Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-04-2007, 06:43 PM   #51
Avery Jenkins

Dojo: Litchfield Hills Aikikai
Re: why did you start aikido?

I was walking from my Boston apartment to the pizza joint on the corner, and ended up getting in the middle of a knife fight from which I luckily escaped uninjured. I wisely thought that I may not be so lucky next time.

I had seen aikido previously, and felt the art matched with my philosophy (I was already practicing Zen at the time). So I enrolled at the New England Aikikai, went to 6 classes, dropped out.

Couldn't get aikido out of my head. 3 years later I started again, in Connecticut. This time it stuck.

Avery Jenkins
www.averyjenkins.com
Old 10-04-2007, 09:46 PM   #52
peejaymc
United_States

I was in a relationship with this guy that said he knew aikido (come to find out he's just seen a lot of Seagal movies). Anyway, I was bored one day and looked it up on the internet. Found a school, went, and it looked so cool. I was amazed.

I've stayed with aikido because it has done something in me.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:01 PM   #53
Shannon Frye
Dojo: Aikido Fellowship of VA / Chesapeake Va
United_States

2 reasons -

I couldn't find a decent Judo dojo around here
and

I wrote a book review of Aikido Basics on my blog, and had my review critiqued by the author himself. That was great motivation to "get on the mat and train".

"In the end there can be only one"

www.AikidoFellowship.com
Old 10-12-2007, 06:14 PM   #54
Carlos Rivera

Dojo: Aikido in Savannah
United_States

Main reasons-

a) to save my knees (all that TaeKwonDo was doing a number on them)

b) to keep practicing into my "golden years" (that means past 90)

c) to get rid of a beer belly (got rid of it, and then discovered lots of Aikido folks like that "biru")

d) to meet new friends (some are more like family)

So far so good, the knees are holding up great, I have trained for a while and made great friends in different places, and I am halfway to my "golden years" goal!!
Old 10-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #55
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Around the time I was in 5th grade, I saw an ad in a comic book: "Combat Aikido". For some reason (karma?) the word stuck into my head. Twenty years later, I saw the word again, on a flyer. I signed up. 23 years later, I am still signed up.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 10-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #56
Dewey
United_States

Quote:
Shannon Frye wrote: View Post
2 reasons -

I couldn't find a decent Judo dojo around here
and

I wrote a book review of Aikido Basics on my blog, and had my review critiqued by the author himself. That was great motivation to "get on the mat and train".
Sweet!!!!

On a different note: I love you're signature. I prefer: "atemi's not having to say that you're sorry."
Old 10-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #57
Flaria

Dojo: Summerland/Kelowna Dojo
Canada

To get excersise! Now i've been drawn in by Aikido's super-amazing-awesomeness-of-all-time! <3<3<3

"Those who are possessed by nothing possess everything. "

-Morihei Ueshiba
Old 10-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #58
senseimike

Dojo: Rising Star Aikido
United_States

This is an easy question to answer for me.... about 17 years ago, when I was just an akward teenager, my dad said "Get in the god damned truck." We headed to a new dojo in the area and the rest is, as they say, history.

Mike Taylor
Godan
Chief Instructor, Rising Star Aikido
South Bend, Nebraska, USA
www.risingstaraikido.com
Old 10-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #59
Mary Turner
Dojo: Joshinkan
United_States

The mixed martial arts school I previously attended closed due to lack of students funds. My sensei recommended Aikido, and said, "This guy Bill Bunn, he's a stickler for details".. What an understatement! But I am a better student for it.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:21 PM   #60
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

I was interested in the concept of Ki and felt it could best be understood by practicing an art. I was warned off learning Tai Chi since I was considered "Japanese" and the teacher I wanted to study with had a tough time during WWII while in China.

One day I was looking though The Whole Earth Catalog and saw an article about the book Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere. Since this martial art was suppose to use Ki, I thought I'd give it a try. I went for a few months, then left to join the Army. Years later I started again with the Chicago Ki Society.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 10-16-2007, 04:40 AM   #61
Ika
Dojo: Shudokan Indonesia
Indonesia

I strated aikido...hmmm i just tried...no purpose...
But now, i really love aikido ! i dont know why...
Still red belt, but i will keep practice to get the higher level...
Sorry if my english is bad...
Old 10-16-2007, 12:40 PM   #62
kenshi07

United_States

My body really hasn't ever been up to par with my friends, I've had some problems and that made we want to make myself more fit and able to take care of myself. So I had begun looking into the martial arts. Along comes an anime (Ruroni Kenshin) and I am even more inspired to look into a way not only to protect myself but others too. And so I begin looking deeper in to budo specifically kendo, but eventually Aikido catches my attention and I lock on too it. But I was so far from any dojo, all i could do was read. Then came college and the Aikido dojo here at Fort Hays was actually one of the things that attracted me here.(and it was cheap) And I've been at it for about 3 months and I never want to stop! I want to grow old and roll into eternity!
Old 10-16-2007, 01:08 PM   #63
hkronin
Dojo: Seikeikan
United_States

I saw Gino Felino beat up a bunch of guys in "Out for Justice" and thought it looked cool. "Has anybody seen Richie???"

Seriously though; I trained in Kenpo for many years, but I wanted to try something new. I managed a large retail store where we were constantly dealing with and restraining shoplifters. I couldn't exaclty hit them in the throat, or kick them in the groin, and these non-lethal scenarios showed me some areas where I could really benefit from something like Aikido.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:31 PM   #64
Kakita

Dojo: Cleadon
United Kingdom

I had a bad expeience going home a few months ago . I made a decison to learn some self defence, and a good friend of mine pointed me at this thing called Aikido. Well I would say she sent me off to it. But no, she pretty much dragged me kicking and screaming onto the mat. *looked like this on the first session)
Going to have to say it wasn't a bad choice. Loving every minute of it!

If at first you fall, remember to Ukemi.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!