Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Techniques

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #76
Riai Maori

New Zealand-Maori
Re: Primary Techniques for Self Defense

Quote:
Joe Bramblett wrote: View Post
Glocks haven't changed significantly in the last six years.
Only in the hands of thy beholder I believe?

Motto tsuyoku
Old 06-24-2015, 07:27 AM   #77
lbb
United_States

Quote:
Joe Bramblett wrote: View Post
Glocks haven't changed significantly in the last six years.
But the person you're responding to has no doubt resolved the issue by now. So...?
Old 12-31-2016, 08:45 AM   #78
fatebass21

Dojo: Westminster Tenshinkai Aikido Dojo
United_States
Re: Primary Techniques

Quote:
Daren Sims wrote: View Post
I absolutely would not even think technique.

Think principles.

Irimi.

Atemi.

Or even better maai....don't even be there.
yeah

Chris Sawyer
Training day is every day
Old 05-17-2017, 10:09 AM   #79
shuckser
Dojo: Brighton Aikikai, UK
United Kingdom

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Which Aikido technique would be your first choice to know for use in a self defense situation?

Which Aikido technique would be your second choice to know for use in a self defense situation?

David
1. Uchi kaiten sankyo koshi nage.

2. Kokyu nage.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:37 AM   #80
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
Which Aikido technique would be your first choice to know for use in a self defense situation?
Prior training/discipline of the mind/emotions in Observation-Orientation-Decision.

Quote:
Which Aikido technique would be your second choice to know for use in a self defense situation?
Prior training/discipline of the body in startle-response (freeze-flee-fight-flow) to get off the attack line, creating effective/entering distance, and decisive action.

Its about reality-based principles, not a specific technique which would change by circumstances and opportunities.

Just initial thoughts off the top of my head, not to be taken too seriously.

Last edited by akiy : 05-18-2017 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 06-17-2018, 12:16 AM   #81
ThirdDoctor
United_States

Wassup, ancient aiki thread! I read the whole thing and maybe I missed it, but I think there's a significant question missing from this discussion. This question is, what type of self-defense situation is it? Your "favorite two techniques" or even the appropriate principles to apply will vary widely based on the answer to this question.

If it is a dude hassling another dude at a bar (monkey dance type situation), aggressive irimi style responses are probably not the best card to play. You probably want to run or talk your way out, like some responders in the thread above have mentioned. Probability of legal repercussions if you respond with aggressive entry is high. Probability of needlessly escalating the situation if you move to physical techniques is high.

If it is a huge psychotic man attempting to force you (a small woman) into a car to take you somewhere with the probable intention of torturing and killing you, your odds are best if you make noise (not covered in aikido that I know of), inflict permanent damage such as eye gouges (also not explicitly taught in aikido that I know of) and do your best to leave his blood on the crime scene. What are the best techniques to quickly and efficiently teach these principles to a woman (or a guy--men need this self-defense too)? I'm not sure they're found in aikido, certainly not at the beginner level.

If it is your big tall drunk frat brother who wants his car keys and yikes he's an angry drunk, off-balancing and joint locks are probably a lovely friendly way to keep him safe without destroying your friendship or having either person land in the hospital. What are good aikido techniques to learn safe, friendly neutralization? All of them, I guess, just as other responders above have said, so I suppose there's no harm in pulling out any random two. Ikkyo, as a major joint lock affecting the balance and structure, and iriminage, as a good platform to learn getting-behind and off-balancing, would be a fine answer I think. So would kotegaeshi and sankyo. Or shihonage and kaitenage. All fine platforms from which to learn this type of self-defense.

These three examples don't cover the full range of self-defense situations, each of which might require a different type of response, different principles and different "two favorite techniques" to teach said principles. They're just an example to illustrate that when people talk about "such and such works for self-defense" or "such and such works on the street," we all have immediate assumptions, which may or may not be correct. It's worth talking about what these assumptions are.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #82
Currawong
Dojo: Shoheijuku Aikido, Fukuoka
Japan

The real defence, in my opinion, will come down to your own instinctive mindset when confronted with aggression, including your own ability to remain self-aware and take conscious actions, rather than acting reflexively.

