Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-13-2004, 06:00 PM   #51
MaryKaye
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
Re: "Attacks and Throws" - Aikido in Austin

I was once filmed at a chess tournament by the local (Tennessee) news agency because I was playing against the young prodigy who eventually won the tournament. They asked us to play a bit of "speed chess" together so they could film us. But we moved our arms too quickly and they couldn't focus, and the moves on the board were also too long for them, and the taller pieces got in the way of filming the shorter ones. So the film eventually shown has a fictional (and illegal) chess position with me taking two moves in a row and checkmating the young prodigy (something that, I assure you, never happened in real life).

I would never judge anyone's technique by the results of a news filming. It's quite possible that the cameraman was persistantly saying "Slow down, don't move in that way, do it again but turn toward me" ad nauseum. It's also possible that something ghastly was done in editing.

I have also noticed that when we film each other in the dojo for training purposes, the technique of the person being filmed is often not up to their best. We say "The camera is cruel" but it's probably mostly stage fright. Being filmed is an odd experience for most of us and self-consciousness does not lead to good aikido.

Mary Kaye
Old 10-13-2004, 06:28 PM   #52
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Jun Akiyama wrote:
I would be very interested to see what people here can come up with.

Any takers?

-- Jun

Okay, how about this

Explorer TV show Aikido segment

After the very slow title credits, the first 1 min and 10 secs of this video clip of a TV introduction of Aikido. I didn't have anything to do with it, but I thought it was a rather nice job for such a brief segment and it's done by people I respect. The rest of the video is essentially the dojo promo which for the most part is pretty decent.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:29 PM   #53
senshincenter

Dojo: Senshin Center
United_States

Personally, I disagree with the point that another person's Aikido can say anything about my own. If the general public is truly going to gain a real insight into what Aikido is and/or is not, they should start with the fact that everybody's Aikido is different - that there is no such thing as "Aikido" with a capital "A" if we believe that to be a unified and consistent system of discourse, thought, and action. In order for this to happen, aikidoka themselves are going to have to stop getting so riled up every time they think someone is in a position to represent them and/or their art. Aikidoka are going to have to stop thinking that the Aikido-world is in need of a hero that it can only find in them. In short, the false-righteousness should cease because the supposed cause itself does not exist. Folks who do not realize how false the cause actually is, whether they are for or against such thrashings, I believe, open themselves up too greatly to charges of inconsistency and even hypocrisy. Point in fact, I remember only two voices, my own and one other, that strongly spoke out against the thrashing Mr. DiPerro received the last time this kind of thing took place on this site. At that time, no one else spoke about crossing the line, and a lot worse was said in that thread. Here, in in this case, the thrashers seem to be in the minority. What is up with that? Only the federated or the ranked and titled deserve the benefit of the doubt and/or the ethical treatment upheld by the art's social philosophy? Or is it that strangers just deserve evrything they get? That can hardly be right.

If folks are going to move on in their maturity of the praxis, then we have to see the falsity itself of the cause we claim to be upholding. The overly light suggestion (my opinion) of saying, "Let's see you do better," is not going to cut it. Such a thing would only lead to more thrashing -- just by a different group of folks upon a different group of folks.

I certainly have to say that what I find most disturbing is how conditional folks are with their ethics. While I cannot condone what some have said in their negative opinions here, for the reasons I stated above, I also find it hard to accept how easily it is to call one person immature in their practice and/or "over the line" when a "famous" person, a "ranked" person, a "titled" person, etc., can act in the same exact way (or often worse) and receive no such admonishments. Geesh, at least Mr. Janczuk has some consistency to his position: "Everyone not like him sucks." At some level, I find that consistency a lot easier to appreciate even if I find the opinion to be based in absurdity (which is my opinion).

If we are going to talk about maturity, and I think we should, let's not forget the role that consistency also plays in that process.

dmv
Old 10-13-2004, 06:58 PM   #54
akiy

Sheesh. I didn't think speaking up and trying to move things to a more positive direction would get me labeled a hipocrite with underlying failures in being conditional, inconsistent, and unethical...

