Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 10-24-2003, 01:02 PM   #26
indomaresa
Dojo: Aiki Kenkyukai
well, if we're going to talk about martial art philosophy....

The techniques & training are different, but the BUDO ( warrior path ) is the same.

All japanese MA has the same goal, the enlightenment. The understanding. The level where you can destroy your opponent just by thinking about it - and not wanting to do it (just like in the stories). Again, they're all BUDO.

What's different in Aikido from other martial art? That depends... Basic Aikido is purely technique. The sequences are; contact-cause kuzushi-throw or contact-joint lock. We do know that O'sensei `combined` several different martial art into the aikido we know and love. This part of aikido is similar to several other martial arts. But after several years training you'll PROBABLY stumble upon or be taught gazillions of other secrets like musubi, awase, takemusu aiki, etc etc etc etc etc. This is what makes aikido unique.

Aikido is DIFFERENT from most martial art because it emphasizes harmony. The way we train aikido shows that fact.

Chinese Tai Chi is very similar to Aikido, like a long lost sister. The harmony concept also appears there. But there's no Budo, so I guess that will make a difference.

Chin Na, is a joint lock and unbalancing martial art, VERY similar to aikido. But there's no harmony there. No Budo either.

Mr. Kuo here seems to have a wide experience / knowledge of different MA. Hence his opinion. But I do believe that there's a LOT in Aikido you can't find anywhere else. ( watch o'sensei videos, you'll see )

To Reza; Jedi-Ryu Aikido? What a concept! hmm... I can imagine it already...

may the ki be with you too Reza.

-still a star wars fans-

Last edited by indomaresa : 10-24-2003 at 01:10 PM.

The road is long...
The path is steep...
So hire a guide to show you the shortcuts
Old 10-24-2003, 02:41 PM   #27
John Boswell

Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
JK,

My apologies to you.

I made it a special point to track down this this thread as my words the other day were rather harsh... and I really wanted to know what you had to say.

In my own defense, just reading that first post of yours (the first and only post of yours I could recall at that time) left me with the distinct impression that you were out to trash Aikido and generalize it in and with any and all other martial arts. Though I have only a couple years familiarity with Aikido itself, my understanding on the philosophy behind it has a greater number of years and that's why I latched on as strongly to Aikido the way I have.

Why couldn't you have been so well spoken earlier as you were just now??? I look over the two posts and its two different people to me... sorta.

BUT... my original reaction to your post was harsh and I do apologize. Your humor was lost on me and I missed a great deal of what you were REALLY saying as opposed to what I thought I had read.

Anyhow... all that behind us, I get where you are coming from now and am sorry for the misunderstanding and any hurt feelings! I'll shuddup now and go pass judgement somewhere else.

/bonk self

Laters!

Last edited by John Boswell : 10-24-2003 at 02:44 PM.

Old 10-24-2003, 09:03 PM   #28
jk
John, it's not a big deal; happens all the time on web forums...my adolescent self seems to take over the keyboard when I really should be holding my tongue. Kinda had it coming.

Hi Maresa, some would find fault with your description of Tai Chi and Chin Na, but that's life. I was a Star Wars fan too, until the new movies came out...
Old 10-25-2003, 04:28 AM   #29
TomanGaidin
A little off topic, but... is it just me, or would a Jedi-Ryu MA be interesting? No doubt it's the Star Wars geek within me. Each Jedi seems to have their own distinctive 'style' in the films, yet they're all taught by masters at a very young age, so by adulthood they'd no doubt have developed their own twist on things.

I can imagine a Jedi-Ryu'd be mostly swordplay mingled with a bit of basic hand to hand, alongside ki - I mean Force - training. If I'm not mistaken, the fight between Obi Wan and Vader in the first (Ep4: ANH) Star Wars film was roughly based around kendo. Speaking of Star Wars MAs, though, there is one mentioned in the extended universe... Teras Kasi. Sounds a little like a futuristic form of Krav Maga.

