Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 07-06-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
tim evans
United_States
Iriminage 5th kyu test technique?

Hey guys first post and a weird question on shomenuchi irriminage how fast or slow do I bring uke around and when I irrimi in do I cut his arm to my thigh then tenkan or grab his arm and lead him around?thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Janet Rosen

Re: irriminage 5th kyu test technique?

It should be as fast or slow as it needs to be for you to be accurate.
As for the rest of the details, different schools/styles vary, so best to check with your instructor or a senior student.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 07-07-2009, 04:59 AM   #3
roman naly

depends how fast or slow he attacks
Old 07-07-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal

Was talking about speed with another student last night at class; if you throw your uke so fast you cant stay connected with them, then that is clearly too fast.

I second Janet's opinion, and would add to go slower and slower until you can just make it work, and work there for a while. Slowly bring a little more speed over the following months, and occasionally, revisit how slow you can do it.

Or I could be completely wrong....

Old 07-07-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
NagaBaba

Forget about tenkaning around, it is good only to the sissies. Cut him stright down like a thunder and unify him with a tatami as strong as you can. This is a Way of Aikido.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 07-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #6
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Szczepan Janczuk wrote: View Post
Forget about tenkaning around, it is good only to the sissies. Cut him stright down like a thunder and unify him with a tatami as strong as you can. This is a Way of Aikido.
The street version without the tenkan would work but my uke or sensei would not like it in the dojo.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:53 PM   #7
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Onegaishimasu. I think the first thing shomenuchi iriminage teaches is how to step aside. One hand one uke's hip, and one hand on his/her head, and it's all over.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 07-08-2009, 09:02 AM   #8
NagaBaba

Quote:
Tim Evans wrote: View Post
The street version without the tenkan would work but my uke or sensei would not like it in the dojo.
Hi Tim,
As you can notice, I was talking about tatami and not about the street. I believe the iriminage without tenkan is very valid, particulary during the test. Your instructor never taught it in your dojo?

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 07-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
Basia Halliop
Canada

Quote:
As you can notice, I was talking about tatami and not about the street. I believe the iriminage without tenkan is very valid, particulary during the test. Your instructor never taught it in your dojo?
I'm not sure how you'd show 'an omote and an ura version of every technique' without some tenkans? For me, those were part of the requirements of my tests starting from 5th kyu.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:
Basia Halliop wrote: View Post
I'm not sure how you'd show 'an omote and an ura version of every technique' without some tenkans? For me, those were part of the requirements of my tests starting from 5th kyu.
It seems the thing that has frustrated many of the beginners is the realization that for some reason ura isnt working in a particular situation where 'pressure' is applied.

Fact is every technique does not work for every scenario...sure we learn it, but for the most part there are specific instances where ura makes more sense then omote... [or vice versa]

Tsuki Csudan is a good example of where Kote Gaeshi Ura works better than omote...at speed. [not just me with my 2 years of experience, but my instructor with 10+ years experience agrees.]

Quote:
As far as this, I would tend to agree. If you have a stubborn strong uke, your not going to tenkan him regardless of your beautifully centered move. Once this happened at a seminar, and our 5th degree Sensei came up and showed me a move to nail him to the ground...

I think if you know what your Sensei expects, then you have more flexibility in testing...but it does take awhile to get used to it.

The key thing for your first test is to take it slow and do it correct. Even in higher kyu ranks, one of the senseis watching told the guys to slow down... [speed is good and necessary, and more than appreciated where we train] but for lower to mid kyu they want to make sure you have the steps and concepts of what is working and why.

If you think about speed, you wont execute the technique correctly... or rather, let it flow naturally.

Good luck on your test.

Peace

dAlen

Last edited by dalen7 : 07-08-2009 at 10:42 AM.

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 07-08-2009, 03:30 PM   #11
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Hi Tim,
He has taught it that way but being new and trying to figure all the little things that go along with the technique is quite intimidating to say the least but I wiil slow down and breathe .thanks everyone
Old 09-03-2009, 01:16 PM   #12
tim evans
United_States

I have hit a wall on this technique and need some advice how do you deal with a much bigger and taller person.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #13
Janet Rosen

I'm 5 foot 2 so except for kids most all attackers are taller than me. It generally requires being patient and letting the attacker come to me, otherwise I would be overextending and off balance. If the attacker is attacking ME and not some amorphous not-me over .....there then eventually he's in range.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 09-03-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote: View Post
I'm 5 foot 2 so except for kids most all attackers are taller than me. It generally requires being patient and letting the attacker come to me, otherwise I would be overextending and off balance. If the attacker is attacking ME and not some amorphous not-me over .....there then eventually he's in range.
So when I enter behind him should I be a foot or so behind him so when I grab the back of the gi to bring him to my shoulder he,s leaning off balance?
Old 09-03-2009, 07:01 PM   #15
dps

This is a 'Shomenuchi Iriminage' YouTube clip of Yamada Sensei's video "Aikido The Power and The Basics" Volume 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pst3IiCe8w

Since your dojo is USAF under Yamada Sensei I would recommend you buy the three volume set.

http://marketplace.aikidoonline.com/...lts.asp?Cat=31

David

Last edited by dps : 09-03-2009 at 07:08 PM.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #16
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
This is a 'Shomenuchi Iriminage' YouTube clip of Yamada Sensei's video "Aikido The Power and The Basics" Volume 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pst3IiCe8w

Since your dojo is USAF under Yamada Sensei I would recommend you buy the three volume set.

http://marketplace.aikidoonline.com/...lts.asp?Cat=31

David
I have watched it a lot but I,m still having trouble with taller ukes do I need to concentrate on the circular movement of the technique itself
Old 09-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #17
dps

Quote:
Tim Evans wrote: View Post
I have watched it a lot but I,m still having trouble with taller ukes do I need to concentrate on the circular movement of the technique itself
Watch the video and notice that Yamada's right arm and hand moves at the same time his right leg and foot moves and his left arm and left hand move at the same time his left leg and foot does.

