Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #526
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States
Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Our dojo is charging about 12 pounds each month for membership and training 3 times a week. You be the judge weather or not this price is unfair.
Pound? What happened to the Kroner?

12 DKK equals $2.11US.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:10 PM   #527
Aikirk
Denmark

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Simon:

What do you think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z0_n7tGnK0

Marc Abrams
I think the journalist did a very good job at editing this film as to make his explanation sound stupid and fake.

Apart from that, he failed making the knockout. As I said before, this can be countered if you really put your mind into it. So can Aikido waza, which don't make Aikido waza fake.

Dillmann is still a marvellous martial artist, and his knowledge of pressure points and their application should not be disregarded because of failure to project his energy into one who is clearly resisting.

Energy projecting is not a golden gun, and Dillmann never said he could put anyone down with energy projection, but with his finger. That I do not doubt.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #528
RonRagusa
Dojo: Berkshire Hills Aikido
United_States

Moreover, the best part of practicing martial arts is that you learn good manners...

The movements of Japanese etiquette and the basic postures of martial arts such as kendo, judo, and aikido correspond...

Etiquette is preparedness. It is the way you show your respect for another person. Budo holds at its core respect for the character and humanity of every individual.

- Kenji Tomiki

From aikidojournal.com article id 430

Last edited by RonRagusa : 12-20-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: article url not working
Old 12-20-2010, 12:12 PM   #529
Aikirk
Denmark

Quote:
Michael Gelum wrote: View Post

12 DKK equals $2.11US.
It was a service to some of the english inhabitants here.

100 kr = 11.43 £
Old 12-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #530
mickeygelum

Dojo: Warren Budokan, Ohio USA
United_States

12 £ equals $18.63 USD...that is a great deal here. The fee here is $65 and upwards, depending on frequency and location.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:30 PM   #531
dps

Quote:
Simon Kirk Sørensen wrote: View Post
Just want to clarify a couple of things:

1. I'm an atheist, and will remain this for a while.

2. I'm open minded, and refuse to reject things which I have a hard time figuring out.
If you are an atheist,

( a broad sense, is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[4] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism)

then you are not open minded.

Quote:
2. I'm open minded, and refuse to reject things which I have a hard time figuring out.
Have you figured out God?

dps
Old 12-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #532
Aikirk
Denmark

Quote:
12 £ equals $18.63 USD...that is a great deal here. The fee here is $65 and upwards, depending on frequency and location.
Yes, I'm certainly not complaining. At Århus Aikikai it is even more favorable, as it is still 100 kr a month, and we can train up to 6 days a week plus Iaido three times a week. But this is also remarkably cheap.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #533
Aikirk
Denmark

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
If you are an atheist,

( a broad sense, is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[4] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism)

then you are not open minded.

Have you figured out God?

dps
Yes, this makes no sense. You can call me an agnostic.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #534
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
Nope, as always its the same as religious people who cannot explain there belief in some imaginary god, they just have blind faith, not rational faith which I am very happy to have........ Sorry if that disappoints you, as life usually is sometimes more mundane than people want it to be...... In my experience some or most things never live up to their claims..........
I try to explain with rational thinking and reasoning not something you cannot prove from nowhere as some mystical power....
I would hazard a guess that you may be religious or have tendencies towards the mysterious and unexplained in some way?...........
Or do you believe that everything will be explained given time and science......?
You're funny, Tony. So the fact is, you actually can't explain ki by using simple body mechanics, as you claimed you could. So at least we've gotten that out of the way.

You might hazard that guess, but then you'd just be wrong again, like you were when you said you could explain ki using simple body mechanics.

Happy trolling Tony!
Old 12-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #535
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Henry Ellis wrote: View Post
Only for the chosen ones with their tongues in the right place.

This Benny Hinn video is much better.
http://aikidoellisvideo.magnify.net/...e-Bodies-Hit-t

Benny has his tongue in cheek for this

Henry Ellis
http://aikido-controversy.blogspot.com/
Henry:

Funny you bring him up.... I frequently use him as an example of several things. 1) power of suggestion 2) He uses a wave motion when he puts his hand on the person, so the energy wave, rather than push is what they experience. The people being touched attribute this novel sensation to GOD healing them. 3) Even funnier is that he is SO MUCH SMARTER THAN US! He makes millions and millions of dollars on a simple martial arts movement. He just sells it better than we do without ANY tax implication (all in the name of religion) !