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:11 PM   #55
senshincenter

United_States

Please, I'm no one, what I'm saying doesn't matter a bit. I'm not labeling anyone. I have no capacity to do so. I am identifying positions, ideas, statements, according to how the appear to me.

However, I sure would have appreciated that the same effort was made the last time this happened, as I would were the same effort made every time this happens - because this certainly won't be the last.

dmv
Old 10-13-2004, 07:15 PM   #56
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
Personally, I disagree with the point that another person's Aikido can say anything about my own.
That's right, but program shown on TV about "Aikido" which covers couple of minutes of a class in a dojo may give incorrect impression about the art overall.

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
If the general public is truly going to gain a real insight into what Aikido is and/or is not, they should start with the fact that everybody's Aikido is different - that there is no such thing as "Aikido" with a capital "A" if we believe that to be a unified and consistent system of discourse, thought, and action.
Well, that's what producers usually "forget" to mention

As for the second part about criticizing different people, though I did not post anything bad about Mr. DiPerro, if I remember correctly there were several differences in the situation:

1. Mr. DiPerro was not broadcasting his video on TV (his website is his website and he can post anything he wants and Internet usually is not accepted as a source of absolutely true material).
2. There were couple posts talking about his background which sounded unpleasant. Not sure if they were true or not, but probably they also affect people's opinion.

P.S. I think Greg Jenning was the one who also opposed critisism.

Last edited by suren : 10-13-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:16 PM   #57
suren
Dojo: Aikido of Silicon Valley
United_States

I would strongly agree with David's last post.

Also should admit that Jun has probably limited time to administer this site, so I'm really thankful for what he does already.

Last edited by suren : 10-13-2004 at 07:19 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:29 PM   #58
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
Please, I'm no one, what I'm saying doesn't matter a bit. I'm not labeling anyone. I have no capacity to do so. I am identifying positions, ideas, statements, according to how the appear to me.

However, I sure would have appreciated that the same effort was made the last time this happened, as I would were the same effort made every time this happens - because this certainly won't be the last.

dmv
David,
There area number of folks, myself included I hope, who have been consistently against this type of personal slandering. The time you are referring to is an instance I don't remember so it may have been when I was taking a break from the forums. I think there are a number of folks who do step in when things get dirty although we've all taken our hits as well. Me, I just laugh every time someone crosses that line where they've essentially "called me out" on-line. I just try to envision the look on their face if I walked into their dojo for "satisfaction".

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com
Old 10-13-2004, 08:14 PM   #59
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Mary Kuhner wrote:
I would never judge anyone's technique by the results of a news filming. It's quite possible that the cameraman was persistantly saying "Slow down, don't move in that way, do it again but turn toward me" ad nauseum. It's also possible that something ghastly was done in editing.
This has been my experience.

You have no say in the final outcome. You do your best and hope the final product will be enough to capture the interest of others.

Think about it this way: The piece was put together for NON-aikido folks. It was edited BY non-aikido folks. The non-aikido folks who edited it picked the bits they thought would be interesting to other non-aikido folks.

I give them credit for doing it at all. It was a piece on LOCAL interests. Telling them to call their instructor in D.C, Colorado or Japan isn't really an option. The news would have gone down the street to the nearest tae kwon do school and gotten what they needed. I've never met Libby sensei but I'm willing to bet the thought process wasn't "Ok, now's my chance to show my stuff. I'll show 'em what real aikido is supposed to be!". I'm willing to be it was more along the lines of "Well, it would help to get the art in the public eye. I'll do my best. I hope it turns out well and I don't get slammed on the internet for trying."

Just my take. You are free to disagree.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 10-13-2004, 08:32 PM   #60
NagaBaba

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
Geesh, at least Mr. Janczuk has some consistency to his position: "Everyone not like him sucks." At some level, I find that consistency a lot easier to appreciate even if I find the opinion to be based in absurdity (which is my opinion).

