Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-05-2011, 04:50 AM   #301
Tenyu
Dojo: Aikibodo
United_States
Re: For those who came from a Striking Art ...

Quote:
Raul Rodrigo wrote: View Post
Let's be clear: "asymptote" is Tom Read's word, not yours. You're using it because he used it.
No one can own an asymptote nor the word asymptote. Nor can one own Aikido nor the word Aikido. Tom only described natural law, he didn't actually create natural law.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:40 AM   #302
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Quote:
Tenyu Hamaki wrote: View Post
No one can own an asymptote nor the word asymptote. Nor can one own Aikido nor the word Aikido. Tom only described natural law, he didn't actually create natural law.
I didn't say he owned it. I said he used it first and you're using it because you learned it from him.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:43 AM   #303
raul rodrigo
Philippines

If one is in debt to someone, then it is only good manners to admit it. It's not as if you picked the idea up off the sidewalk or found it independently. Give credit where it's due.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:58 AM   #304
Tenyu
United_States

Quote:
If one is in debt to someone, then it is only good manners to admit it. It's not as if you picked the idea up off the sidewalk or found it independently. Give credit where it's due.
Tom didn't create the use of asymptotes in martial arts. He used the word to accurately describe the action. I've said this several times already. You can see for yourself in post #1 and #14 in the thread titled New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff listed in the Non-Aikido Martial Traditions. I suggest you read all of my posts before commenting to me again because it's bad manners to lie.

Direct quote of mine: Read Sensei taught me the theoretical principles of Aiki..

RIF
Old 03-05-2011, 06:01 AM   #305
Tenyu
United_States

Raul,

David in this very thread linked to Tom's book and quoted his descriptions of asymptotes!

I question your motives.

-Tenyu
Old 03-05-2011, 06:44 AM   #306
Marc Abrams
Dojo: Aikido Arts of Shin Budo Kai/ Bedford Hills, New York
United_States

Quote:
Raul:

You are wasting your time. The poster's actions and comments on his values, honesty, integrity,..... have been clearly highlighted on his thread about a "new" bojutsu style. Kind of like going to work and there is a slow down in front of you because people are slowing down to look at a car crash ....

Regards,

marc abrams
Old 03-05-2011, 07:11 AM   #307
raul rodrigo
Philippines

Quote:
Marc Abrams wrote: View Post
Raul:

You are wasting your time. The poster's actions and comments on his values, honesty, integrity,..... have been clearly highlighted on his thread about a "new" bojutsu style. Kind of like going to work and there is a slow down in front of you because people are slowing down to look at a car crash ....

Regards,

marc abrams
Yes, Mark, I think I will take your advice. Thanks.

best,

RAUL
Old 03-05-2011, 07:20 AM   #308
akiy

Re: New Internal Style of The Wooden Staff

Hi folks,

Please watch the tone of your posts. Thank you.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #309
Tenyu
United_States

Marc, Michael, Raul,

Please do not post again in this thread unless you have something significant to add to the discussion of Internal Aikido. Ad homs are not welcome as Jun has said many times.

thanks,
Tenyu
Old 03-05-2011, 07:22 AM   #310
Tenyu
United_States

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote: View Post
Hi folks,

Please watch the tone of your posts. Thank you.

-- Jun
Beat me to it. Thanks Jun...
Old 03-05-2011, 07:33 AM   #311
Marc Abrams
United_States

Tenyu:

1) Jun cut and pasted some posts from another thread.

2) What discussion of "internal Aikido"? Not the name of this thread.

3) I stated nothing directly at you. I was merely making a analogy to the direction of where this thread went.

4) Thank you for trying to direct me as to what I should do, or not do.

Regards,

Marc Abrams
Old 03-05-2011, 07:42 AM   #312
Tenyu
United_States

Quote:
Tenyu:
3) I stated nothing directly at you. I was merely making a analogy to the direction of where this thread went.

Regards,

Marc Abrams
You referred to me directly in post #306 of this thread.

The poor quality of your posts, both in maturity and tone, are transparent.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #313
Marc Abrams
United_States

Quote:
You referred to me directly in post #306 of this thread.

The poor quality of your posts, both in maturity and tone, are transparent.
Tenyu:

You call somebody a liar, you are now continuing in that direction towards me. I will ask that Jun take continued notice of that. Be careful what you start. In my own opinion, you started out, in over your head. You might want to change course.

marc abrams
Old 03-05-2011, 08:41 AM   #314
Tenyu
United_States

Quote:
Tenyu:

You call somebody a liar, you are now continuing in that direction towards me. I will ask that Jun take continued notice of that. Be careful what you start. In my own opinion, you started out, in over your head. You might want to change course.

marc abrams
Marc,

You don't have to admit you made a mistake. Please take your own advice though and refrain from posting further ad homs, it's a waste of time.