I sometimes put on a "skit" at the dojo, where I will touch the students like that so they feel how that type of movement can make a person fall down. I go into my nonsense about how they have been touched by the power from the "church of Aiki" and how they should immediately begin tithing!

I wonder if Dillman learned from him?

Marc Abrams
Old 12-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #536
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Yes, this makes no sense. You can call me an agnostic.
Simon, don't just buckle under so little pressure, you've gone from an atheist to an agnostic over a simple question of logic! I can't imagine a theist being so easily swayed

Anyway you can be an open minded atheist, stay here with us, don't join the fence sitters

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:51 PM   #537
Marc Abrams
United_States

Quote:
I think the journalist did a very good job at editing this film as to make his explanation sound stupid and fake.

Apart from that, he failed making the knockout. As I said before, this can be countered if you really put your mind into it. So can Aikido waza, which don't make Aikido waza fake.

Dillmann is still a marvellous martial artist, and his knowledge of pressure points and their application should not be disregarded because of failure to project his energy into one who is clearly resisting.

Energy projecting is not a golden gun, and Dillmann never said he could put anyone down with energy projection, but with his finger. That I do not doubt.
Simon:

1) Dillman may know a lot. He certainly knows enough about the power of suggestion to sell his no-touch "knock outs." He and his associates have had their positions "knocked out" by numerous people and organizations. I am not disputing the existence of Ki or one's ability to project Ki. I am disputing Dillman's claims. Excuses are like rectums, in that everyone has one. He seemed to have many....

2) Aikido waza done right will not be countered.

3) I can also put anyone down with a finger put in the right location and have not proven anything.

Marc Abrams
Old 12-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #538
Aikirk
Denmark

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Simon, don't just buckle under so little pressure, you've gone from an atheist to an agnostic over a simple question of logic! I can't imagine a theist being so easily swayed

Anyway you can be an open minded atheist, stay here with us, don't join the fence sitters
Well, I consider my self to change all the time, so why not?

Anyway I'm not going to start a virtual fight over something as irrelevant that.

But an open minded atheist suits me just fine. Wow, I just went from religious nutcase to atheist to agnostic to open minded atheist in a few minutes. The world is truly not standing still.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #539
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
2) Aikido waza done right will not be countered.
Ah, therin lies the holy grail!

Old 12-20-2010, 12:59 PM   #540
Mark Freeman
United Kingdom

Quote:
The world is truly not standing still.
True, but if it ever does, I hope it is when my side is facing the sun, I'd hate to live on the dark side!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #541
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
You're funny, Tony. So the fact is, you actually can't explain ki by using simple body mechanics, as you claimed you could. So at least we've gotten that out of the way.

You might hazard that guess, but then you'd just be wrong again, like you were when you said you could explain ki using simple body mechanics.

Happy trolling Tony!
Who's the troll?.... you still haven't explained to me your "ki" and how it make your aikido invincible...... You should deal with someone like Rik Ellis, or any Shodokan aikido player who would destroy your "ki" in seconds...... or any other player come to that.....
I'm still waiting......
Old 12-20-2010, 01:08 PM   #542
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:

Old 12-20-2010, 01:14 PM   #543
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England
Smile Re: Why do some people hate Aikido?

Quote:
Henry:

Funny you bring him up.... I frequently use him as an example of several things. 1) power of suggestion 2) He uses a wave motion when he puts his hand on the person, so the energy wave, rather than push is what they experience. The people being touched attribute this novel sensation to GOD healing them. 3) Even funnier is that he is SO MUCH SMARTER THAN US! He makes millions and millions of dollars on a simple martial arts movement. He just sells it better than we do without ANY tax implication (all in the name of religion) !

I sometimes put on a "skit" at the dojo, where I will touch the students like that so they feel how that type of movement can make a person fall down. I go into my nonsense about how they have been touched by the power from the "church of Aiki" and how they should immediately begin tithing!

I wonder if Dillman learned from him?

Marc Abrams
Marc

Benny is a class act and he obviously makes a lot of money...I have had him on my video site for a while now.
With Benny I can laugh at the comedy of it all.

Now with George Dilldo I want to puke.

And they are both much richer than I am...........

