Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
felipe_3
Dojo: Kynsei Ryu
Ecuador
hakama use

Hello, I`m new in the aikido world, I`m trying to be 5to kyu, I asking me if I can use the hakama, my sensei said me that I can since 5to kyu, what do u think about it?
Old 02-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #2
David Maidment
United Nations
Re: hakama use

Lots of pros, lots of cons.

For me, the biggest pro is getting it out of your system.

I wear a hakama in Iaido and, yes, occasionally around the house. In my Aikido dojo, as a mere yonkyu I don't get to wear one.

It used to be the case that the hakama seemed like a big deal to me. Something elite to strive for. Now I see that it's no big deal.

Personally, I am one of the believers in the 'everyone should wear a hakama' philosophy, but having worn one for other arts, I'm no longer awed by the garment; I'd be happy to train in a simple gi forever, if my dojo required so.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:16 PM   #3
felipe_3
Ecuador

mmmmm... I think the same about u
Old 02-15-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
felipe_3
Ecuador

I has read in some places in internet, that the real mean of the hakama is the respect that ueshiba sensei all the time inculcated to his students, I think that the hakama has nothing to do with the range that we have, is the respect toward the aikido
Old 02-16-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
lbb
United_States

What do other 5th kyu do at your dojo? Do they wear hakama or not?
Old 02-16-2010, 07:36 AM   #6
felipe_3
Ecuador

mmmm well, when I arrivee to my dojo the last aikido students, they are not there, they has gone
Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 AM   #7
dragonsun5

In the club I am studying in in Japan, the girls wear the hakama after about 3 months of training and the guys don't wear it until they reach the 1st dan. I was really excited to be told that I could wear it when I hit that 3 month marker but then I continued to trip over it and the piece in the back hurts my back when I do ukemi. I am a klutz in general so adding to my klutziness is not a good idea I think.

Yea I am not awed by it so much anymore also. For me, I kind of want to go back to not wearing it until I am more proficient at the techniques and it doesn't become more of hindrance to my well being when I try to stand up and walk.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
john.burn

Dojo: Chishin Dojo
United Kingdom

Hi Alex,

Try one of the Bujin Design ones as they have an option for an Aiki Koshita which should stop you from catching your back!

I've always used Bujin hakama and have never caught my back.

Best Regards,
John

www.chishindojo.co.uk
Old 02-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
ramenboy
Dojo: midwest aikido center

Quote:
Felipe Gomez wrote: View Post
Hello, I`m new in the aikido world, I`m trying to be 5to kyu, I asking me if I can use the hakama, my sensei said me that I can since 5to kyu, what do u think about it?
i would do whatever sensei tells you...

practice hard
Old 02-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
delliott

Dojo: Aikido of Marshall
United_States

I'm going for my 5th kyu also and I ordered a hakama from Bujin Design. I asked my Sensei and he said that he doesn't ask his students to purchase one right away because they are expensive and wants to make sure that student is around for a while. This makes sense.

From what I've read, O'Sensei wanted his students to wear a hakama from the first time they got on the mat.

So, I would ask your Sensei and if he/she says yes, then the rest should be up to you....

Peace....

"Life is growth. If we stop growing, technically and spiritually, we are as good as dead. "

O-Sensei
Old 02-16-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
ninjaqutie

Dojo: Searching for a new home
United_States

If you are interested and are allowed, then wear one. I have no interest in wearing one until I am forced. I see it as more of a burden then anything else.

~Look into the eyes of your opponent & steal his spirit.
~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #12
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Quote:
Ashley Carter wrote: View Post
If you are interested and are allowed, then wear one. I have no interest in wearing one until I am forced. I see it as more of a burden then anything else.
I own a traditional Scottish kilt that I have worn around on cold winters here in the middle of nowhere of Hungary! LOL! [Seriously]

Thought about wearing it awhile back on St. Patricks day for fun!
[Wouldnt want to get my kilt messy, as our mats arent the cleanest.]

But I like the ideas of having a hakama for style!

- dAlen

p.s.
Im weird like that though, have walked in the middle of Whole Foods stateside with a crystal on my head just for the heck of it... kind of fit in with the bohemian / Rasta who worked there. [no wonder I freak most Hungarian locals out] lol!

Last edited by dalen7 : 02-16-2010 at 01:19 PM.

dAlen [day•lynn]
dum spiro spero - {While I have breathe - I have hope}

Art
http://www.lightofinfinity.org

Philosophical
http://dalen7.wordpress.com
Old 02-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
felipe_3
Ecuador

Quote:
Jerome Cervantes wrote: View Post
i would do whatever sensei tells you...
Yes, in 5to kyu I can use it, I too read the article that you wrote about O`sensei and I`m agree with this article it based in the respect.

