Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Open Discussions

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-10-2012, 07:24 AM   #26
genin
United_States
Re: What kind of bullying is this?

In AA, they call this "bigshot-ism". It's being egotistical, self-promoting, self-centered, and all the other me me me stuff. The actual words he is using is not necessarily bullying, but fallacious argumentation. Appealing to authority, appealing to popularity, strawmans, ad-homs, and things like that.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #27
DonMagee
United_States

I don't see that as bullying I see that as a strong argument in a discussion. If that's bullying I really should be banned for the things I've said here.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 02-10-2012, 10:21 AM   #28
Michael Douglas
United Kingdom

Excuse me Roger,
Quote:
Roger Flatley wrote: View Post
In AA, they call this "bigshot-ism". It's being egotistical, self-promoting, self-centered, and all the other me me me stuff. The actual words he is using is not necessarily bullying, but fallacious argumentation. Appealing to authority, appealing to popularity, strawmans, ad-homs, and things like that.
who do you mean?
Old 02-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #29
genin
United_States

Quote:
Michael Douglas wrote: View Post
Excuse me Roger,

who do you mean?
Not sure who exactly, the names and people are irrelevant to me, but based on what the OP wrote, it seemed to apply.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #30
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Roger Flatley wrote: View Post
I think it's hard to avoid self-centered rhetoric when it comes down to comparing personal approaches. I also think conventions in language and interpersonal interaction are the biggest hurdle in this issue. My opinion is that there is a huge amount of talking past each other on this board (really, in any diverse group that is passionate about what it's doing, because the compulsion to express one's own validity is usually stronger than the compulsion to accept whatever is being expressed in the other direction). In a sense, we all understand what we're talking about, even if the terminology and/or semantics aren't the generally accepted ones, because words do not dictate semantics. We form our semantics and agree to affix discrete terms, but the process of understanding/conceptualization isn't so easy to pin down. People seem to want to make their words match up, but I wonder if it would be better to make their semantics match up. I think there would be at least a little more agreement in general.
It's easy to pick apart phrases...particularly when there are a lot to pick through, which is why I have made some efforts to speak in short, concise phrases. Of course that seems to occassionaly imply pithy or snotty "quips." This is another example of why in another thread I suggested it's less important to respond to perceived insults. Ignore them and deal with whatever appears relevant to the discussion.
My two bits have drawn me past my allowance of time, so:
Make a great day, folks!
Matt

Gambarimashyo!
Old 02-11-2012, 05:39 AM   #31
SeiserL

United_States

IMHO, there are always two parts of communication: the sender and the receiver.

What may be aggressive bullying to one is assertive expression to another.

I am against the former and support the later.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 02-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #32
Gary David

United_States

Folks
For all the "talking" that goes on here in this forum...it is just that talking. The talking here centers around the "doing" which happens on the mat, in the dojo, in the street......somewhere that a physical exchange takes place. All of the exchanges that happen here on this forum over the validity of individual approaches to the "doing" or about individual interprtations of the roots of "doing" Aikido are just "talking" and could easily be sorted out by meeting on the mat. For all the offering to meet in neutral sittings these exchanges seem rare and for the most part avoided.

The idea that this forum is a place to exchange ideas and gather information is valid.......though the effort is much like searching for gold......one is going to go through a lot of sand and gravel before finding bits and pieces that have value.

Talking is a good thing, or can be....... for as often as we talk ourselves out of situations we just as often talk our way into them.... Talking is not Aikido...doing is Aikido......

Just of straight
Gary
Old 02-11-2012, 03:05 PM   #33
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Gary Welborn wrote: View Post
Folks
For all the "talking" that goes on here in this forum...it is just that talking. The talking here centers around the "doing" which happens on the mat, in the dojo, in the street......somewhere that a physical exchange takes place. All of the exchanges that happen here on this forum over the validity of individual approaches to the "doing" or about individual interprtations of the roots of "doing" Aikido are just "talking" and could easily be sorted out by meeting on the mat. For all the offering to meet in neutral sittings these exchanges seem rare and for the most part avoided.

The idea that this forum is a place to exchange ideas and gather information is valid.......though the effort is much like searching for gold......one is going to go through a lot of sand and gravel before finding bits and pieces that have value.

Talking is a good thing, or can be....... for as often as we talk ourselves out of situations we just as often talk our way into them.... Talking is not Aikido...doing is Aikido......

Just of straight
Gary
HI Gary,
If you want to find gold amongst the dross remember to take your pick.There is more sand on this forum than a camel finds in the Sahara. The odd gem of wisdom occasionally surfaces but
it sure takes a bit of time scouring the landscape.As far as people meeting in a neutral place it can be done, but sometimes this idea is looked upon as something like Custer and Sitting Bull meeting at the Little Big Horn for a social night.I and my colleagues have made various attempts in our area to promote aikido and we want to welcome people who share our passion.Sad to say this has had so far limited success.I often wonder what it take to generate enthusiasm for this activity nowadays.
We have a 6hr session this Sunday Body Art , Weapons, possibly Batto Ho. Contacted some local groups , must see how they respond. Cheers, Joe.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!