Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-27-2002, 09:25 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
2/27/2002 9:25am [from Jun Akiyama]

I have just received word that Gilbert James sensei, 6th dan Yoshinkan, of the Midwest Yoshinkai Aikido Association in Chicago, Illinois, has passed away. The e-mail that I received reads, "At approximately 1:30 p.m. today, Tuesday, February 26, Sensei Gilbert James passed away. Sensei James, who had been battling cancer, had dedicated the past 40 years of his life to Yoshinkan Aikido and sharing his knowledge with countless students. He has touched many of our lives beyond the art and will be missed. Sensei James requested that he be cremated and details of his memorial will be forthcoming. On behalf of the Midwest Yoshinkai Aikido Association and the James family, I want to thank the many of you who have shared kind words and wishes to Sensei James during his struggle. Please continue to think of him when you are training. By doing so, you will make him smile as he makes corrections to our techniques from a better place. -- Kevin Bradley". I wish to send my condolences to James sensei's family, friends, students, and loved ones.
Old 02-28-2002, 04:25 AM   #2
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Sensei Gilbert James

I sought out Sensei James several years ago. Both he and my head instructor started out in the same Yoshinkan class on Chicago's Southside. My sensei moved around, eventually ending up in the Ki Society, whereas Sensei James stayed in Yoshinkan.

I had certain reservations before visiting his dojo. I assumed the pre-WWII style of Yoshinkan would lend itself to more ju-jitsu type techniques. But what I found were aiki techniques being practiced. The one thing that impressed me most, was the sheer beauty of movement in Yoshinkan.

Sensei James was a perfect gentleman. After a short discussion, I discovered that the first Yoshinkan instructor left Chicago. For years, the Yoshinkan group would train among themselves, using books and films as training aids. In order to test for rank, Sensei James and others, would film their test and send it to Japan for evaluation. I can't imagine what kind of dedication it would take to practice in those conditions.

Sensei Gilbert James was one of the first people to practice Aikido in the Chicago area. His dedication to training is an example to us all.

I would like to offer my condolences to Sensei James' family, friends, loved ones and students.

Last edited by tedehara : 02-28-2002 at 04:52 AM.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 03-01-2002, 09:19 AM   #3
akiy

I just received information on James sensei's memorial service:

March 2nd

Cage Memorial Chapel
7651 S. Jeffrey
Chicago, IL 60649

Visitation, 1-2pm
Funeral, 2-3pm

Thanks to Sherman Byas for this information.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 03-01-2002, 01:48 PM   #4
Sherman Byas
Dojo: Anshindokan Dojo
donations on behalf of Gilbert James

Just recieved this info.

Donations may be made on behalf of Gilbert James Sensei to the United Negro College Fund.