Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > AikiWeb System

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-23-2003, 12:01 AM   #1
AikiWeb System
AikiWeb Poll for the week of March 23, 2003:

Do you think aikido would be a "better" art if it included more attacks and techniques?
  • I don't do aikido
  • Yes
  • No
Here are the current results.
Old 03-23-2003, 04:49 AM   #2
siwilson
Dojo: Kenshinkai Yoshinkan Aikido
England
I have not voted as I don't feel there is really an answer. Aikido is a martial art not limited by this attack or that technique, so it cannot have more. Aikido is defined by it's principles.

It could be said that various schools could be better if they open themselves to the whole scope of martial training and not just a small range of attacks and techniques.

Osu!
Old 03-27-2003, 03:12 AM   #3
Mr. P

Dojo: BMS Aïkido
More techniques or attacks would make Aïkido become another art ; it wouldn't be Aïkido anymore ...

Meanwhile, I think we should introduce more complete attack notions. Indeed, when a beginner attacks me, I don't realize whether my techniques "works" (or not).

I met an aïkidoist who had begun its travel by practicing karatedo. His attacks were really realistic ! He showed me new kinds of atemis, etc. ...
For example, he could hit nine times his uke during a 'chudan tsuki ikkyo ura' !!

Actually, I think it would more help our techniques "look real" than make us be punchers.

Just a thought ...

Mr. P

Never pay attention to someone using smileys...
Old 03-27-2003, 06:51 AM   #4
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
more attacks, to me means that aikido is losing its core. It's not aikido anymore, it will change aikido from martial art into a mere fighting art. I remember my sempai told me, in Aikido, we don't hit the opponent, but instead letting the earth hit him. maybe some will say that aikido effectiveness relies on atemi. This is absolutely right, of course, but please remember that atemi's goal is to distract your opponent's mind, not to damage or smash him.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:23 AM   #5
MikeE

Dojo: Midwest Center For Movement & Aikido Bukou Dojos
There are an infinite number of techniques already in Aikido. Takemusu Aiki springs forth each time you do a technique on a different person. That is the flexibility of Aikido. It's not how you finish the technique (their all pretty standard--for the most part i.e. ikkyo, nikyo, sankyo, kotegaeshi, etc.) it's how you get to the special place that allows you perform these that can differ greatly based on mindset, attitude, training, Sensei, Sensei's sensei, etc.

I think it is good to delve into non-traditional attacks so you can blend, flow and move to a safe place where you can apply an "Aikido Finish".

Mike Ellefson
Midwest Center
For Movement &
Aikido Bukou
Dojos
Old 03-28-2003, 09:27 AM   #6
DGLinden
Dojo: Shoshin Aikido Dojos
When O'Sensei began teaching his new art he offered it to masters of other martial arts - men who were successful and strong in their own ways. Aikido was a way to mitigate the violence of these arts; to allow a more humane and modern appraoch. I don't believe that he ever really expected it to be taught as a complete art in and of itself.

He said that " to protect and defend all life is both our mission and our prayer - and we call our path take musu aiki". Without the ability to launch a successful attack - which most aikidoka can't - we have a difficult time defending.

I truly believe that suplimental training in some form of aggessive, percussive art is necesssary just to be able to train in aikido well. Saotome Sensei has long emphasized the striking arts in his advanced training. It remains for the 'everyday senseis' to foster and promote mastership in all ways.

Great subject Jun.

Daniel G. Linden
Author of ON MASTERING AIKIDO (c) 2004
Founder Shoshin Aikido Dojos
www.shoshindojo.com
Old 03-28-2003, 10:20 AM   #7
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
I think it is true that many aikidoka can't strike well, but the same applies to many karateka as well. I think alot of martial arts do not train with 'sincere' attacks. I wouldn't say just learning another martial art will remedy this situation. We need to make sure that attacks are fast and powerful in aikido. If they are not, they need to be remedied.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---
Old 03-29-2003, 07:28 PM   #8
scarry one
Dojo: yes
I am confused (very common now days) I counted the post and out of the 7 only 1 seems to really be against new attacks. (Far different than the poll results). Our Dojo has begun to train in these less traditonal attacks and what a uproar! I have heard the same protest, that we are no longer doing Aikido. That I do not come here to kill or mame. Or my personal favorite, that is not how so and so did it. I do not want my Aikido to become gutter fighting either, but, I am not taking dance class. I read the training with weapons article on this home page and feel that this same issue is addressed. I do not want to invest time in a system that only works in a controlled environment. Yes I think more and different attacks will improve my Aikido. As far as more tecniques, let me know when you have a comlpete list of them...