Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #1
jducusin

Dojo: Open Sky Aikikai (formerly the North Winnipeg Aikikai)
Canada
Budget Accommodations near Hombu Dojo?

Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone here who has gone to Tokyo to train at Hombu might know of any decent, budget accommodations nearby (ie. in Shinjuku-ku and/or Wakamatsu-cho)?

Trying to plan a trip for this Spring/Summer and any input along these lines is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Jamie

Last edited by jducusin : 01-12-2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: typo correction

Open Sky Aikikai - http://www.winnipegaikido.com
"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 01-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
AnhXanh
Dojo: Oslo Aikido Dojo
Norway
Re: Budget Accommodations near Hombu Dojo?

Quote:
Jamie D. Ducusin wrote: View Post
Hi there,

Just wondering if anyone here who has gone to Tokyo to train at Hombu might know of any decent, budget accommodations nearby (ie. in Shinjuku-ku and/or Wakamatsu-cho)?

Trying to plan a trip for this Spring/Summer and any input along these lines is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Jamie
Here are some I have used on previous trips - all within walking distance to Hombu Dojo:

Tokyo Business Hotel (Cheapest, but you cannot access your room while they clean the hotel - which is most of the day - so I stopped using this, but I think this is definitely the cheapest. They might give you an aikikai-discount as well if you as them): http://web.travel.rakuten.co.jp/port..._e.Eng?f_no=89

Sunlite Shinjuku hotel (This is the one I have used the last few trips. Somewhat more expensive than the TBH, but you may access your room 24/7. You miss the Japanese bath though): http://www.sunlite.co.jp/index-e.htm

Listel Hotel Shinjuku (Right across the street from TBH but somewhat more expensive): http://www.listel.co.jp/english/

Hotel Tateshina. About the same price range and area as the others: http://tateshina.co.jp/eindex.htm

Other options could be so-called gaijin-houses, but unless you are visiting for a long period of time, I would suggest one of the above. If price is the primary concern, TBH should work fine and is decent enough. Don't bother with private bathroom - the Japanese style bathroom in the basement is actually one of the most positive aspects of this place. If you think you need to rest during the day, I would recommend one of the other options - and my choice has been the sunlite on the last few trips.

I hope this was useful.

Erik
Old 01-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #3
odudog
Dojo: Dale City Aikikai

Staying in the city of Tokyo is very expensive and Shinjiku is one of its major hubs, don't know if anything you can find there could ever be considered budget. Just my opinion for I am fortunate enough to have in-laws staying 10 minutes outside of the city.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:54 AM   #4
Carl Thompson

Japan

Hello Jamie,

The dollar hasn't been doing well against the yen with the recent economic trouble but in my experience Japan is relatively okay for accommodation and Tokyo is not that much different from any other major international city.

The big hotels are going to be over 10,000 yen (about 112 US/140 Canadian dollars right now) but I stayed with some friends in the Star Hotel for about 13,000 (about five years ago mind). That wasn't bad split between three people in a triple room. Looks like their prices haven't changed much.

You can get a business hotel for around 6000 - 7000 yen (67 - 78 USD). This one in the heart of Shinjuku is 6500 for a single (5% off if you reserve by internet): http://www.annexh.jp/

There are some more on google map but if price really is a problem you could look outside Shinjuku. It's easy enough to commute. Ryokans (traditional Japanese Inns) in the region seem to be around the same price although most of the ones I've seen in Shinjuku look more like business hotels anyway.

For a really tight budget there are capsule hotels for about twenty bucks: Although I have stayed in relatively comfortable capsules, the one I once used in Kabuki-cho (not too far from Aikikai Hombu) didn't have as much insulation and was a bit noisy.

On an absolute shoestring, try this: Quite a lot of young people just find a cybercafé, pay the 1000 yen or so for a "night package" and instead of spending the night surfing the net while drinking coffee, you can use the comfy armchair (they usually are comfy) to sleep.

Also, if you're desperate you could check out the Lonely Planet guide.

Hope that helps

Carl
Old 01-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
jducusin

Canada
Talking Re: Budget Accommodations near Hombu Dojo?

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information!

Actually, after doing some of my own research I was able to find a VERY economical hostel located within a minute's walk of Kuramae station (on the Oedo Line, and according to the Hombu website, the dojo is just a 5 min. walk from Wakamatsu-kawada Station(Kawada-guchi Exit) on the Oedo Line).

