Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Non-Aikido Martial Traditions > Events Listings: Non-Aikido Martial Traditions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #26
DH
United_States
Re: Dan Harden in London - Oct 22-23, 2011

Quote:
Rich Hobbs wrote: View Post
It was a fantastic weekend indeed; the Friday was great in the park with one highlight being when, it having been dark for some time, we decided to pack up and whilst Dan collected his belongings from the pile of coats/bags/etc and a small group of us were stood around him we had a police van and spotlight asking us what was going on. I'm assuming they turned up to protect the poor little american guy from getting beaten up by the english thugs...

Enjoyed the training immensely, having spent a reasonable chunk of my spare time putting effort in to the solo work does lend yourself to some self doubt when there's no immediate feedback and I don't think I was alone in fearing Dan looking at me and asking "What have you been doing these last months?!". Instead it was gratifying to find that getting back in to more partner exercises and getting some direction and feedback it was clear that progress was being made; not "there" by any means but at least it means that the first step has been in the right direction.

One of the great things about Dan is that he's likeable, fun, interesting guy and he keeps the mood light and enjoyable but he won't hesitate to point out where you're wrong and whilst he doesn't mince words he's quick and precise in offering constructive feedback. I know I suck, I only object to being told it though when someone hasn't got something constructive to accompany the criticism; Dan falls firmly in to the category of people who have valuable criticism, teaching and direction to offer.

On the non-training front there was a great social atmosphere with some good eating and some good drinking; I'm looking forward to another meet up in the spring of next year and hoping to see and feel the same, if not more, growth in myself as well as the others as I felt this time when compared to May.

Cheers
Rich
Hi Bud
You guy's may be monitoring your own progress and that's of course a natural thing to do, but do you know how great it is ...for me...to see and feel you guys making progress? That connection you feel from me, eye to eye? That's not B.S. I really do care and try to pour myself into people who will work with me. So while you are thinking of all the hours you put in, think of all the hours I put in as well, planning ahead, seeing what works for different people, checking everyone out, watching for errors and hoping for the best. It's one of the rewards I get to experience; meeting people who really do care, are thinking their way through, and putting in the time.

Now imagine what it feels like on my third trip and for some people it's repeating the first seminar over again!

The good news is that Ellis was right, that in this process I would meet so many interesting, intelligent and sincere people in Budo. I have never been more delighted to have been so wrong (about budo people in general) in my life.
Keep working it...spring is coming.
Thank you again
Dan

Last edited by DH : 10-26-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:03 PM   #27
AlexF
Dojo: NA
United Kingdom

Hi guys
Wanted to thank Dan for another fantastic seminar. I can't really add anything new to what's already been posted but wholeheartedly agree. What I can add is that his energy is astounding and it's geared towards giving every single person who attended as much hands on help & information to take away & improve themselves as possible. I bet not one person left thinking the weekend was just ok. I for one had so many lightbulb moments I felt like a lighthouse.
Nothing is hidden or mystified, if you have a question/theory, it's merits are looked at (or felt) & then proved correct or disproved so everyone learns together. My only regret is not being able to learn from Dan more often, maybe even get to the point where I've heard his stories all before.
Actually I feel very lucky to be part of a group working, learning & growing together. There were no egos & it was clear that if Dan could train hard & have a laugh at the same time, so should we.
Can't wait for his next vist, so Dan, once again thanks for your continued efforts to help out, enjoy your travels. Take care.
Alex
Old 10-26-2011, 03:17 PM   #28
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Dan Harden wrote: View Post
Hi Bud
You guy's may be monitoring your own progress and that's of course a natural thing to do, but do you know how great it is ...for me...to see and feel you guys making progress? That connection you feel from me, eye to eye? That's not B.S. I really do care and try to pour myself into people who will work with me. So while you are thinking of all the hours you put in, think of all the hours I put in as well, planning ahead, seeing what works for different people, checking everyone out, watching for errors and hoping for the best. It's one of the rewards I get to experience; meeting people who really do care, are thinking their way through, and putting in the time.

Now imagine what it feels like on my third trip and for some people it's repeating the first seminar over again!

The good news is that Ellis was right, that in this process I would meet so many interesting, intelligent and sincere people in Budo. I have never been more delighted to have been so wrong (about budo people in general) in my life.
Keep working it...spring is coming.
Thank you again
Dan
Hi Dan,

thanks for your time and teaching last weekend, it was a good one wasn't it? For those of us who were there from the 1st seminar, it was great to revisit some of the material presented. And from what I could see all the new folk were totally into what you were doing too.

It was really edifying to practice with different people from both Chinese and Japanese MA backgrounds. All focussing on the same skillset, to enhance their own abilities in their chosen art.

For me the biggest lightbulb moment was realising that it is the solo work that is so important to make real progress in the material that you teach. Aikido has always been a partnered based practice for me. I am perfectly content with my own progress in aikido so far, I've been lucky to have an exceptionally good teacher. However, I now recognise, that by incorporating what I have been gaining from your work, I have the building blocks to step up to a new level. I've always been inspired by the thought of just how far can one go?

Apart from the technical benefits, your seminars are a great social occasion for like minds to train and to have alot of fun at the same time.

Keep up the good work,

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #29
graham christian
Dojo: golden center aikido-highgate
England

Quote:
Mark Freeman wrote: View Post
Hi Dan,

thanks for your time and teaching last weekend, it was a good one wasn't it? For those of us who were there from the 1st seminar, it was great to revisit some of the material presented. And from what I could see all the new folk were totally into what you were doing too.

It was really edifying to practice with different people from both Chinese and Japanese MA backgrounds. All focussing on the same skillset, to enhance their own abilities in their chosen art.

For me the biggest lightbulb moment was realising that it is the solo work that is so important to make real progress in the material that you teach. Aikido has always been a partnered based practice for me. I am perfectly content with my own progress in aikido so far, I've been lucky to have an exceptionally good teacher. However, I now recognise, that by incorporating what I have been gaining from your work, I have the building blocks to step up to a new level. I've always been inspired by the thought of just how far can one go?

Apart from the technical benefits, your seminars are a great social occasion for like minds to train and to have alot of fun at the same time.

Keep up the good work,

regards,

Mark
Ahh. A report from a man I respect, albeit in the digital world. Very nice, glad you benefitted. I'm impressed.

Regards G.