Ahem. Anyway, that aside, in fifty years I honestly think aikido will be much the same. Each student who goes on to teach seems to develop their own interpretation of the art, but for the most part this seems to be differences in training method/emphasis. The core, IMHO, would remain the same even after all of fifty years. Though don't take my word for it - I'm horrible when it comes to answering questions like these.
Old 10-25-2003, 02:45 PM   #30
indomaresa
Aha! my opinion exactly chris.

there's sooo many similarity between aikido and the jedi arts. it's hard not to notice them. (other than the telekinetic part, that is - but who knows? maybe aikido can do that too)

John Kuo; I am being very general and described the mentioned martial arts from passing recognition only. Very very passing.

Like a gust of wind in a lonely desert.

Unheard and forgotten. ^_^

What caught me from star wars is the story and concept anyway, so it doesn't really matter how they botched it. The fact that it has light sabers is enough for me

Maresa

The road is long...
The path is steep...
Old 10-25-2003, 03:41 PM   #31
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States
Do you think it is an accident that Star Wars so closely resembles Aikido and Eastern Philosophy?

George Lucas studied intently classic film and mythology and eastern philosophy.

He basically combined the films of Kurosawa and the Writings of Josephy Campbell to produce star wars which was really just a conglomeration and was very successful.

In a way he was the 20th Century Chaucer!

Old 10-26-2003, 06:59 AM   #32
indomaresa
I wonder what rank is Darth Vader?

8th Dan - Dark Jedi?

The road is long...
The path is steep...
Old 10-26-2003, 08:27 PM   #33
sanosuke
Dojo: Seigi Dojo
Indonesia
he should've wear metal hakama instead of that mask
Old 10-27-2003, 05:29 AM   #34
TomanGaidin
Darth Vader would more likely be about the 3rd or 4th Dan level, really. Palpatine would probably be around 6th or so. Luke.. possibly a shodan, in the RotJ era ;p. Now, Yoda... 9th Dan or so, I'm sure .

Just a thought - maybe we could concoct a Jedi-Ryu - all we'd have to do is mix some sword arts with Yellow Bamboo.

Last edited by TomanGaidin : 10-27-2003 at 05:32 AM.
Old 10-27-2003, 05:11 PM   #35
Lan Powers
Dojo: Aikido of Midland, Midland TX
Yellow Bamboo!!! *snort, snort, choke*

Lord knows you gotta LOVE that crap!

Lan

Play nice, practice hard, but remember, this is a MARTIAL art!
Old 10-31-2003, 09:07 PM   #36
indomaresa
Use the ki luke, Use the ki

-obi wan-

The road is long...
The path is steep...
Old 11-01-2003, 09:35 AM   #37
fjcsuper

I think maybe in 50 years, advanced technology may enable us to train using virtual reality...

Maybe you will be able to make up any type of attack scenario, like multiple attackers, or virtual ukes with a certain MA background, weapon attacks, or simply any random 'person' on the streets.

And of course... with full 3D video playback!

It is inevitable.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:43 AM   #38
markwalsh
Dojo: Airenjuku Brighton
United Nations
Was discussing this with some friends and someone mentioned that sensei could have a suit that controlled the movement of his/ her students suits (smart gis), thus speeding up the learning process. We generally agreed that this was missing the point and was a bad idea.

I've heard a dojo seriously discuss a live web cam, internet link up to a sensei who lives far away. Anyone done this yet?

On the VR front (Matrix style) you could also kill your ukes, but I think that'd be missing the point big time!

