Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-02-2006, 01:52 PM   #101
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo
Re: Instr. in Tokyo throws people w/ Pinky

Quote:
Mathew McDowell wrote:
I do not know how to explain myself here, my understanding of hands on is "understood", within myself in our own dojo. I feel the power of the pinky regularly. Its sounds to me as if you are putting out challenges to the aikido world. Or my sensei is better than yours type deal.The shadow training terminology is not just applied to technique but principles too. However dont get me wrong, It sounds as if you have a great place to train. And you should continue to train under such a skilled instructor. Is your Aikido journey about becoming the next MMA champ? Is your instructor a cross training engineer?What are your goals? I am curious not being assertive. So with all due respect. And yes I would love to come to your dojo as a larger type westerner, as a guest, not as a challanger ! I think that is "the way" dont you?
Nope it's not a challenge,Nor is it the "my teacher is better than yours".
Just an offer to feel something which you may have not felt before
About your questions, No to being an MMA champ, although I am experimenting with it in that context and hope to be able to test it in the ring a some point. No and Yes to him being a cross training engineer. He's kinda unique. He doesn't care abou style, and makes his stuff work for any context (pretty bold statement, I know, its not a boast, just the way he approaches things).
Goals? That's better served in a PM discussion. But I do have my own goals and they're not relegated to the "enter the ring and win" short term deal (tho I'm not saying that' not included)

Seriously tho, I meant it as a friendly offer, drop by sometime.
Ark's a friendly guy and we can all grab a couple of rounds after class(where the real training happens lol)
Old 01-03-2006, 06:09 AM   #102
Josh Reyer

Japan

I don't train with Rob and Akuzawa (since I live quite a bit aways), but on a recent trip to Tokyo I took the opportunity to have a little training session with Rob. It was a great experience that really threw a lot of light on why some things in aikido, particularly Iwama style, are the way they are. I'm still far down in terms of ability and technique in aikido, but just that one session gave me some insight on movement and, IMO, improved my aikido, if only a little.

Rob's also a great guy; nothing macho or competitive about it. I highly recommend giving Aunkai a shot, even just one demo lesson.

Josh Reyer

The lyf so short, the crafte so longe to lerne,
Th'assay so harde, so sharpe the conquerynge...
- Chaucer
Old 02-19-2006, 10:26 AM   #103
Mat Hill
Dojo: Kaminari Shooto Dojo
England

Quote:
Roy Dean wrote:
"(None of the shooto guys over here in Japan want anything to do with him. He had a bad reputation over here about 8 years back since he tended to send his full contact students to the hospital)"

You've mentioned this a few times. And the Shooto organization didn't try to recruit him? Or Pancrase? Or Pride? They're willing to pay foreign fighters tens of thousands of dollars, and have international tryouts for their organizations, but refuse to bring in a native son because he's too dangerous? Did the Shooto guys relay this information to you? How did you hear about this?
Still think this was a good question...

just asked it on Bullshido using this quote Roy and linking to here.

Expect an influx of Bullshido nuts

Here
Old 09-08-2006, 03:53 PM   #104
statisticool
United_States

By throwing around with a pinky, does one really mean that, are is it just saying someone took a static stance and he was able to push them over using his pinky.

Two very different things.

Justin

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."
Old 09-08-2006, 06:34 PM   #105
Upyu

Actually sure, it's pretty against an amateur(especially weight lifting types). I can do it with my index finger
I'll be its the same thing Gozo Shioda talked about, (except he would make more of a show for it by poking someone's trachea)
Old 09-08-2006, 09:24 PM   #106
statisticool
United_States

Does it translate to actual fighting, or is it just a 'trick' that has no martial application in a real situation?

Old 09-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #107
Mike Sigman
United_States

Quote:
Justin Smith wrote:
Does it translate to actual fighting, or is it just a 'trick' that has no martial application in a real situation?
From the Cheng Man Chingers who have argued for more than 30 years about why bad knee alignment makes their knees hurt, why would you care? Why would you argue? Why not go see, if you're really interested in martial arts? These rhetorical ruminations lead nowhere.

Mike Sigman
Old 09-09-2006, 05:35 AM   #108
statisticool
United_States

I appreciate your 'internal strength' expertise input..

(But the question wasn't answered.)

Justin

Last edited by statisticool : 09-09-2006 at 05:39 AM.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:49 AM   #109
Upyu

Yes Justin, it applies to r3al fighting.
The same principals are applied in strikes, throws, grappling whatever
Old 09-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #110
statisticool
United_States

Anything can apply in theory, on principle, sure.

I was just curious, since all the video searches I did on this showed just manipulating someone who was in a fixed posture, or a student in a class in a non-sparring environment, which may or may not actually translate to reality.

Old 09-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #111
Upyu

If you're actually on the East Coast (and not in Oregon or somewhere) I'll be happy to show you how those princples apply in movements done in sparring when I drop by Virginia at some point

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!