If we are going to talk about maturity, and I think we should, let's not forget the role that consistency also plays in that process.

dmv
Hi David,
There are certainly few dojo with very good aikido practice. Strange enough, they don't publish much video from training. Not even many photos.
Think about it.

Speaking about maturity, how about authors those horrible new age videos? We must shut up, be mature, pay respect to etiquette, and they, they can do whatever they want to deform image noble art of aikido ? To insult attainments 40 years of shihans hard work in Unites States with their video?

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 10-13-2004, 09:20 PM   #61
senshincenter

United_States

Hi George,

Your last line had me laughing out loud - great one. That look would be very funny I imagine.

Hi Szczepan,

Thanks for replying. I can see your point. But that is the problem with these "moral" positions concerning abstract entities like "Aikido." All points appear equal but for the political power that one can bring to bear upon one side or the other. However, this is not supposed to be the way that Right Action is determined. The ethical is supposed to fall outside of institutional support of any kind. Wouldn't you agree?

From a polemical point of view, your position does force one to ask the question, "Who is really being the more disrespectful?" - I can concede that. But this doesn't change the reality of the situation - that no such entity exists, that there is no single unified base upon which or from which to launch an insult and/or a saving grace. That is why, for me, your position, while appearing logical from one point of view, is irrelevant from all points of view.

This position of disrespecting shihan and "real" aikidoka was brought up last time such a thread got started here. And as I said then, there is no shihan out there who is writhing in pain because someone did a video like this. And there is no shihan that is being saved by that pain because some have opted to use this forum to thrash another human being in the name of some greater good that does not exist. Not even Sarutahiko no Okami felt a the slightest bit of enery from either action.

Before I saw the film, I was going to the dojo tonight. After I saw the film, I am still going to the dojo tonight. I bet it is the same for all of us. If that is the case, then maybe we would all be better off in not only determining why such needs to condemn arise within us but how such mechanisms are actually put to work by forces yet to be readily felt, readily heard, and readily brought to the conscious level of our intellect and our capacity to contemplate.

As for the video, and addressing your request that I think about it, etc., all I can say is that it is not my Aikido. It doesn't resemble my Aikido anymore than a teller who does banking resembles my Aikido. And since I don't get all bent because the teller does banking while I am doing Aikido, I don't get all bent because they are doing their version of Aikido while I am doing mine.

They do what they do and I do what I do. And that is the underlying of reality - which includes the reality of Aikido.

Again, thank you for replying,
david
Old 10-13-2004, 10:06 PM   #62
CNYMike
United_States

Ok, so I finally did what I should have done in the first place -- watched the video. (I've had a bad week -- sue me. ) And at the risk of getting myself into hot water over this and starting ANOTHER fight, I have this to say about the aikido I saw in the footage:

I have no problem with the pace they were working at. None.

That's about the pace the dojo I'm in goes at. As has been noted, there are good reasons for going relatively "slowly," partly to get the techniques right and also for training safety. Or as one of our numbers said before a seminar a few months ago, "Never attack harder than you want to be thrown." That's probably why we go at about the same pace in the Kali/Serak class I go to. There is a time for going fast and hard at full speed and time to take it slow and careful to learn it. Esepcially when doing bokken technique -- I wouldn't want that to smack me in the head full force if I didn't evade/block in time! Would you? Samurai died from such injuries in duels fought with "safer" bokens. Isn't that how kendo got started?

I honestly don't see how this can make aikido look bad, especially to a general audience whoes members include many people who probably doesn't know much about Eastern Martial arts beyond what they see in the movies. As it is, I visited the dojo's web site ( http://www.austinaikido.com/ ), and they've ben around since 1992, so anyone's who's anyone in the Austin MA community already knows their rep, good or bad.

Oh, and I'd like to the note the comment by student David Johndrow describing "unpredictable attacks" at "higher levels". They may not have SHOWN jiyu waza, but they mentioned it!

