Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-11-2003, 02:00 PM   #1
IceLandElf
Dojo: Avalon Arts Center, Fair Oaks CA
Cool Dynamic Sphear

hi guys. Ok im testing for my blue belt very soon here, and I refer to my book "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphear" for showing me what moves look like, and the names for the moves. I left my book at my house and im very far away from there, but need to practice!!!

IS THERE A ONLINE REFRENCE THAT CAN HELP?
Old 03-11-2003, 02:18 PM   #2
shihonage
United_States
http://www.aikido-world.com/highligh.../technical.htm
Old 03-11-2003, 02:25 PM   #3
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England
I hope that Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere relates to your school, because there are many differences between schools, although they are all practicing Aikido.

Personally I don't like the book so much, even though I know many think highly of it.

Osu!
Old 03-11-2003, 04:46 PM   #4
erikmenzel
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Koshinkai Leeuwarden
Netherlands
There are two things special about Aikido and the dynamic sphere. In the first place the book offers the highly schematic outlook as Abe Sensei used. In the second place it originates from a time where conflict and politics hadnot ruined the aikidoworld as widely as nowerdays.

Noting these two things one can easily understand why it on the one hand is considered a good book by many aikidoka, just because it does not cover politics, on the other hand one can also understand why some dont like it. To them it offers an outlook on aikido from before conflict and technical differentiation.

Others just dont like the colour green

Erik Jurrien Menzel
kokoro o makuru taisanmen ni hirake
Personal:www.kuipers-menzel.com
Old 03-11-2003, 06:10 PM   #5
pacomx70
Dojo: CEDAM
I personally love the book, we just got the spanish edition of it, and almost all principals are related with the style of aikido we practice.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:31 PM   #6
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Quote:
Erik Jurrien Knoops (erikknoops) wrote:
To them it offers an outlook on aikido from before conflict and technical differentiation.
Gee Erik - the books not that old. Besides my main problem with the book is not about technique, politics or colour.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-12-2003, 06:59 AM   #7
ross_l
Dojo: Genyokan
I really like Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere. I particularly enjoy Oscar Ratti's illustrations of the techniques. You get a better sense of flow than with pictures. Even though I train in another style, it's easy to see that the techniques are not really all that dissimilar. Many of the differences are semantic.

I mainly read it for the beautiful illustrations and explanations of the general principles behind techniques.

Here's a link I posted a little while ago that has AVIs for many techniques that you may find helpful.

http://www.ysaohio.com/kyutest.htm

You may also want to check the local library to see if they have a copy of Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:14 AM   #8
erikmenzel

Netherlands
Quote:
Peter Rehse (PeterR) wrote:
Gee Erik - the books not that old. Besides my main problem with the book is not about technique, politics or colour.
Well realizing the first edition is from 1970, this means in reality that the book was written approx 35 years ago. Many styles and federations are simply not that old, hence the conflicts and problems associated with them cannot be that old.

I myself also have some restrictions towards the book, but those are again based on the age of the book (and thus the aera in which it was written). It simply isnt the complete manual people claim it is and I sometimes think that for some people the simple existence of the book forms a constraint on their posiible growth.

Erik Jurrien Menzel
Old 03-12-2003, 12:06 PM   #9
Gene McGloin
Dojo: Bond St. Dojo
Does anybody else here think it's a bit odd that Robert is relying on a book (doesn't matter which one)to train him for an aikido kyu test?

Regards,

Gene McGloin
Old 03-12-2003, 01:18 PM   #10
erikmenzel

Netherlands
I stopped long ago thinking things in aikido were odd

Seems like everything goes

Erik Jurrien Menzel
Old 03-12-2003, 06:15 PM   #11
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan
Salut Erik;

True but by then we already had Yoshinkan, Yoseikan, and Shodokan.

The highest ranking non-Japanese currently living and training in Japan under the Shodokan umbrella has a near viceral reaction to any mention of the book. He came to Japan over 25 years ago and as he puts it "a true believer with the bible under his arm". Techniques are just techniques, pictures are just pictures, colour is just colour. What he found out (I fortunately read the book after I had arrived and studied in Japan) is that there is much in that book that has no relation at all to the Aikido of his (or my) teachers. I've come to understand that it just isn't my teachers either.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 03-13-2003, 08:01 AM   #12
jk
OK, confession time folks...how many of you have the book, but only managed to look at the purdy pictures? I tried to read it, but when I hit chapter V, "The Theory of Defense," my eyes started rolling to the back of my head...after I regained consciousness, I put the book away, turned on the TV and watched "Fight School" instead...
Old 03-13-2003, 08:24 AM   #13
jk
Hmm...I was shooting from the hip in the previous post. For those of you with specific reservations about the book, I wouldn't mind hearing about them...all in the spirit of constructive criticism of course.

Regards,
Old 03-13-2003, 09:32 AM   #14
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
I actually read it. Although I skimmed over the parts where they went into detailed descriptions of the techniques. We do our techniqes a little differently so the descriptions didn't really apply. Overall I thought it had good information in it...kinda like a math textbook which is what it read like

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 03-13-2003, 11:01 AM   #15
Dirty Dogi
I admit the book seems to go a bit over my head in some parts. I get to the point where I am jsut reading words but not really grasping what I have read at all. I enjoy reading it though, not as some handbook for all things aikido, but just as another perspective.

Check out my personal Aikido Journal.
http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/journal.php?
Old 03-17-2003, 09:10 AM   #16
SmilingNage
United_States
I used to take my Aikido and the dynamic sphere on plane trips. Its all good. I think you can pick up something from most books you read. Its good to have exposure to ideas and techniques outside of what you are being taught. Makes you grow.

Dont make me, make you, grab my wrist.