Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 12-21-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
Steve Pilling
Dojo: Aikido Iaido Club
United Kingdom
Aikido DVDs available in Europe?

I have just started to train in Aikido and have a couple of weeks out over Christmas. I would really like to get a good DVD series to let me learn and train a bit if possible at home alone on the basic techniques. Looking in European versions of Amazon it looks like there are really no good DVDs explaining Aikido techniques. The only ones they have get terrible reviews. I did a search on this site for previous threads about DVDs (including the reviews) but only find DVDs from the US and Canada (which area bit of a pain to order and may not even work here)

So does anyone know of any good DVDs focusing on techniques that can be obtained here in Europe. I have only been introduced to Ikkyo, Nikkyo and Kotaegeshi so far so there is definitely a lot to learn and I am not getting any younger!

Any suggestions are welcome. And Happy Christmas Everyone
Old 12-21-2010, 07:16 AM   #2
Dazzler
Dojo: Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England
Re: Aikido DVDs available in Europe?

Hi Steve

Youtube would be my recommendation.

A lot cheaper.

There is a lot of stuff out there of course if you are desperate for DVDs...I'd expect most people to recommend their own instructor so to be different I'd say the DVDs of Saito Sensei are a pretty good reference for any group that uses weapons.

Techniques may vary considerably between organisations - who is the technical leader for your group? Maybe ask them?

D
Old 12-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
grondahl
Dojo: Stockholms Aikidoklubb
Sweden

Aikidojournal.com and Budovideos ship to Europe as well. Also Aikidostore.com has a good selection of dvds. I personally like Hoa Newens dvds.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:09 AM   #4
Nicholas Eschenbruch
Dojo: TV Denzlingen
Germany

Don't get DVDs on techniques unless they are from somebody of your style/ tradition.

If you want to get DVDs on principles, I recommend the ones by George Ledyard.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

See British Birankai Web page for contact regarding dvds.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #6
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Personally Steve, I would recommend holding off on the DVD's for a while. At least until you have a solid grounding in the style of your teacher. Then I would ask him if he has any recommendations.

I am trying to imagine what it would be like if I was teaching a beginner and they were perhaps doing something that I knew was from a different style and then finding out that they had 'learnt' it from a DVD. My question might be, "then why come to me?"

Enloy what your club and your teacher has to offer, plenty of time later on, to explore all the relative differences in the world of aikido.

Rome wasn't built over the Xmas holidays

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:23 AM   #7
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

There are a lot of DVDs which are not found on amazon but are published dircetly by teachers.
Ask Laurent about his teachers and your line of tradition.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:26 AM   #8
Steve Pilling
Dojo: Aikido Iaido Club
United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies. I did not know that there was so much difference between different styles. Of course a DVD can never replace a real instructor and I would never want to suggest this but my instructor has encouraged us to look at different techniques and I think that he would prefer that we learn as much as possible. I am only a beginner and the difference between the different styles at the moment are like learning German and worrying about whether I am learning from someone with a Schwabian or Bavarian accent. I need to concentrate on learning the basic techniques as well as I can. I think I can learn something from a DVD that will accelerate the learning process in the dojo. Don´t forget I am still at the "which hand am I supposed to be using stage?".

Of course Rome wasn´t built in a day but coming to Aikido as a 44 year old I can say that I don´t have the same relaxed attitude as I would coming in at age 24.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:24 AM   #9
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Steve Pilling wrote: View Post
Of course Rome wasn´t built in a day but coming to Aikido as a 44 year old I can say that I don´t have the same relaxed attitude as I would coming in at age 24.
Hi Steve, why not? you potentially could have 30+ years of aikido ahead of you, a 24 year old might not have the the same level of commitment and could face all sorts of pulls from different directions eg. family career etc. which might get in the way of commited practice. One of the best old guys I practice with, didin't start until he was well into his 40's, he is now in his late 70's and is a joy to work with.

Relax, enjoy the journey and good luck figuring out which hand goes where

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:25 AM   #10
Carsten Möllering

Dojo: Hildesheimer Aikido Verein
Germany

Quote:
Steve Pilling wrote: View Post
I need to concentrate on learning the basic techniques as well as I can. I think I can learn something from a DVD that will accelerate the learning process in the dojo. Don´t forget I am still at the "which hand am I supposed to be using stage?".
That exactly is the reason to watch out for a DVD showing the basics of the style of aikido you practice, or better Laurent teaches to you.

"Which hand?" or even more "which foot?" differs from style to style.
Old 01-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
Nicholas Eschenbruch wrote: View Post
Don't get DVDs on techniques unless they are from somebody of your style/ tradition.

If you want to get DVDs on principles, I recommend the ones by George Ledyard.
Thanks Nicholas. I do think the approach I have taken to my own videos is quite different than that taken elsewhere. I teach body centered, principle based exercises and waza with lots of very detailed information. They are definitely "How To". Most of the videos I own seem to be more great Senseis showing what they do with little or no explanation. The best of them are thematically well organized and someone with experience can get a lot out of them but they really can't say they are "How To". Very few DVDs I have seen fill that bill.

Interested parties can find my dvds at:
AikidoDvds.Com

These are all region DVDs and I have sold them world wide with no problems.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com