Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-22-2005, 02:22 PM   #51
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States
Re: That it works, don't make it good.

Here's the thing however (for me)...

At a technical level, tactical architectures aimed at falling, pinning, throwing, etc., aimed at disturbing or deconstructing a person's Base of Support, are dependent upon the physical and mathematical sciences. This means that there is an objective perspective that is quite accessible to anyone that takes the time to study these sciences. While self-honesty is important in one's training, it is not like we are really dealing here with the kind of delusion that only satori can penetrate. The kind of lack of insight we are discussing comes really only from a refusal to engage in the study of these sciences as they apply to what we do as aikidoka.

This means, rather than waiting for us to get self-honest, or rather than looking for environments where our own assumptions come to the surface (so that we can be more self-honest), all we really need to do is learn what kind of energy and/or geometry leads toward
"this" type of kuzushi or "this" type of fall or "this" type of topsy-turvy effect, etc. Armed with such scientific objectivity, we are able to fully distinguish what works from what "worked." Armed with such scientific objectivity, we are able to note when a drill has unknowingly and improperly come to dominate our tactical architectures. Armed with such scientific objectivity, we are able to distinguish what is relating properly to reality and what is only relevant to a training culture. Armed with such scientific objectivity, we are able to note when we as Uke are more like a dressage mount (i.e. a horse responding to cues or signals) than we are like a budoka.

The application of theoretical reflection is nothing more than the study and practice of the physical sciences. By such an application, issues of self-honesty may arise. However, to wait for self-honesty to arise before we apply such sciences to our practice is, for me, like trying to put the cart before the horse; or at least it can be considered an unnecessary step - one not needed to apply the relevant sciences to our practice.

Here's one: If you do Kote-gaeshi and you do not pass the bottom apex of the circle as Nage, such that your hands and fingers are only sideways (parallel to the ground) or worse still pointing upward, and if your Uke still goes over topsy-turvy, scientifically you know that that effect was only generated because Uke took themselves over the top apex on the circle. One doesn't need any more self-honesty in regards to realizing this solution than to realize that two plus two is four. Rather, what one needs most of all, I would suggest, is courage. What one requires is the kind of courage that allows one to (first) look, to (second) see, and to (third) go on to act properly according to what one has seen.

David M. Valadez
Visit our web site for articles and videos. Senshin Center - A Place for Traditional Martial Arts in Santa Barbara.
Old 06-22-2005, 02:29 PM   #52
Mike Sigman
United_States
Re: That it works, don't make it good.

Quote:
Glen Dolphin wrote:
I'm with you there Mike. in my opinion a true master should hide his skills right to the very last then unleash hell, that stance would have had me laughing in his face.
I was just surprised he didn't start pigeon-cooing, a la Bruce Lee. You could see he had no real sparring or fighting experience. Next!

Mike