There is an interesting write-up by a retired policeman who did martial arts about what he ended up using in his work, which I think is relevant here.

http://kogenbudo.org/my-use-of-class...y-bill-fettes/

Naturally having something useful to say is like natural responses during training: It takes much practice.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:15 AM   #83
JJF

Dojo: Vestfyn Aikikai Denmark
Denmark

Technique doesn't matter. Don't Focus on the practical applicability of one over the other. They are just tools to learn a way og moving. Hoping any waza Will save the Day always is a dangerous mindset. A flexibel mind and a relaxed body Will have the best chance of coming Up with the appropriate response.

- Jørgen Jakob Friis

Inspiration - Aspiration - Perspiration
Old 07-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #84
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

... not to add to the thread necrology overmuch -- but my first teacher, Dennis Hooker (may he rest in peace), would often say that he knew of only two aikido techniques: 1) irimi and 2) tenkan.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 07-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #85
Rupert Atkinson

Dojo: Wherever I am.
United Kingdom

The main problem in using Aikido for self-defence is the way we train. There are two main ways:

1 If your technique doesn't work, try to find out why and improve it.
2 If it doesn't work, try something else.

Aikido typically follows #1. This is good for training perfection. The more 'esoteric'.
Judo is both #1 and #2. The second is essential in a rapidly changing situation. The more 'practical'.

Basically, most Aikido training is #1 (except Tomiki Aikido) and so is of almost no use for self-defence.

It was always totally obvious to me and is why I spent 20 + years learning Judo/Jujutsu /Wing Chun alongside my Aikido (in my 38th year at it now).

That's the 'practical' reasoning, from my point of view. However, as I have mentioned before, for me Aikido is The Way of Aiki. It's sole purpose is to discover and develop aiki. If that is your path, and you discover aiki, then it may start being more 'practical' for you. Otherwise, your Aikido will never be more than a bunch of semi-useless fixed techniques ... that will never work in a rapidly changing 'practical' situation.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:14 AM   #86
MrIggy
Dojo: Aikido Klub Tisa - Novi Sad
Serbia

Quote:
Julia Zummo wrote: View Post
Wassup, ancient aiki thread! I read the whole thing and maybe I missed it, but I think there's a significant question missing from this discussion. This question is, what type of self-defense situation is it? Your "favorite two techniques" or even the appropriate principles to apply will vary widely based on the answer to this question.
Well it depends. In some situations a simple punch will work wonders. I remember a situation with a teenage girl from some other Aikido dojo (we call them clubs like in "sport clubs") that was once harassed by some older man in the street. Long story short, he finally grabbed her for her shoulder from behind and she simply turned and smacked him on the mouth sending a couple of his teeth down his throat and then just ran home. The police I think handled the rest. Basic Jodantsuki although learning front and back straight punches (like in boxing or Karate) is also good.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:45 PM   #87
shizentai
United_States

Quote:

David
Speaking from experience... grabbing a sleeve to get skeletal control, lots of atemi, ikkyo-frame deflections of punches, kick deflections. Of course by atemi I actually mean "punching someone in the face repeatedly".
Old 09-17-2020, 04:48 AM   #88
earnest aikidoka
Singapore

Look at Gozo Shioda Shihan's randori. He only ever uses three moves;

A straight palm thrust up the chin, atemi in other words;

Taisabaki/Ryotedori Kokyunage;

Ushiro Taisabaki or the shoulder shrug to deal with opponents coming from behind.

The technique is not important. The most important is the Aiki, which is a matter of timing and leading. If you get the Aiki right, you can use any move which works and it will still be Aikido.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:12 PM   #89
Bernd Lehnen
Germany

Quote:
Hansel Wong wrote: View Post
Look at Gozo Shioda Shihan's randori. He only ever uses three moves;

A straight palm thrust up the chin, atemi in other words;

Taisabaki/Ryotedori Kokyunage;

Ushiro Taisabaki or the shoulder shrug to deal with opponents coming from behind.

The technique is not important. The most important is the Aiki, which is a matter of timing and leading. If you get the Aiki right, you can use any move which works and it will still be Aikido.
Exactly.
He always takes the lead, as Tohei, too, recommended, and that means he's always on the attack. Attack is the best defense…
The Aikido Kata is actually just a means of practicing together without destroying the other. It is the laboratory for strategy, but not for the application, the tactics. If it comes to a fight, there is no more room for the kata. You always only know afterwards whether you have practiced the right behavior ...
And you also need a little luck.
But luck helps the able, as they say.

Best,
Bernd