Henry Ellis

Last edited by Hellis : 12-20-2010 at 01:15 PM. Reason: error
Old 12-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #544
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:

12 DKK equals $2.11US.
Sounds very fair and good to me.......
I don't charge anything for instruction we all share the overhead responsibility or there is no practice.....!!
Old 12-20-2010, 01:26 PM   #545
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Marc

Benny is a class act and he obviously makes a lot of money...I have had him on my video site for a while now.

Henry Ellis
Dill do!! Ha Ha ha ha ha aha haaahha

Your a card Henry, that brought tears to my eyes!!!!! Your "ki" must be so strong ...... Ha HA HA HA HA AHAAHHH AAA Oh dear....
Old 12-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #546
Hellis
Dojo: Ellis Schools of Traditional Aikido
England

Quote:
Dill do!! Ha Ha ha ha ha aha haaahha

Your a card Henry, that brought tears to my eyes!!!!! Your "ki" must be so strong ...... Ha HA HA HA HA AHAAHHH AAA Oh dear....
Oooooooooooooops you noticed a spelling mistake, sorry about that.

Glad you got a ```buzz``` out of it

Henry

Henry Ellis
Old 12-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #547
chillzATL
United_States

Quote:
Who's the troll?.... you still haven't explained to me your "ki" and how it make your aikido invincible...... You should deal with someone like Rik Ellis, or any Shodokan aikido player who would destroy your "ki" in seconds...... or any other player come to that.....
I'm still waiting......
Oh Tony, you're only making it more obvious... You're too busy being internet tough guy to keep up with your own discussions. I've never said anything about what 'ki" can or can't do. I've only asked you to describe it using body mechanics, as you said you could do, but you couldn't.

You seem to think that because you've trained hard (giving your personality the benefit of the doubt here) that it gives you license to come around here and degrade what everyone else is doing, despite you really not knowing a damned thing about what everyone else is doing. Do you see the comedy in that? I do, from experience. Not only does that make you a troll, it makes you a fool. So enjoy your time under the bridge, may the sun find you sooner than later.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:42 PM   #548
Marc Abrams
United_States

Quote:
Marc

Henry Ellis
If you take your spelling of his last name with my link between excuses and rectums, I think that it is safe to say that Dillman is a pain-in-the-ass to people who work hard at trying to honestly demonstrate martial arts !

Henry,

Unfortunately, you and I were brought up to be men with integrity, rather than wealthy, regardless of the cost. That applies 2X in my life- Helping people for a living and teaching martial arts (I guess momma did raise dumb babies ).

Regards,

marc abrams
Old 12-20-2010, 01:47 PM   #549
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Jason Casteel wrote: View Post
Oh Tony, you're only making it more obvious... You're too busy being internet tough guy to keep up with your own discussions. I've never said anything about what 'ki" can or can't do. I've only asked you to describe it using body mechanics, as you said you could do, but you couldn't.

You seem to think that because you've trained hard (giving your personality the benefit of the doubt here) that it gives you license to come around here and degrade what everyone else is doing, despite you really not knowing a damned thing about what everyone else is doing. Do you see the comedy in that? I do, from experience. Not only does that make you a troll, it makes you a fool. So enjoy your time under the bridge, may the sun find you sooner than later.
Not degrading just questioning it..... You still haven't explained your "ki" to me........
So who really has the doubts .... I wonder??
I'm not a "tough" guy as you so wrongly put it but a realist who sees life for what it really is..... I bleed and bruise just like the rest of you and have experienced that in real life. I'm not proud of it .... it was either that or a poor young lady police officer possibly kicked to death, now that would have been irresponsible of me to ignore and think of my "ki"........
Not the only time either...... just been a bit unlucky I suppose..... it has a tendency to come looking for me...... One day the same may happen to you, I hope it doesn't for your sake......

Last edited by Tony Wagstaffe : 12-20-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:58 PM   #550
Demetrio Cereijo
Spain

Quote:
Ron Ragusa wrote: View Post
It's not that something else is happening. The same thing is happening, two people are having a difficult time lifting one person. What you have shown is the equivalence of two metaphors used to explain the same real event. The physics metaphor is mathematical while the ki metaphor is experiential.
Want a third one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-YRxTnAxsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZm4VrjyB1A (a spaniard mentalist)

Quote:
My question is, when it comes to instructing Aikido students on how to achieve weight underside, which model makes the better teaching tool?
Depends on what do you want to achieve.

PS: another interesting clip
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/67471/...fu_mind_punch/