-Tenyu
Old 03-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #315
Gary David

United_States

Tenyu
One way to settle this and add value to your position to put your new art and skill on the line at one of the Dog Brothers gatherings here in So Cal. If your stuff works there you will gain creditability. Stick fighting, including jo length is part of what they do. Look them up....
Gary
Old 03-05-2011, 09:20 AM   #316
dps

Quote:
What examples are you referring to?
The solo kata, the jo is not touching anything except the air. The wave is generated by you from the ground is reflected back to ground through you.

Technique with uke, uke is grounded and any wave generated by you, from the ground is not reflected back to you but is returned to ground through uke.

dps

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #317
Tenyu
United_States

Quote:
Gary Welborn wrote: View Post
Tenyu
One way to settle this and add value to your position to put your new art and skill on the line at one of the Dog Brothers gatherings here in So Cal. If your stuff works there you will gain creditability. Stick fighting, including jo length is part of what they do. Look them up....
Gary
Hi Gary,

I have no desire to injure anyone, and the most martially powerful people I know likewise have no desire either. I mean this literally when I say compassion is the true source of power. I may not gain students I would've otherwise attained if I were to compete in Dog Brothers or other fighting events, but it runs counter to what I believe in. The Staff is a sacred practice for me and I'll only use it for self-defense if absolutely necessary. I have created some of the most lethal staff forms in history but I'll never show them publicly in demonstrations, video, or to undedicated students.

The beauty and life-affirming power of Internal Aikido is my primary focus.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #318
Gary David

United_States

Quote:
Hi Gary,

I have no desire to injure anyone, and the most martially powerful people I know likewise have no desire either. I mean this literally when I say compassion is the true source of power. I may not gain students I would've otherwise attained if I were to compete in Dog Brothers or other fighting events, but it runs counter to what I believe in. The Staff is a sacred practice for me and I'll only use it for self-defense if absolutely necessary. I have created some of the most lethal staff forms in history but I'll never show them publicly in demonstrations, video, or to undedicated students.

The beauty and life-affirming power of Internal Aikido is my primary focus.
So there you go...it is a path that only you can travel.......
Gary
Old 03-05-2011, 10:28 AM   #319
Tenyu
United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
The solo kata, the jo is not touching anything except the air. The wave is generated by you from the ground is reflected back to ground through you.

Technique with uke, uke is grounded and any wave generated by you, from the ground is not reflected back to you but is returned to ground through uke.

dps
David,

Striking/throwing an uke(person), in any regular practice within a dojo, is of such low frequency nage can rarely feel any activation at all. In fact I only began searching for asymptotes at strike termination in taijitsu after I learned how to activate with the staff. It would be close to impossible to find them without an understand of Internal's implicit structures beforehand which can only be achieved with weapons. It might be possible to teach it with nikkyo, without weapons experience, but it can be very dangerous for uke if done incorrectly.

To get back to your question though, some kokyu techniques end with uke being thrown into the air disconnected from both nage and the ground momentarily. Saito Junior came up first in search: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrSgu-TuNUI He's still striking to an asymptote in the air. Techniques where uke is tangent to both nage and ground, the asymptote does intersect with the ground, but again they're of such low frequency that nage would never feel the demands of a reflecting waveform. This is why so many people including shihans can get away with throwing off-balance. With the staff, any deficiency with center, balance, alignment even of a few millimeters can cause serious dissonance in high frequency asymptotic activation. Aikibodo in essence is a call for perfection, and there's no reason why it's beyond anyone's reach within their power/frequency levels.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:39 AM   #320
Tenyu
United_States

Quote:
Gary Welborn wrote: View Post
So there you go...it is a path that only you can travel.......
Gary
Unlike O Sensei, I'm willing to teach Internal Aikido in a way where anyone can begin learning it from the very first day of class. This path isn't exclusive to me nor should it be.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #321
dps

Quote:
With the staff, any deficiency with center, balance, alignment even of a few millimeters can cause serious dissonance in high frequency asymptotic activation.
What frequency are you talking about?

Quote:
Striking/throwing an uke(person), in any regular practice within a dojo, is of such low frequency nage can rarely feel any activation at all. .
Are you using the staff as a tuning fork to adjust your body's sympathetic frequency (70hz)?

dps

Last edited by dps : 03-05-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Go ahead, tread on me.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #322
Marc Abrams
United_States

Quote:
Marc,

You don't have to admit you made a mistake. Please take your own advice though and refrain from posting further ad homs, it's a waste of time.