Last edited by CNYMike : 10-13-2004 at 10:11 PM. Reason: Adding something
Old 10-13-2004, 11:36 PM   #63
Erik

Jeez, and I didn't even say anything about ki not existing before everyone got worked up. Some thoughts!

Any dojo that got that piece, or a similar one, done should be thrilled. Sure it doesn't demonstrate the highest and most baddass of us but not everyone wants that. it was a nice piece, particularly when you consider that it was free. And, it will play well with a certain audience and it's probably the very audience they want to attract.

Secondly, I was once part of a demo where I got paired up with a women who was probably 100 pounds lighter than me. Some of the other pairs did the head banging bit and I did the tootie-fruitie, as some would deem it, stuff. Anyways, it turned out that Clint George's mother was in the audience and she was very complimentary, or just being nice, of what I did. Her point was that not everyone watching the art is going to want to see uke's blasted into the air or turned into a pretzel particularly when the guy doing it wouldn't need a MA to do it given the size difference. They might want to see the softer side of the art.

Next, at the risk of pissing people off, I wonder if they'd have shown the same defensiveness about criticism if we were talking about someone who was not ASU, not in their locale, and or, someone of obviously suspect credentials.

Lastly, controversial things generate discussion. One of the things I learned from Neil Mick and my Ki is BS debates is that imflammatory statements, well, generates attention. The school in question wasn't hurt (maybe their feelings but those will recover) by anything said in this thread and in fact was probably helped by it.

Damn, that's the longest post in some time.

By the way, I've never met Clint George. It just happens that I've met his mother.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:37 PM   #64
Michael Young

Dojo: Alamo City Aikido

Wow what a thread! First off, it is pretty interesting that this all came up at this time, and that George Ledyard Sensei has weighed in on the issue with this particular Austin group. Ledyard Sensei is coming to our dojo here in San Antonio next week, and guess which other dojo is close by and will be attending? Lesli Libbey's dojo from Austin. I think Ledyard Sensei's reputation precedes him, and I think it also says something about Lesli Sensei and her group that they are coming down to practice under him.
I know Lesli, Jay, and several other people at the Austin Dojo very well. I would consider Jay a VERY good friend in fact. I've had the fine opportunity of practicing with them on a semi-regular basis, they often come down to San Antonio for a weekend class or two and vice versa. We usually attend each other's testing too. I've taken ukemi for several of their students on their tests, and they have all done very well. The Sensei at my dojo is a 3rd dan and is a direct student of Saotome Sensei, he is also in law enforcement, so trains with a very critical eye toward "real life" effectiveness. He has plenty of experience with "real life" attacks...and can dish them out on a regular basis (I speak from experience) He too has taken ukemi on tests at Lesli Sensei's dojo, and he didn't hold back one iota...all of Lesli's students handle it in fine form.
Not that I need to defend them...but I'll set the record straight...Is the video true to their normal day to day keiko? No, not really...It looked like most of what was in the video was technique slowed down quite a bit. The news crew was there for quite some time, and as some have already pointed out, what is shown on TV for 30 seconds is usually edited to the point of half-truth. That is true in this case. Lesli's dojo practices very vigorously, they also practice slowly sometimes too, depending on the participants and the situation....just like any good Aikido dojo does. BTW most of the people in the video are not Yudansha, as Jun pointed out ASU dojo wear hakama at all ranks...this is a good point to consider for you detractors of this group, if your assumption about such a basic thing was off, what else could be wrong? I really don't want to rehash all of the issues brought up here, they seem to be covered pretty well already by others, and it would be fruitless to try to refute ideas based on ignorance and prejudice.... I would however like to extend an invitation to both Aleskey and Szczepan to come on down to Ledyard Sensei's seminar in San Antonio on October 22nd-24th (blatant plug ) and train with these people...I think you would change your current opinions-based as they are on a 30 second video clip, and not on who these people really are or how they train- and have a great time as well. Oh, yeah the invitation is open to everyone else too, of course (plug,plug,plug)

Best Regards,

Mike
Old 10-13-2004, 11:38 PM   #65
akiy

Quote:
David Valadez wrote:
Duly noted. I'll see about doing better in the future.