The hakama is expensive yeah, but really I do wahtever to get one is a honor wear a hakana, don`t believe you?
Old 02-16-2010, 04:42 PM   #14
lbb
United_States

Hello Felipe,

The meaning depends on the dojo. At some dojos it's considered an honor, at others it's just what everyone does. At some dojos, everyone starts wearing the hakama at a certain rank, at others they wear it after Sensei tells them to. At some dojos, Sensei says, "You may wear a hakama," at others Sensei says, "You should wear a hakama." I don't think any of us can tell you what wearing a hakama means at your dojo.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:36 PM   #15
felipe_3
Ecuador

yeah man, thanks a great truth
Old 02-17-2010, 10:49 AM   #16
ninjaqutie

United_States

Quote:
Dalen Johnson wrote: View Post
I own a traditional Scottish kilt
You have a kilt!?! I was very saddened because when I went to Ireland for my honeymoon I expected to see someone wearing a kilt (even if it was a kid) and no kilt in sight! You should have a photo of you in your kilt as your profile pic!

~To be a good martial artist is to be good thief; if you want my knowledge, you must take it from me.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:44 AM   #17
dragonsun5

So here is a question about wearing the hakama: does it hurt anyone else in the lower back region during training? Mine constantly hits me in one area on my left side when I do ukemi and today I asked my senpai if I could just take it off and train without it. I won't be able to do that for every practice but today it felt much better without it and i was able to do ukemi without any jolting pain like I get from wearing the hakama. It's the piece in the back that drives me crazy.

What do you think? I am trying to adjust it so it doesn't hit that spot it but it still hurts.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:48 AM   #18
bob_stra
Australia

Quote:
You have a kilt!?! I was very saddened because when I went to Ireland for my honeymoon I expected to see someone wearing a kilt !

Old 02-18-2010, 05:03 AM   #19
Peter Goldsbury

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan

Quote:
Alex Melillo wrote: View Post
So here is a question about wearing the hakama: does it hurt anyone else in the lower back region during training? Mine constantly hits me in one area on my left side when I do ukemi and today I asked my senpai if I could just take it off and train without it. I won't be able to do that for every practice but today it felt much better without it and i was able to do ukemi without any jolting pain like I get from wearing the hakama. It's the piece in the back that drives me crazy.

What do you think? I am trying to adjust it so it doesn't hit that spot it but it still hurts.
Hello Alex,

A question related to the other thread about your forthcoming gasshuku. Are you wearing a hakama because you are a yudansha, or because the university where you train allows kyu grade students to wear it?

I myself wear an Iwata hakama with a thick wrap-round obi and have no pain at all in the lower back when taking ukemi.

Best wishes,

PAG

EDIT: I see the answer in post #7. However, I am curious about the reason.

Last edited by Peter Goldsbury : 02-18-2010 at 05:05 AM.

P A Goldsbury
Old 02-18-2010, 07:08 AM   #20
Garth Jones
Dojo: Allegheny Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Alex Melillo wrote: View Post

BuJin Design sells what they call the 'aiki' hakama which does not have the hard koshita in the back. My wife had the same problem some years ago, switched, and has been very happy with her hakama ever since. Check around your dojo and see if somebody has one so you can try it out.

Cheers,
Garth
Old 02-18-2010, 08:34 AM   #21
Steven

Dojo: Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento - Seikeikan Dojo
United_States

Ebogu.com also puts out an Aikido hakama with a soft koshita. I own one of these as well and have recommended it to my students mainly because of the cost. Not as nearly as expernsive. I also like the fit. I recommend getting the extended himo (straps) I much prefer tieing everything in the front.

My two cents, USD. Not worth anything I know. :-)

http://www.e-bogu.com/Top_Quality_AI...-black-all.htm
Old 02-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #22
Pat Togher
United_States

Quote:
You have a kilt!?! I was very saddened because when I went to Ireland for my honeymoon I expected to see someone wearing a kilt (even if it was a kid) and no kilt in sight!
LOL.
I guess you should have gone to Scotland! Kilts are not traditional dress in Ireland.

Pat
Old 02-19-2010, 02:16 PM   #23
ninjaqutie

United_States

Quote:
Pat Togher wrote: View Post
LOL.
I guess you should have gone to Scotland! Kilts are not traditional dress in Ireland.

Pat
Some schools wear them I believe. I read about it in my Ireland tour book thingy majig I had. I know they aren't as common there though. Beautiful country though... but cold!

Old 02-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #24
ninjaqutie

United_States

Quote:
Bob Strahinjevich wrote: View Post

Hehe.....

Old 02-19-2010, 03:50 PM   #25
Daniel Blanco
Dojo: Suffolk Aikikai

I think that wearing a Hakama should be earned, as a Dan rank, its something you strive for during training.