Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-17-2006, 10:36 AM   #1
Dajo251
Dojo: Aikido Downtown
United_States
does anyone elses....

significant other find aikido to be boring, My girl friend has come to a couple of classes and she tends to be bored out of her mind durning them.

Dan Hulley
Old 02-17-2006, 10:49 AM   #2
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States
Re: does anyone elses....

My wife thinks it's pretty darn cool.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 02-17-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Aikido cost me a marriage, but it was the right thing. (Aikido, not the marriage).
Old 02-17-2006, 11:02 AM   #4
James Davis

Dojo: Ft. Myers School of Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Mark Uttech wrote:
Aikido cost me a marriage, but it was the right thing. (Aikido, not the marriage).
Sorry, dude.

"The only difference between Congress and drunken sailors is that drunken sailors spend their own money." -Tom Feeney, representative from Florida
Old 02-17-2006, 11:12 AM   #5
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

does she just watch or paticipate... if she really is not into it see if she and you can find her a hobby that balances your aikido time and possibly another hobby you can both share...

Edwin Neal

Old 02-17-2006, 11:18 AM   #6
justinmaceachern
Dojo: St. george
Canary Islands

Yah see i am ranked curently at 4th kyu, My girlfreind is ranked 5th going for 6th. so i can say that my significant other just loves it. One time me and her were doing randori on my front lawn and these two guys drove by in a jeep and carved over and hopped out of the jeep screeming at me. I couldnt understand. then i realized that i was performing Irimi nage to her just as they drove by. they thought I was hurting her. we had to explain to them that we wre in aikido and that she was of higher rank then me.

Just thought you guys would like some friday humor
Old 02-17-2006, 11:25 AM   #7
justinmaceachern
Dojo: St. george
Canary Islands

Sorry i screwed up i am a 3rd kyu and she is a 2nd kyu going for 1st
Old 02-17-2006, 12:04 PM   #8
Dajo251
United_States

Quote:
Edwin Neal wrote:
does she just watch or paticipate... if she really is not into it see if she and you can find her a hobby that balances your aikido time and possibly another hobby you can both share...
shes not into it at all, she has only tagged along when she had nothing better to do, Ive asked her if she wanted to try a class, and she is not intrested at all....we do plenty of other stuff together so its no big deal

Dan Hulley
Old 02-17-2006, 12:12 PM   #9
Goye

Dojo: Satori Dojo
Colombia

give her a koshinage.

César Martínez
Satori Dojo
Old 02-17-2006, 12:15 PM   #10
ESimmons
United_States

My girlfriend seems to appreciate aikido. She has enjoyed tagging along in the past and is especially impressed with Sensei. *sigh*
Old 02-17-2006, 12:18 PM   #11
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, as long as she doesn't find you boring, accept that Aikido is just not her thing.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-17-2006, 12:56 PM   #12
Michael O'Brien
Dojo: Nashville Aikikai
United_States

My wife went to a class with me and didn't really enjoy it for whatever reason. So now I train in Aikido and she trains in Olympic style boxing.

It works for us. She throws jabs and right crosses at me and I counter them with Aikido.

Harmony does not mean that there are no conflicts,
for the dynamic spiral of existence embraces both extremes.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:22 PM   #13
Dajo251
United_States

Quote:
Michael O'Brien wrote:
My wife went to a class with me and didn't really enjoy it for whatever reason. So now I train in Aikido and she trains in Olympic style boxing.

It works for us. She throws jabs and right crosses at me and I counter them with Aikido.

ha sounds amusing....I'll make a stupid comment and my girl friend will go to punch me in the arms and I just step out of the way and she gets even more frustrated and it amuses me even more

Dan Hulley
Old 02-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #14
Alec Corper

Dojo: Itten Suginami Dojo, Nunspeet
Netherlands

Quote:
Beautiful sentiment that Edwin, er, on second thought, it sounds a bit kinky ;-)

If your temper rises withdraw your hand, if your hand rises withdraw your temper.
Old 02-17-2006, 01:33 PM   #15
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society

I'm third kyu, my husband is soon to be fifth. We get lots of stares when we practice at bus stops or in parks....so far no one has stepped in to "rescue" me from him.

He studied judo as a kid, so when I get too cocky and mess up his techniques, he will leg-sweep me and dump me on my butt. It's a nice relationship....

Mary Kaye
Old 02-17-2006, 05:19 PM   #16
neb1979
Australia

My fiance is the same way I have asked her to give Aikido a try but won't have a bar of it. She trained judo when she was a teenager and every now and then when I am being annoying and trying techniques on her she realizes that there are a lot of similarities with the 2 arts. But like Lynn said just accept that she doesn't find Aikido that interesting and try and find something else that you both can enjoy together.
Old 02-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #17
Edwin Neal
Dojo: Ronin
United_States

kinky is good...

Edwin Neal

Old 02-17-2006, 08:17 PM   #18
crbateman

I got Aikido for my wife... (I think it was a pretty good trade... )
Old 02-18-2006, 09:52 AM   #19
Qatana

Dojo: Aikido of Petaluma, Petaluma,CA

Well, he'd probably be disappointed in me if I blew off going to the dojo this morning to go pick him up two hours earlier. Then again, he was the one who pointed me toward aikido to begin with...and even though he says he can no longer fall painlessly I've been trying to get him on the mat ever since...

Q
http://www.aikidopetaluma.com/
www.knot-working.com

"It is not wise to be incautious when confronting a little smiling bald man"'- Rule #1
Old 02-18-2006, 01:41 PM   #20
Pauliina Lievonen

Dojo: Jiki Shin Kan Utrecht
Netherlands

My hubby isn't interested in aikido in the least. He doesn't find me boring though.

I get to tell him one aikido story a day, more than that and he's not obligated to listen.
Old 02-18-2006, 02:52 PM   #21
Jory Boling

Dojo: A.K.I.,Misakikai Dojo
United_States

back in the States, my wife came to every class and watched. Now that we're back to her hometown in Japan, she joined with me. i have to take baby steps with her, but it's 1000x better than nothing.

Old 02-18-2006, 05:23 PM   #22
Eliot
Dojo: Bucks County Aikido
United_States

My wife does not have an interest in taking it yet. But she has asked some questions and is very supportive.
Old 02-19-2006, 12:34 AM   #23
Dajo251
United_States

its funny I was talking to my girlfriend and as bored as she is watching the classes she said she'd like to try one come this summer when she has time......I will never understand the female of the species

Dan Hulley
Old 02-19-2006, 03:25 AM   #24
batemanb

Dojo: Seibukan Aikido UK

When I met my wife, she tried Aikido once, but didn't really follow up on it. There was a public suggestion at our wedding that I should reduce the number of nights that I train. I figured it was a fair compromise. 10 years later, my wife has been practicing for close to two years and currently ranks 4th kyu. We don't have enough training days in the week to balance between us both training and looking after "junior". Consequently, we don't actually get to practice with each other, but she enjoys Aikido a lot. She's looking forward to our return to Japan next month when she can train with my Sensei for the first time.

Liking Aikido has nothing to do with a relationship, there's plenty of single people out there that don't like it either. It's not really important is it? If you want to keep the relationship, you just need to ensure that it has balance.

rgds

Bryan

rgds

Bryan

A difficult problem is easily solved by asking yourself the question, "Just how would the Lone Ranger handle this?"
Old 02-19-2006, 04:24 AM   #25
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

Quote:
Daniel Hulley wrote:
its funny I was talking to my girlfriend and as bored as she is watching the classes she said she'd like to try one come this summer when she has time......I will never understand the female of the species
I can understand that, I get bored watching classes too.