Mark

x
Old 11-02-2003, 03:57 AM   #39
indomaresa
Well, the gi idea can be modified, allowing the gi to beep everytime you did a technique incorrectly. ( imagine that.. hahaha )

We could program the gi with different Software. Just download the data to the obi through a USB port. ( that's where the Pentium XV Processor is located )

^_^

The road is long...
The path is steep...
Old 11-15-2003, 09:41 PM   #40
Usagi Yojimbo
Dojo: Shinkikan Aikikai Aikido of Corpus Christi
Gi's will have smart padding so as to not hamper movement while providing maximum protection from falls up to 50 ft onto solid concrete. And may also have built in strnegth enhances to enable hip throws sending a weight of up to a 250lb Uke 50 feet in the air. These same enhancements will also provide for reaction enhancement, enabling new, anti-firearm techniques, and other techniques to teach how to catch swords or Tanto's with your bare hands. Mats will provide adjustable comforts, and may be disbanded entirely for pratice upon hover platforms, leading to the devlopment of shape holding Hakamas to prevent those awkward, Marilyn Monroe shots of the Sensei...

My head hurts...
Old 11-16-2003, 01:57 AM   #41
Talon

Dojo: Aikido Zenshin Dojo
Canada
The best way too analyze the future is to look at the past. How much has AIKIDO really changed in the last 50 years?

My guess is it will change about the same in the next 50 years.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:55 AM   #42
indomaresa
After coming across multiple threads on ki, I got an idea..

fifty years from now..

what about Ki detection meter? It'll be like an electronic eye patch, which will enable us to see our partner's ki level.

It can be shown in digital numbers.

-my ki is 85, what's yours?-

or

-did you see that shihan? his ki meter jumped to 700 during the embukai-

The road is long...
The path is steep...
Old 11-19-2003, 01:50 PM   #43
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
You've been watching too many Dragonball-Z.

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/
Old 11-19-2003, 02:44 PM   #44
fvhale
Dojo: none
Please help clueless geezer--

could someone briefly explain to me what is Dragonball-Z? I've seen it mentioned a few times on Aikiweb. Why does it come up in modern discussions of ki? Don't have a clue what it is. I have seen the cute Pokeman characters, but they never seem to get into ki discussions. (p.s. this clueless monastic stopped watching television during the Watergate hearings.)

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2003, 05:42 PM   #45
indomaresa
no problem grandpa

it's one of those popular futuristic japanese animation where people fight using enourmous ki blasts.

Lot's of reference to Ki shows there, as well as its various amazing manifestations. Flying, teleportation, etc

Howling good fun too...

The road is long...
The path is steep...
Old 11-19-2003, 05:43 PM   #46
indomaresa
no problem grandpa ^_^

it's one of those popular futuristic japanese animation where people fight using enourmous ki blasts.

Lot's of reference to Ki shows there, as well as its various amazing manifestations. Flying, teleportation, etc

Howling good fun too...

The road is long...
The path is steep...
Old 11-25-2003, 10:57 PM   #47
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
I hope that aikido will reach it's full potential as a tool for education and communication.

I hope that as the United States government (State level especially) gradually regulates the martial arts all things go smoothly for dedicated aikidoka.

I hope that for every piece of old aikido we lose, we add something new and relevant to our ever changing world.

"The martial arts progress from the complex to the simple."
Old 11-26-2003, 06:06 AM   #48
paw
Excuse me.....
Quote:
Dragonball originally aired in 1997. The series, Dragonball, Dragonball Z, Dragonball GT, span over 100 episodes and basically focus on an alien sent to Earth to as a child to conquer the planet. Recently, the stories have been optioned for a live action movie, tenatively scheduled for 2004.

Dragonball has a

huge list of characters But you can get the general idea by reading about Goku and Vegeta (best redemption ever).

Regards,

Paul
Old 11-26-2003, 10:46 AM   #49
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States
You can purchase the first live action movie at www.taiseng.com

"The martial arts progress from the complex to the simple."
Old 12-04-2003, 11:18 PM   #50
indomaresa
quote: span over 100 episodes and basically focus on an alien sent to Earth to as a child to conquer the planet.

that sounds like a review for a science fiction movie.

Dragonballz is a fantasy futuristic story about fighting, saving the world and (again) totally outrageous fight scenes

quote: Recently, the stories have been optioned for a live action movie, tenatively scheduled for 2004.

Let's hope not, they've already butchered Street Fighter into mincemeat

The road is long...
The path is steep...

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!