-Tenyu
Tenyu:

Thank you for bringing up the issue of mistakes. Let's review:

1) Total martial arts training experience under a teacher: 3 years- Seido Karate under Nakamura Sensei. 2.5 years Aikibojutsu under Reid Sensei. Total of 5.5 years of training under teacher and you then are teaching a "new style."

2) Aikibodo as a new internal style of the wooden staff: You studied under Reid Sensei for 2.5 years and reached the rank of shodan (SHO referring to beginner!). Reid Sensei is the first person in martial arts to have taken certain mathematical and physic concepts and directly applied them to the understanding and teaching of his unique style of Aikido and Bojutsu. In some venues, certainly in the academic sphere, new/novel applications of current ideas do translate into proprietary ideas and concepts that have been protected, even in courts of law. After you created problems in that organization, were demoted and kicked out, you have essentially taken proprietary information, made slight adaptations and called it something new.

3) You were allowed into the instructor's training program based upon the your brother's recommendation. You are Japanese. According to Japanese tradition, your family honor was placed on the line by your brother's recommendation. You violated the conditions of your being allowed to be in that program, thereby bringing dishonor to your family's name. I do not think that I need to inform you of the traditional manner of restoring honor.

4) As a condition of entering that training program, all people acknowledge that they are not allowed to teach that information without Reid Sensei's explicit permission. You explicitly violated that policy and tried to explain it away by saying that you did not have to sign anything. What is it that they say about the value of a man's word?

5) You claim in post #56, that you are teaching Reid Sensei Bo katas. Nothing more needs to be added to that one, except to note that you complain about other people being liars.

6) You post personal stuff (pictures, etc.) that are essentially irrelevant to the thread topic and object when people respond to your posts at a personal level.

7) You recently stated "I have created some of the most lethal staff forms in history but I'll never show them publicly in demonstrations, video, or to undedicated students." Created?, Most lethal?

8) You were recently given an opportunity to "display your wares" at a "Dogs event" and declined because you did not want to injure anybody.

9) You recently said "Unlike O Sensei, I'm willing to teach Internal Aikido in a way where anyone can begin learning it from the very first day of class. This path isn't exclusive to me nor should it be. "
Exactly what do you base your comment about O'Sensei on?

I could go on and on.... I frankly have yet to make a mistake that I need to own up to on this thread. You on the other hand appear to keep digging and digging and digging in hopes of digging your way out of a widening hole that you have created for yourself.

Marc Abrams
Old 03-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #323
Tenyu
United_States

David,

Frequency refers to how many cycles the staff vibrates at strike activation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency

In Tom's book Aikido Aikibojitsu and The Structure of Natural Law page 232 he mentions an intermediate practitioner can achieve 1 or 2 cycles while an advanced practitioner may be able to achieve 4 or more.

It's impossible for me to count in person because the very act of staring at the asymptote will cause me to become uke-centric and deny correct form. If I were to guess estimating peripherally my regular high frequency activations are around 15 to 20 cycles. My attenuated activations could easily be 30 to 60 cycles. It's an unbelievable experience.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:05 PM   #324
Tenyu
United_States

Marc,

Your anger is misdirected. Please don't attempt to mimic the Mike/Dan dynamic, it's not what the forums are for.

-Tenyu
Old 03-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #325
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
David,

Frequency refers to how many cycles the staff vibrates at strike activation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequency

In Tom's book Aikido Aikibojitsu and The Structure of Natural Law page 232 he mentions an intermediate practitioner can achieve 1 or 2 cycles while an advanced practitioner may be able to achieve 4 or more.

It's impossible for me to count in person because the very act of staring at the asymptote will cause me to become uke-centric and deny correct form. If I were to guess estimating peripherally my regular high frequency activations are around 15 to 20 cycles. My attenuated activations could easily be 30 to 60 cycles. It's an unbelievable experience.
I don't know why I am commenting on this woeful thread apart to say, - How on earth do you come up with this stuff Tenyu??

Personally I have no idea/struggle immensely to understand what you are describing, but the man who wrote the book says an advanced practitioner 'may' be able to achieve 4 or more.
Then you tell us that you can achieve a number between 7 and 15 times greater than this?

I have no idea how anyone can begin to count cycles unles they are per minute, my limited understanding of what you are talking about is per second, am I correct? Distinguishing between these rates is for me impossible, maybe you are a being much further evolved than me, which is always possible I suppose.

reading your posts are a little like experiencing the world on the substances that were freely available in the sixties - bizarre

regards

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.