They have both private rooms and dormitory rooms available:
Dormitory Room(8 people)- 2,800yen
Dormitory Room (4-6 people) - 3,000yen
Twin/ Double room - 3,400yen
Family ensuite room - 13,800yen

http://kshouse.jp/tokyo-e/index.html

Yatta!

"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 01-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
jducusin

Canada

Longer-term budget accommodation info:

Also, my husband and I are only planning on staying in Japan for a couple weeks but for anyone staying in Tokyo to train at Hombu for at least a month, I found the following Guesthouses 10-20mins from Hombu (10-15mins away from Wakamatsu kawada station):

http://www.sakura-house.com/english/...ebonobashi.php
http://www.sakura-house.com/english/...onobashi_3.php

They range from around 64,000Y - 95,000Y per month for one person and a little more for two. Not bad, since it can potentially work out to 2100-3200Y/day for one person!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Cynrod
United_States

You can check on the Ibaraki Shibu dojo branch and their rates is not so bad. I think they have the best price for training and lodging.

"For The Secret That The Warrior Seeks: You Must Know That The Basic Principles Lie In The Study Of The Spirit." - Morihei Ueshiba
Old 01-14-2009, 12:48 AM   #8
AnhXanh
Dojo: Oslo Aikido Dojo
Norway

Quote:
Thanks to everyone for the helpful information!

Actually, after doing some of my own research I was able to find a VERY economical hostel located within a minute's walk of Kuramae station (on the Oedo Line, and according to the Hombu website, the dojo is just a 5 min. walk from Wakamatsu-kawada Station(Kawada-guchi Exit) on the Oedo Line).

They have both private rooms and dormitory rooms available:
Dormitory Room(8 people)- 2,800yen
Dormitory Room (4-6 people) - 3,000yen
Twin/ Double room - 3,400yen
Family ensuite room - 13,800yen

http://kshouse.jp/tokyo-e/index.html

Yatta!
Hello again,

Well, this sounds good enough, but if you are really going primarily to train, I would recommend staying closer to the dojo. If you for example want to do 3-4 classes a day you will spend quite a lot of time (and money) travelling. If you are doing the morning classes, I am sure you will appreciate the extra half hour of sleep in the morning.

Prices for the Tokyo business hotel can be as low as (according to their website):

Quadruple: 16700 -> 4175 yen per person
Twin/double: 7200 -> 3600 yen per person
Single: 3980 yen

The little extra money you wold save on living far away is really spent on the subway anyway. I guess it all depends on how much you want to train. If you just want to drop in for a class or two it doesn't really matter where you live, but if you are going every day I would recommend staying within walking distance. Anyway, I think you will not find a very much cheaper alternative than the TBH anyhow.

Have a nice trip and good luck!

Erik
Old 01-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #9
jducusin

Canada

Quote:
Rod Lansangan wrote: View Post
You can check on the Ibaraki Shibu dojo branch and their rates is not so bad. I think they have the best price for training and lodging.
Thanks for the tip - if we decide to take a side trip to Iwama, we'll definitely consider that!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:57 AM   #10
Carl Thompson

Japan

Quote:
Thanks for the tip - if we decide to take a side trip to Iwama, we'll definitely consider that!
Thank you for finding cheaper accommodation prices than the rest of us. So far I've mainly been on business trips or day trips when I've trained at the Hombu so I never had to think about the price but if I ever need to pay my own way I'll look up this thread again. Also, I'm sure you and your husband will get a warm welcome in Iwama if you take your side trip.

Carl
Old 01-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
jducusin

Canada

Quote:
Carl Thompson wrote: View Post
Thank you for finding cheaper accommodation prices than the rest of us. So far I've mainly been on business trips or day trips when I've trained at the Hombu so I never had to think about the price but if I ever need to pay my own way I'll look up this thread again. Also, I'm sure you and your husband will get a warm welcome in Iwama if you take your side trip.

Carl
Thanks, Carl! Believe me, Jon and I are extremely excited at the prospect of going to Japan to train (it's been a mutual dream of ours for some time now) so will make every effort to make a side trip to Iwama happen just for that! Right now, however, it all comes down to finances (ie. if we can afford extra time in Japan) and whether or not I can somehow "dummy-proof" our means of getting to Iwama and back from Tokyo...I can honestly say that I'm a little intimidated by the Japanese transportation system given that I know very little Kana.