If you lift the weight off of your right leg and twist your hips to the left your right leg and arm will move forward. If you twist your hips to the right your right arm and leg will move backward.

If you lift the weight off your left leg and twist your hips to the right your left leg and arm moves forward. If you twist your hips to the left your left arm and leg moves backward.

Synchronize your movements with uke's and move the legs and arms with the hips.

Of course uke has attack like he/she means it even if it is a slow attack.

David

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:18 AM   #18
Shadowfax

Dojo: Allegheny Aikido, Pitsburgh PA
United_States
Re: Iriminage 5th kyu test technique?

Bring him down to your level.

I spent an hour last night just working on this technique. It is on my upcoming test as well. One thing we focused on for me was as I entered in behind uke I needed to settle a bit. Kind of lower myself and bring uke down with me with my hands on his shoulder and elbow. It actually begins to take uke off balance right there making the throw kind of inevitable.
I know it seems counter intuitive to lower yourself when you are already shorter then Uke but it actually does work if you get that connection with him and bring him with you.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #19
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Watch the video and notice that Yamada's right arm and hand moves at the same time his right leg and foot moves and his left arm and left hand move at the same time his left leg and foot does.

If you lift the weight off of your right leg and twist your hips to the left your right leg and arm will move forward. If you twist your hips to the right your right arm and leg will move backward.

If you lift the weight off your left leg and twist your hips to the right your left leg and arm moves forward. If you twist your hips to the left your left arm and leg moves backward.

Synchronize your movements with uke's and move the legs and arms with the hips.

Of course uke has attack like he/she means it even if it is a slow attack.

David
The way we have been doing it slow... slower than normal this could be the problem the energys not there for the technique.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:28 AM   #20
Voitokas

United_States

For me it helps, once I have their center held down to mine, to think of pushing uke around the circle rather than pulling him. But, as dps said, uke has to attack like they mean it; with their whole body and not just the arm - otherwise you're trying to pull them down to your level rather than keeping them there...

I am not an expert
Old 09-04-2009, 07:46 PM   #21
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Jeremy Morrison wrote: View Post
For me it helps, once I have their center held down to mine, to think of pushing uke around the circle rather than pulling him. But, as dps said, uke has to attack like they mean it; with their whole body and not just the arm - otherwise you're trying to pull them down to your level rather than keeping them there...
I had a unique oppurtunity today to work on this technique with the instructor 1 on 1 since I was the only 1 at class the bringing then down to your level helped tremendously also got some tips on other techniques that would have took years to get, thanks to all.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #22
John Longford
Dojo: Cambridge Aikido, Cambridge UK
England

Hi Tim,
Obviously as Janet said at the beginning of the thread there are different ways this is taught. The way I teach is to take the back of the neck/Gi with your forearm tight across the Uke's back and the elbow approxiamately at his/her kidneys. Lock the chin against your other bicep with the arm pointing up. Push your hips back as if you were performing the hasso with the Jo. This gives you the opening to step behind the Uke as you bring your arm in an arc down. Hope this makes sense.
Don't worry too much, I was told when I started in 1980 that Irimi was a 20 year technique. Not true, I am still not satisfied with it!
Old 09-05-2009, 03:19 PM   #23
Walter Martindale
Canada

Not sure, but at practice last week one of our dojo's senior students who's been at Nagoya for 4 years with Sawada described one way of doing the iriminage. It looked like (and he described it a bit like) latching on to uke as you do (whether it's palming his/her neck to press the head to your shoulder or grabbing the back of the gi collar) and while attached to uke, lowering your centre (bending your legs) and essentially falling backwards yourself, while turning - this brings uke with you, and the turning allows you to recover your own balance, and makes it harder for uke to regain his/hers. Naturally, all the cutting movements of the other arm stay similar to whatever is done in a "normal" (whatever that is) iriminage.

We have a variety of instructors from a variety of backgrounds - some are direct as suggested by Nagababa and others are circular and flowing. Don't all have a place?
Cheers,
Walter
I think.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #24
tim evans
United_States

Quote:
Walter Martindale wrote: View Post
Not sure, but at practice last week one of our dojo's senior students who's been at Nagoya for 4 years with Sawada described one way of doing the iriminage. It looked like (and he described it a bit like) latching on to uke as you do (whether it's palming his/her neck to press the head to your shoulder or grabbing the back of the gi collar) and while attached to uke, lowering your centre (bending your legs) and essentially falling backwards yourself, while turning - this brings uke with you, and the turning allows you to recover your own balance, and makes it harder for uke to regain his/hers. Naturally, all the cutting movements of the other arm stay similar to whatever is done in a "normal" (whatever that is) iriminage.

We have a variety of instructors from a variety of backgrounds - some are direct as suggested by Nagababa and others are circular and flowing. Don't all have a place?
Cheers,
Walter
I think.
The main thing that was emphasized to me was control the head and bring them down to my level even with all the differrent aikido styles basics are basics
Old 10-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #25
Kabura
Dojo: Okinawa Aikikai
Japan

in our dojo for the 5 kyu exam they only want you to do the shomenuchi iriminage tenkan Our sensei told us do not use the other way