Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #26
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom
Re: I am alive

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
Yes that's right Jo!! It can have the tendency to take over everything else.... When I think of all the lost holidays I could have had, the time and money it has cost me, I look back and think I was stark raving mad, but I still practice....
Hi Tony,
For the past 13 years and longer I have gone to the British Birankai Summer School in July /Aug. with the BIG BOSS{My missus]. I totter around the tatami, moving?my weary , empty husk of a body, while she who must be obeyed [or corporal punishment is administered] video tapes hours of Aikido.I then go back to my pad[70s speak/hippie?] and tire out my brain cell editing said video material. Now is that not an insane way to spend a few weeks ?
Should be sitting in a bar with a Rum /Coke in one hand and a
large slab of of barbequed chicken /pork/ steak [maybe all three] in the other mitt listening to Des O.Connor /Max Bygraves records.Maybe even trying the Slosh.Guess I qualify for the funny farm.Have a nice day.Joe.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #27
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Hi Tony,
For the past 13 years and longer I have gone to the British Birankai Summer School in July /Aug. with the BIG BOSS{My missus]. I totter around the tatami, moving?my weary , empty husk of a body, while she who must be obeyed [or corporal punishment is administered] video tapes hours of Aikido.I then go back to my pad[70s speak/hippie?] and tire out my brain cell editing said video material. Now is that not an insane way to spend a few weeks ?
Should be sitting in a bar with a Rum /Coke in one hand and a
large slab of of barbequed chicken /pork/ steak [maybe all three] in the other mitt listening to Des O.Connor /Max Bygraves records.Maybe even trying the Slosh.Guess I qualify for the funny farm.Have a nice day.Joe.
I'm already there......
Old 03-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #28
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mary Simonsen wrote: View Post
Hmmm Good Idea with the Jo. I would have to use the Jo outside though.. (hehe) last time I used bokken outside the neighbors thought I was casting a spell on my garage. I am thinking about clearing out space in my garage or planting really tall flowers for my deck.. I wish I had a private place to practice .. I love being outside!

good point about left handed though .. I don't want one arm to be stronger than the other.. My Bokken really does weigh a ton.. I might have to put it on the scale tomorrow and see how much it truly weighs.
I have a nice backyard with a panoramic view right across Winchester... The neighbours think I'm an absolute looney when they see me belting away with my bokuto and jo. I just keeep going till the other boss in the house says " Oi yer dinners getting cold"
They sometimes worry a little when I start practising iaido with my
trusty meat cleaver. As Joe se's, "She who must be obeyed"
"I hope you haven't cut the cats in half or you will be having them for tomorrows lunch" Wonder what that would taste like in a stir fry?
Old 03-10-2011, 05:54 AM   #29
sakumeikan
Dojo: Sakumeikan N.E. Aikkai .Newcastle upon Tyne.
United Kingdom

Quote:
Attilio Anthony John Wagstaffe wrote: View Post
I have a nice backyard with a panoramic view right across Winchester... The neighbours think I'm an absolute looney when they see me belting away with my bokuto and jo. I just keeep going till the other boss in the house says " Oi yer dinners getting cold"
They sometimes worry a little when I start practising iaido with my
trusty meat cleaver. As Joe se's, "She who must be obeyed"
"I hope you haven't cut the cats in half or you will be having them for tomorrows lunch" Wonder what that would taste like in a stir fry?
Tony,
Just pop along to the nearest Chinese Takeaway , put in an order , and you might [if your lucky ] get an answer to your query about the moggie stir fry. Joe.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:35 AM   #30
lbb
United_States

Get a room, guys.
Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 AM   #31
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Joe Curran wrote: View Post
Tony,
Just pop along to the nearest Chinese Takeaway , put in an order , and you might [if your lucky ] get an answer to your query about the moggie stir fry. Joe.
Ha! the worst bit is when you are chewing away and find a claw or the odd whiska in it....
Old 03-10-2011, 08:03 AM   #32
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mary Malmros wrote: View Post
Get a room, guys.
Shouldn't that be get a life?.....?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:27 AM   #33
Diana Frese
Dojo: Aikikai of S.W. Conn. (formerly)
United_States

Wow the memories! Training camps in Florida. Sometimes Aikido provides an opportunity for travel, but now we can't afford it either.

But the backyard practice can be nice too.

Someone said the more you put into Aikido the more you get back from it. I remember skating up sixth Avenue on geta (Japanese wooden shoes) when I was in training shape. However my husband and I think three classes a day is plenty. I read the NYA uchideshis these days take five .....

Yes this is a very inspiring topic .....
Old 03-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #34
Tony Wagstaffe
United Kingdom

Quote:
Diana Frese wrote: View Post
Wow the memories! Training camps in Florida. Sometimes Aikido provides an opportunity for travel, but now we can't afford it either.

But the backyard practice can be nice too.

Someone said the more you put into Aikido the more you get back from it. I remember skating up sixth Avenue on geta (Japanese wooden shoes) when I was in training shape. However my husband and I think three classes a day is plenty. I read the NYA uchideshis these days take five .....

Yes this is a very inspiring topic .....
If you think about it Dianne aikido can be practised anywhere. How you go about it is entirely up to you. Any space can be a dojo...
Take Tomiki Sensei when he was incarcerated after the war.....

http://shodokanaikido.es/?p=1063
Old 03-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #35
Conrad Gus

Dojo: Victoria Family Aikido
Canada

Quote:
Mary Simonsen wrote: View Post
Hey conrad! I have done over 200 subiri three times since my last post.. I am starting to just quit counting cuts and start counting minutes bwahaha.
Good for you! It might be a good idea to get someone to check your form pretty soon. If you can make any improvements you will get more benefit from the practice and your tachi waza will improve too.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #36
nuxie

Dojo: Aikido of Evansville
United_States

HA Well I am so glad to see everyone's post. I have started Iaido now with watkins sensei. I still stink at it but he is very patient. I have to take a bit of a break as I have developed blisters in the palm of my right hand this week. HAHA. I have to tell you I am still as inspired as I was when I posted this. I think I am actually more inspired. I train as often as I can. Every single opportunity. I have even started to train as I do housework. moving around my house in hamni and doing the foot changes, I wipe the counters off using the rowing exercise ( takes a bit longer but it is more fun) I sweep and mop like I am holding a jo and stepping accordingly.( got a bit carried away with the mop and made quite a mess once ) I don't get to travel yet but I am sure that will come with time. I was able to attend/uke for my classmates test for 3rd kyu and it was a great experience. I love it. I get to go train for a couple more hours tomorrow! YAY! I am lucky to be able to spend so much time training without it interfering with my other job duties as a homemaker. So I plan to soak it up while I can because that may not always be the case. It is only ever a waste of time if you don't enjoy what you are doing.

Mary

Mary

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!