Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-29-2014, 09:23 AM   #1
miser
United Kingdom
Religious or spiritual significance of animals in the dojo

A long time ago I once heard it said that animals could carry with them kami, or Shinto spirits. Therefore, if an animal appears at the dojo, it should be treated with particular respect, considering the kami to be a distinguished visitor of the dojo.

I don't know the origin of this belief, but I think it's interesting. Does anyone know if there any custom to view animals in this way, or to treat them differently in a dojo or places of Shinto significance?

I haven't heard this belief expressed by anyone since, but it sure seems nicer than the indiscriminate crane fly swatting to which I've sometimes bore witness.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old 09-30-2014, 12:48 AM   #2
kewms
Re: Religious or spiritual significance of animals in the dojo

I'm not familiar with Shinto specifically, but the idea of animals as representatives or incarnations of spirit beings is common in shamanistic religions worldwide. Even more so when the animal in question appears in a consecrated space, or is associated with the guardian spirit of a person or location.

Several religions also view animals generally as having souls like humans, just at a different stage of development. This is the underlying rationale for religiously-motivated vegetarianism, for instance.

Katherine
Old 09-30-2014, 01:05 AM   #3
Sojourner
Australia

When I trained in Hapkido the Sensei was a Buddhist and no killing of insects was permitted inside the Dojo for the same reasons that insects cannot be killed in thier temples and have to be relocated outside.

Another point is that the founder of Aikido was of the Omoto sect which is not the same thing as Shintoism although there are various parallels, so looking up information in Shintoism may not provide you the answer that you are looking for.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:35 AM   #4
phitruong
Dojo: Charlotte Aikikai Agatsu Dojo
United_States

we practiced in an old building from 1960s surrounded by a large wooded lot. we shared with lots of animals. there were some mice. we set out the traps. got a few. then they disappeared. few months later, while i was dusting behind the shomen, a big black snake stuck its head out. chased it outside. 'em tasted like chicken with lots of bones. stopped wondering about where the mice went. there were roaches. bug sprayed. there were bees. left them alone. bought some honey. killed some spiders inside. left the one outside alone. a deer shown up on regular basis with its two little ones. watched them play in the grass and wondering why i had an urge for venison. went for a big juicy hamburger instead (why call hamburger when there isn't any ham involved? same with hotdogs). one must live with nature, right at the top of the food chain.

"budo is putting on cold, wet, sweat stained gi with a smile and a snarl" - your truly
http://charlotteaikikai.org