-- Jun

Please help support AikiWeb -- become an AikiWeb Contributing Member!
Old 10-14-2004, 01:08 AM   #66
kironin

United_States

Quote:
Michael Young wrote:
. Oh, yeah the invitation is open to everyone else too, of course (plug,plug,plug)
Best Regards,
Mike
Hi Michael,

I have been debating making the drive down to San Antonio from Houston for at least Sunday. This state really needs bullet trains!

I suppose it would be a little selfish to try to get in some Systema knife play in with George.

Old 10-14-2004, 08:52 AM   #67
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States

Craig,

Not to change the subject, but isn't there a plan in the works for a Mag-Lev train system going from Houston on up to the Dallas area.. with stops in the major cities?

I remember a news article with Gov. Perry saying he wanted to put that in, but no news since.

Just thought I'd ask. Thanks!

Old 10-14-2004, 10:30 AM   #68
CNYMike
United_States

Quote:
Michael Young wrote:
..... .... I would however like to extend an invitation to both Aleskey and Szczepan to come on down to Ledyard Sensei's seminar in San Antonio on October 22nd-24th (blatant plug ) and train with these people...I think you would change your current opinions-based as they are on a 30 second video clip, and not on who these people really are or how they train- and have a great time as well. Oh, yeah the invitation is open to everyone else too, of course (plug,plug,plug)

Best Regards,

Mike
Thanks for the invite, but sadly, I won't be able to make it. Even if I didn't hate flying, I will be at a Pentjak Silat Serak seminar by Maha Guru Victor de Thouars. (non-Aikido plug plug plug Although Pak Vic's wife, Ibu Jane, is an Aikido instructor, so it's not TOO far off the beaten path, I suppose.) Some people from my dojo will be going to New York Aikikai's seminar in Woodstock, NY. And Arjan Chai will be giving a Thai Boxing seminar in Ottawa, Canada.

All on that same weekend.

You know what? I think we can agree that the days of the warrior ascetic who went into the mountains and trained in a cave until achieving enlightenment and a new system are well and truly gone. You do MA in this day and age, learn to love people and road trips.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:01 PM   #69
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

Quote:
Gaia Thurston-Shaine wrote:
Hi Karen W... Yes, I expect you know the nidan I was speaking of - she took her test in Montreal last spring. Were you there? I thought she had the best test of anyone that day. Oh, and I visited your dojo with a friend of mine from Bard a few weeks ago and we trained together... Hi
Hi Gaia! I meant to ask you if you were the Aikiweb Gaia after class, but you left before I got a chance. I kinda figured you were. Now I know.

Yes, I was in Montreal in spring and got to watch (and take pics) of her awesome test. If I have half her skill and power when I am nidan, I will be thrilled.

Hope you come back to visit and practice with us soon!

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 10-14-2004, 01:51 PM   #70
kironin

United_States

Quote:
John Boswell wrote:
Craig,

Not to change the subject, but isn't there a plan in the works for a Mag-Lev train system going from Houston on up to the Dallas area.. with stops in the major cities?

I remember a news article with Gov. Perry saying he wanted to put that in, but no news since.

Just thought I'd ask. Thanks!
Campaign promise perhaps ?

I don't remember that but we certainly have the technology in Texas to do it!
http://www.megarail.com/pr/library/2002/mar/20maglev/

Old 10-14-2004, 02:46 PM   #71
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Interesting thread. I think most of what I might contribute has already been stated. One thing to be aware of...

