Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Spiritual

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #1
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England
Spiritual Principles of Centre.

Been a long time since I started a thread. Yo missed me? ha, ha. So, time for some more spiritual side of Aikido, along with perspective of course, given in my usual fashion.

I like to translate what many consider complex and even mystical or highly debated terms into simple understandable things. So here I am going to give one principle of centre and hope for some it will explain something they may have found difficult to grasp.

I am going to talk about centre and yin and yang and the phenomenon of centripetal force.

So simply put there is a centre point. Now if we apply the yin and yang concept here we see energy attracted into it and energy given out from it. Expansion-Contraction, Outflow-Inflow. Yo get the picture.

Just understanding that can help taking some significance away from the practice of breathing techniques and show you what basically the breathing is leading you to recognize.

Now to Ki. You have read about if not practiced 'flowing Ki'. For Aikido is based on universal spiritual principles which means spiritual, underlying principles which apply to everything. Thus yin and yang. Thus also naturally Ki flows in and out. So if you could align with the Ki flowing into centre and even utilize it you would be 'drawing' someone in if you did so in Aikido for example.

Now I have seen comments questioning why a person in Aikido hold out their arm, offers their wrist so that the uke attacks it, runs and grabs it. Many think this is strange and others think it's not 'real' and all kinds of assumptions can be made about the why of doing so. Well, you don't have to do that as the whole of Aikido practice but it is a very important part if the why is understood.

But first let's jump now to centripetal force. Physically it's equated with a turning motion as is centrifugal force so it's good to look at where you have seen it in operation in Aikido. A turning movement where the uke is also drawn in. A complete Iriminage would be a good example. So you can see that whilst turning the centripetal force principle should be the one being used.

So what is this principle in its everyday simplistic form? It's a spiritual principle and one you can easily equate as a mental one if that makes you feel more comfortable. It's the same one that should be used when 'holding your arm out' for your wrist to be attacked. Thus it becomes a discipline. A focus. The practice of which aligns you with the principle.

The principle is very simple and common, it is Invitation. The principle Invite.

When you invite you are spiritually aligning yourself with the inflowing Ki of centre.

It's so simple yet there you have it. That's spiritual minus the mysticism. Then it's down to practice and polishing for only when the invite is pure will it be irresistible.

Have fun.

Peace.G.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
mrlizard123
Dojo: Templegate Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: Spiritual Principles of Centre.

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
I am going to talk about centre and yin and yang and the phenomenon of centripetal force.
Something like this?

from xkcd.com

Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile
Old 02-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
graham christian
England

Mmmm, good example of a 'mind' in action.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:09 AM   #4
graham christian
England
Spiritual Principles of Centre 2

The second principle of centre is the natural outflow. This follows the principle of welcome. So we have 'invite' and we have 'welcome'. Simple.

So now you can study and look at what you do actually invite and what you welcome. How you use, utilize your centre.

Peace.G.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #5
graham christian
England

So now for the basis of yin and yang as a universal principle using the above. Humility invites and compassion supports. The invite and the welcome in natural operation throughout the universe.

Humility invites harmony and compassion supports.

Thus we get organization, organisms, the way of life itself. The centre of these two 'forces' is of course Ki.

Peace.G.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #6
Dan Richards
Dojo: Latham Eclectic
United_States

Quote:
Graham Christian wrote: View Post
The principle is very simple and common, it is Invitation. The principle Invite.
Yes, Nishio would always say this. "We invite."

And this takes on the implication of having the ability to create a space in which to invite. And therein lies the eternal practice.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
graham christian
England

Quote:
Dan Richards wrote: View Post
Yes, Nishio would always say this. "We invite."

And this takes on the implication of having the ability to create a space in which to invite. And therein lies the eternal practice.
Yes indeed Dan, I agree. These fundamental principles lead to many things also and finally to understanding Budo.

By the way, noticed not too many Aikidoka doing the harlem shake......come on folks

Peace.G.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:46 PM   #8
Sojourner
Australia

Very interesting post Graham, I would like to share this with you re the Point within a Circle within the Masonic Lodge that you and some of our other members may find interesting. I suspect you may be able to recognise the teaching that lies within it. This is a small section taken from a piece of ritual, it is public information and freely available.

Q - Name the first point in Freemasonry.

A - Left knee bare and bent.

Q - Why is that called the first point?

A - On my bended knees I was taught to adore my Creator, on my left knee bare and bent I was initiated into Masonry.

Q - There is a chief point?

A - To be happy ourselves, and to communicate happiness to others.

Q - A principal point?

A - A point within a circle.

Q - Define that point.

A - In all regular, well-formed, constituted Lodges, there is a point within a circle round which the Brethren cannot err. This circle is bounded between North. and South by two grand parallel lines, one representing Moses and the other King Solomon. On the upper part of this circle rests the Volume of the Sacred Law, supporting Jacob's ladder, the top of which reaches to the heavens; and were we as conversant in that Holy Book, and as adherent to the doctrines therein contained, as those parallels were, it would bring us to Him who would not deceive us, neither will He suffer deception. In going round this circle, we must necessarily touch on both those parallel lines likewise on the Sacred Volume, and whilst a Mason keeps himself thus circumscribed, he cannot err.