Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 05-09-2003, 08:32 PM   #26
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
I have a friend who's had a hemp gi for at least five years (don't know where he got it), but it became to tight (shrunk) and he had to sell it. Said it was one of the best gi's he ever had.

Someone has obviously been selling them for awhile; you might want to check into suppliers.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:31 PM   #27
shadow
Dojo: Aiki Kun Ren (Iwama style)
great to know.

by sometime next year i think i will be in a position to sell overseas should the market be big enough.

after i have this next batch made for my dojo i'll take some photo's to show to people who are interested.

they are modelled on the thinner karate type gi but as its hemp its much much stronger.

thanks for your response

happiness. harmony. compassion.
--damien--
Old 05-10-2003, 01:03 AM   #28
Kelly Allen
Dojo: Friends Dojo
Tongue

If I had a Gi like that I'd have to be quite about what it's made of or my frienda and relitives would try to smoke it.
Old 05-10-2003, 05:10 PM   #29
Michael Neal
Good grief, if someone wants to buy Adidas who cares I was just poking fun of the stripes that I did not like. My wife has an Adidas judogi and it is very goog quality, I buy HSU brand which I suppose is assembled in some factory in Hong Kong. I like some of Bujin's stuff but they are very expensive and I am not convinced is worth the exra cost on all items, my HSU judogis have held up much better than Bujin's gis. There is no way Adidas will put these places out of business as Bujin has a large variety of great products that Adidas will not sell.

Regarding the hemp gi, I guess some of those guys on the west coast probably spend more time smoking their gis than pacticing Aikido. I guess this explains some of the weak Aikido attacks that are being discussed on another thread, it must be hard to commit to a target when you see 3 of them.
Old 05-11-2003, 08:27 AM   #30
Joseph Huebner

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo / Battle Creek, MI
Adidas! Egad!!!

Personally, I wouldn't pay for any aikido accessory with a Nike, Adidas, or any other large corporation's logo affixed to it... Unless they paid me for advertising space.

Joseph Huebner

If you think you can, you will. If you think you won't, you're right.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:59 AM   #31
taras
United Kingdom
funny enough, a similar conversation took place in my dojo a few days ago. I would not wear a dogi with a label myself, but there is a certain type of people who think that if it is made by by a famous company then it's miles better (and that their technique would improve as well )

There is a 12-year old lad in the dojo, he was very excited about an adidas dogi. I think I understand where he is coming from; I used to try and put some kanji on mine when I was his age

On the subject of hemp dogis, a Google search revealed this:

http://www.canada-shops.com/stores/h...p169822.2.html

interesting but I would not pay that much for any type of clothes.
Old 05-12-2003, 09:53 PM   #32
shadow
Dojo: Aiki Kun Ren (Iwama style)
whilst the gi i made is probably not so heavy weight it would be about half (or even less) the price of the ones listed on that web site (postage not considered).

happiness. harmony. compassion.
--damien--
Old 06-23-2004, 12:24 AM   #33
JudoGuy
Dojo: Kirkwood Judo Club of St. Louis
United_States
Re: Adidas attempts to corner Aikido market?

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
Aikido is probably as large as if not larger than judo, in the US at least
While that may, or may not be true remember that Adidas is a French Company. The numbers for Judo, and presumably Aikido, are many times what the are here in the states.

I have been to Aikido Seminars in France with well over 500 people. I am certain that they are thinking world wide, and not specifically the US.

As for those of you worried about Bujin, I wouldn't worry about them. Clearly they have a niche market among the Aikido faithful, and I doubt their number will ever approach what Adidas is already selling in the world wide Judo market.

-Russ (The Judo Guy)
The JudoGi Store
www.judogis.com

May your way be gentle.
Old 06-23-2004, 06:27 PM   #34
Ninja Mike

Dojo: Antigonish Aikikai
Canada

i can understand adidas gi's for judo and tae qon do, because our damn westerner way of thinking has turned them into sports. I would never buy adidas gear for aikido so that aikido does not suffer the same fate as other martial arts.

Before man had guns, he had balls!!!
Old 06-23-2004, 08:21 PM   #35
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan

Quote:
Michael Neal wrote:
I guess this explains some of the weak Aikido attacks that are being discussed on another thread, it must be hard to commit to a target when you see 3 of them.
Ah, bollocks.
Aim for the one in the middle.

The problem is if you only see 2.
Do you need another puff on your gi, or did you knock the middle one out the last time you attacked? ;-)

Do hemp gis come with internal pockets to hold your munchies?

Old 06-23-2004, 09:10 PM   #36
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Mike Bennett wrote:
i can understand adidas gi's for judo and tae qon do, because our damn westerner way of thinking has turned them into sports. I would never buy adidas gear for aikido so that aikido does not suffer the same fate as other martial arts.
So let me get this straight - the choice of clothing company is responsible for the direction a martial art takes.

Personally speaking if the price is right for the look and quality I want - no problem. I see no difference between Adidas and any other number of manufacturers.

I would not worry too much about a small logo - but that is just a matter of taste.

Hemp used to be a major agricultural product way back when Like cotton the fiber was used pretty much everywhere you could think fiber could be used - used quite a bit for ropes. Personally I don't see an advantage over cotton, maybe stronger. Shouldn't be softer.

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-25-2004, 05:54 AM   #37
Bridge
Dojo: Slough Aikikai
United Kingdom

Quote:
Stuart Norton wrote:
Ah, bollocks.
Aim for the one in the middle.

The problem is if you only see 2.
Do you need another puff on your gi, or did you knock the middle one out the last time you attacked? ;-)

Do hemp gis come with internal pockets to hold your munchies?

Did the Adidas brand ever have the same stoner connotations anywhere, that they had in the early nineties UK? I can imagine Adidas Hemp gis now. And people practising ukemi with choccie biscuits falling out!
Old 06-25-2004, 07:14 AM   #38
emptymind
United_States

I purchase Addidas products when it comes to sports, but I wouldn't purchase a Hakama or Gi from the company. I prefer to purchase quality Hakamas or Gi's from shops that specialize in the arts. Respectfully, Student
Old 06-25-2004, 07:31 AM   #39
PeterR

Dojo: Shodokan Honbu (Osaka)
Japan

Quote:
Ernest Morado wrote:
I purchase Addidas products when it comes to sports, but I wouldn't purchase a Hakama or Gi from the company. I prefer to purchase quality Hakamas or Gi's from shops that specialize in the arts. Respectfully, Student
I can understand this. I make a point of going to Ma and Pa stores in the neighbourhood rather than big chains. I bought my hakama from a friend who was selling them didn't even consider shopping around.

Just as long as you know many of these companies get them from the same source - the manufacturing is usually out sourced. I wouldn't be surprised is the same company was making the Adidas brand and name your favorite speciallized brand. Also as far as I understand shops that speciallize in the arts are also selling the Adidas brand.

Errnest your post suggests the Adidas don't produce a quality product. This is the first I heard that there were problems - is this the case?

Peter Rehse Shodokan Aikido
Old 06-25-2004, 09:16 AM   #40
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

Quote:
Peter Rehse wrote:
Errnest your post suggests the Adidas don't produce a quality product. This is the first I heard that there were problems - is this the case?
Not Ernest, but I know some judo guys with Adidas gi and they seem to like them just fine.

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!