
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 991126ba
Anonymous User
Quote:
Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:
Hi folks,
Hi. Ban away.

So does anyone know how this turned out? It seems the nice lady in Northhampton couldn'y help out. The USAF is a dysfunctional family with all sorts of abuses.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:33 PM   #62
"Anon 2"
IP Hash: 396c8279
Anonymous User
What Happened?

Does anyone know what happened to the poor person who started this thread? Did Susan Wolk make good? Did the Sensei get reprimanded? This was all supposed to happen over summer camp. Rachel, did you meet up with this person after all and what can you report back?
Old 09-21-2003, 05:31 AM   #63
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 1af8ae7d
Anonymous User
The USAF, like anything else in life, isn't perfect, but it is a wonderful organization. Lots of nice folks, and above all, HIGH STANDARDS for rank - they call nikkyu what other orgs call shodan.
Old 09-25-2003, 09:36 AM   #64
justinm
United Kingdom
Quote:
() wrote:
The USAF, like anything else in life, isn't perfect, but it is a wonderful organization. Lots of nice folks, and above all, HIGH STANDARDS for rank - they call nikkyu what other orgs call shodan.
Of course. And most other organisations would claim something similar. Have you ever heard any organisation say the reverse - "You know that organisation XYZ? Their nikkyu would be shodan in our club because our standards are much lower!"

I bet your shodans would be nikkyu in my organisation, and my shodans would be nikkyu in yours.

How to get the beginners mind set - keep changing organisations and get downgraded at least 2 grades every time. Before you know it you are no-kyu again

Justin
Old 10-12-2003, 08:13 AM   #65
"brucbaker@earthlink.net"
IP Hash: f62e54e9
Anonymous User
ok ... so no one has resolved this.

I have nothing better to do. E-mail me the exact details and I will resolve it.

brucbaker@Aol.com
Old 10-16-2003, 12:47 AM   #66
Hanna B
Sweden
Quote:
() wrote:
ok ... so no one has resolved this.

I have nothing better to do. E-mail me the exact details and I will resolve it.

brucbaker@Aol.com
Forgive me, but this was very very funny.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:51 AM   #67
"Anon2"
IP Hash: f409e50d
Anonymous User
What can anyone report about this unfortunate circumstance and it's resolution? Was Mr. Goldsbury of help? May I suggest to the USAF faithfuls out there that it is in your best interest to get this resolved (your support is apparently not enough) and report your success here. Is isn't really libel to say certain things about the USAF if they're true.

Susan Wolk can be reached at 413 586-9394

or via email @ smw7122@aol.com .
Old 10-22-2003, 12:38 PM   #68
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 8941b599
Anonymous User
The person that started this thread has moved out of the state and also quit Aikido. Couldn't take the BS.

From what I know from speaking with the person, the problem was not with the USAF Eastern region, it was with the dojo the person belonged to. The person paid annual USAF dues for 5 years, including this year, payed testing fees each year, but the paperwork was never submitted to the USAF.

The persons point was that the CI was taking annual memebership and testing fees from ALL his students, but never registering them with the USAF.

The problem is between the USAF and the CI of the dojo.

With the exception of a handful of students, the 2nd and 1st kyu's have changed dojos within the past couple of months. They know this dojo inparticular isn't very AIKI in his practices and do not want to go through the embarassment of appling for testing at a major USAF seminar.

How would you feel if you were filling out your dan paperwork, as they are now on the brink of becoming a serious student of aikido, to be asked for their USAF memembership number and not being able to provide one.

Not sure if that would stop them from testing, as this certain chief instructor is savy with the tougue, but why be stressed over it???

I wouldn't put it pass the chief instructor to tell the student that they had to pay back membership dues and blame it on the federation.

sad, but true.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:58 PM   #69
"Unregistered"
IP Hash: 6b6f5fea
Anonymous User
Quote:
Eric Joyce wrote:
Reported the fool to the USAF and expalin your situation. Sorry to hear that happened to you.
Dojo do not operate outside of society. If I understand you aright (and if you don't indeed have USAF certificates as Jim Baker points out), you're talking about fraud: Your teacher has taken monies from you under false pretenses. Failing his cooperation when asked nicely, were I in your position, I'd draft a letter to the State's Attorneys office and drop it under the nose of the wayward teacher. If that doesn't wake him up, send it.
Old 10-22-2003, 01:08 PM   #70
rachmass
I'll bite again

Quote:
From what I know from speaking with the person, the problem was not with the USAF Eastern region, it was with the dojo the person belonged to. The person paid annual USAF dues for 5 years, including this year, payed testing fees each year, but the paperwork was never submitted to the USAF.
So, you know who it is who has been involved, why not contact Ms. Wolk yourself? She's very easy to deal with, and extremely helpful, really.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:07 PM   #71
"Unregistered"
Anonymous User
Yes I know who the person is, but I left the school. Should I ask Ms. Wolk to look into it?
Old 10-22-2003, 02:26 PM   #72
rachmass
Quote:
Yes I know who the person is, but I left the school. Should I ask Ms. Wolk to look into it?
if you know for a fact that someone is taking people's money for the purpose of USAF dues and not registering them with the ER, then yes, contact her. If it is just hearsay, then be careful about it, and ask for advice on a "hypothetical" situation. If she wants further information on this, give it to her. Let her lead. Again, if it is a verifiable fact, and this has been going on for years, then I would think you have an obligation to do so.

The problem with this thread has been some of the accusations that have been floating around, without details or fact (not yours, but a couple of others). How can anyone respond properly to innuendo and rumor (guess one shouldn't)?

Best wishes on this. Susan Wolk is a good person and should help direct you on this difficult situation.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:47 PM   #73
"Unregistered"
Anonymous User
Instead of accusing, I guess I can provide her with a hypothetical on the dojo in question and she can either pursue or not.

It's not about the USAF it's about one particular dojo.

Thank you for your help and hopefully there will be some resolution.
Old 10-22-2003, 02:51 PM   #74
rachmass
Good luck, I really hope that this helps. Unfortunately one rotten apple can make the whole batch look bad.

Please let us know how it resolves in the end.

best, Rachel
Old 06-27-2004, 02:19 PM   #75
ValiantMouse
United_States
Re: Member of USAF or not?

With limited experience in such things I would think it proper to have a formal letter from ones most recent Sensei that you are in good standing and your rank. It seems respectful and gives the new sensei an idea of what to expect. May I ask, does the USAF East accept USAF West rankings and vise versa, also could someone explain to me the difference as I've seen both in the west and east? My guess would be the headquarters location? If so is that all that separates the two?

John