Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Internal Training in Aikido

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:42 AM   #1
Dan Richards
Dojo: Latham Eclectic
United_States
Skin IS Structure Video 2

Thanks to everyone who gave me encouragement on the first rough sketch video. This is a better presentation of the idea. Not a sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybVBN2qUFFA

Skin IS Structure
Taking the BS out of IS
Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #2
Budd

Dojo: Taikyoku Budo & Kiko - NY, PA, MD
United_States
Re: Skin IS Structure Video 2

I think overall the idea represents a "piece" of the foundational components of IS. You're carrying too much tension in the shoulders when you raise your arms over your head and you break connection when you do the body lunge up - there's a very tangible disconnect between upper and lower body. Skin is a wrapper/container for the muscles, ligaments, tendons, fascia, etc. that can be conditioned over time to be more connected, stronger and better transmitters as the bridge of the "powers" of heaven and earth.

The definitions around those latter two seem to vary, so while I have my own biases on them, I'll say it's sufficient that the two "types" of power both require a connected body incorporating all the elements I mention above, which requires a level of physical work and conditioning (a lot of the aiki taiso can be repurposed - as they likely were originally intended to be - towards this pursuit) along with the requisite skill required to mentally trigger/activate/engage the connection points and manage the sum of the external forces acting outside and the internal forces within you for more practical applications.

So, I think the Skin as a drum idea is a nifty device, it's still only one instrument in the band and all of them are required to get tuned up in order to make music.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
Michael Varin
Dojo: Aikido of Fresno
United_States

Quote:
Budd Yuhasz wrote: View Post
you break connection when you do the body lunge up - there's a very tangible disconnect between upper and lower body.
What specifically are you referring to?

-Michael
"Through aiki we can feel the mind of the enemy who comes to attack and are thus able to respond immediately." - M. Mochizuki
Old 02-15-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Budd

United_States

Quote:
Michael Varin wrote: View Post
What specifically are you referring to?
@ 2:22
Old 02-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Dan Richards
Dojo: Latham Eclectic
United_States

Budd, I'm glad you spotted that. I don't ever raise my shoulders in any of the martial arts' movements I do. I was testing it out in the video, it seemed that I could do it without the skin slacking - and I was also paying attention to different things at the time. So, after experimenting a bit more with just that movement, I don't find a way to lift my shoulder at all like that.

For 1. It disconnects the shoulders. 2. It slackens the skin.

The first one I already knew, but I'm not interesting in that, because I'm not interested in all the various body parts in this. Just the skin.

So, you've actually helped me tighten this model up even more. It's good there are those who can see that far into it. The unedited typos and mistakes are proving more valuable than what I knew already worked. Thanks...
Old 02-15-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Budd

United_States

Quote:
Dan Richards wrote: View Post
Budd, I'm glad you spotted that. I don't ever raise my shoulders in any of the martial arts' movements I do. I was testing it out in the video, it seemed that I could do it without the skin slacking - and I was also paying attention to different things at the time. So, after experimenting a bit more with just that movement, I don't find a way to lift my shoulder at all like that.

For 1. It disconnects the shoulders. 2. It slackens the skin.

The first one I already knew, but I'm not interesting in that, because I'm not interested in all the various body parts in this. Just the skin.

So, you've actually helped me tighten this model up even more. It's good there are those who can see that far into it. The unedited typos and mistakes are proving more valuable than what I knew already worked. Thanks...
Cool - It's good that you're into sharing what you're working on and it is helpful to see in terms of how it relates to your words. Please don't mind my short posting style as I'm often doing "hit" and "runs" in the midst of other stuff. Carry on!