Quote:
I would however like to extend an invitation to both Aleskey and Szczepan to come on down to Ledyard Sensei's seminar in San Antonio on October 22nd-24th (blatant plug ) and train with these people...
People who make some of the statements made in this thread seem to get out and about rarely. Similar critisism was made about some of the Aiki Expo demonstrations...yet I don't think any of the people doing the critiquing bothered to show up. I've been to many dojo in both my own area and quite a few others. If I took the kind of attitudes taken in some posts here to every little thing I disagreed with, I would:

a) probably not be welcome back
b) probably get a black eye if I did go back
c) miss out on an awfull lot of good, fun, serious training. Even if its not what I might prefer for my own regular training. And the clip at the start of this thread gives no one any real clue about it.

Grow up folks. Or at least show up, and take the black eye...

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-14-2004, 04:25 PM   #72
Michael Young

Dojo: Alamo City Aikido

Hi Craig,

We'd love to see you, hope you can make it. I'm sure we'll make this a regular thing with Ledyard Sensei (if he is up for it of course). Please ask him about his systema stuff, (if someone else doesn't beat you to it ) Ledyard Sensei's perspective on Aikido, combined with his knowledge and open minded exploration of other martial arts, is one of the things I love about his teaching and am looking forward to seeing next weekend.
I know what you mean about the bullet trains...last I had heard though, that idea had been killed in the state government a few years ago. But who knows...things, attitudes, and technologies change, i.e. the link you provided.

Quote:
People who make some of the statements made in this thread seem to get out and about rarely. Similar critisism was made about some of the Aiki Expo demonstrations...yet I don't think any of the people doing the critiquing bothered to show up
Yup, I agree Ron...but I had to make the invitation anyway. Maybe its waisted effort, and though the offer is sincere, I was more just trying to find the most "Aiki" response I could...Hoping to diffuse some of the rudeness, I guess.

Mike
Old 10-14-2004, 05:02 PM   #73
NagaBaba

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
People who make some of the statements made in this thread seem to get out and about rarely.
Grow up folks. Or at least show up, and take the black eye...

Ron
Ron,
Life is so short. Still there are many high level instructors dojo to visit. Why should I waste my time/money visiting new age aikido? I let them adore themselves.
And believe me, after few years of practice, one can develop very accurate judgment. 3 minutes observation is enough.

Nagababa

ask for divine protection Ame no Murakumo Kuki Samuhara no Ryuo
Old 10-15-2004, 06:54 AM   #74
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Quote:
3 minutes observation is enough.
Oh Really??? Personally, I prefer to take the ukemi myself...so much goes unseen, especially in 'top level instructors'.

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 10-15-2004, 09:41 AM   #75
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
People who make some of the statements made in this thread seem to get out and about rarely...

I've been to many dojo in both my own area and quite a few others. If I took the kind of attitudes taken in some posts here to every little thing I disagreed with, I would:

a) probably not be welcome back
b) probably get a black eye if I did go back
c) miss out on an awfull lot of good, fun, serious training. Even if its not what I might prefer for my own regular training. And the clip at the start of this thread gives no one any real clue about it.
I think Ron is correct. Anyone can sit behind their computer screens and make snap judgments from their virtual Ivory Towers. Get out there and feel it, if you don't like it, fine, if it's not what you're used to, take what you can from it and forget the rest, if it's utter crap, don't go back. But sitting there and making claims from of all things, a TV News report, says and means nothing.

As one who has also had to cooperate in media coverage of my events when a J.A.A. Shihan recently visited, the difference between what is recorded and what is shown can be very great indeed. It's sort of like reality TV, what is shown tends to be skewed to illustrate the point that the producer is trying to make, but it is passed off as "reality". Which also lends to the question of how unreal some people's view of "reality" may actually be. Representation of the facts by the media comes in a far second, maybe third place.

I'm no fan of Hippy New Age Fruity Aikido either, but I don't think that one should make complete judgements on a person's skill level and training reputation based on a short video clip. Depending on the 3 minutes you get if you come to our dojo, all you may see is Ukemi practice and stretching - is that all there is to Aikido? I think not. So 3 minutes of observation when someone else decides what you see in fact says nothing about the essence of what you are looking at.

Just my thoughts.
LC

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!