Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #26
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States
Re: Aikido and Weight Lifting

I would point out three cautions against traditional resistance weightlifting (machine or free-weights) that isolates specific muscle groups. It is not a counsel against weightlifting but about choosing how to exercise and which excercises to choose. The issues are three-fold:

1) Symmetry vs. asymmetry
2) Planar stress versus torsional stress
3) Leverage versus shear

Traditional resistance lifting uses many symmetrical exercises engaging the body using both sides in the same mode and direction of action. Aiki focusses more on using the body to maximize asymmetry of action -- so that different parts of the body are maximizing compression and tension respectively at the same time in modes of action that are not in the same direction or manner. For reasons of torsional action many of the stresses in aiki cross over -- engaging the opposing sides' upper and lower quadrants in the same stress, unlike traditional lifting which tends to engage the an upper or lower limb in isolation or together in symmetrical lifting and under the same stress.

Traditional weightlifting tends to emphasize planar action in a linear sweep without torsion. The reasons for this are several. Because in emphasizing leverage (see the last point below), torsion and its shear action is very dangerous to the loaded joints in this manner of action, and must be avoided. However, the joints are actually grown to handle torsional stresses in another mode, though they are also weakest in torsional resistance, and this is both used and exploited in aiki. Secondly, the common technique of isolating muscle groups in each exercise requires limiting the degrees of freedom of the limb -- which tend naturally to switch load from muscle group to muscle group, and the exercise thus causes a linear approach to loads that is the opposite of the body's natural proclivity -- which is to engage many groups at once or in a progressive sequence.

Lastly, leverage is emphasized in traditional weightlifting. This is not a concern with some of the older forms of weight exercises noted above like the mace, and the Bulgarian bag and ropes, or a heavy iron bar ( padded ) for suburi, which is my favorite,. Kettle bells also tend to serve well although they can also be used in isolating leverage exrcises. The principle of leverage requires that the muscles of the limb opposed to the primary lever action be used to stabilize the joint against the shear created by the leverage. This makes the loaded joint exceptionally vulnerable to added shear -- such that it may be easily buckled.

Apart from the inefficiency in energy terms of having half the muscles stopping action from occurring -- if the countering stabilization effort did not exist, the shear created by initially poising a leverage would cause a different type of movement. This movement is characteristic of aiki, and should be cultivated -- not eliminated -- by the exercises chosen.

Last edited by Erick Mead : 09-22-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:10 AM   #27
Michael Hackett
Dojo: Kenshinkan Dojo (Aikido of North County) Vista, CA

Mary,

I have a friend in a similar situation here. His solution is kettlebells. He bought a light one and started using it at home and has progressed up to a 45 pounder in the last couple of years. That doesn't sound like much, but the exercises really work the core muscles and you can get a killer work-out. He isn't buffed out, but is wiry and incredibly strong as a result. I think he told me that he does about 30 minutes a day on his off days. I have a couple of the KBs and use them in my short routine on aikido days. Take a look at YouTube for an idea if you aren't familiar with them. Biking in Boston won't last much longer, will it? If nothing else, a heavy rope for skipping rope can work up your cardio indoors.

Unless you're lifting for incredible mass, the soreness you may feel is really transient and goes away with a short warm-up. Good luck in finding a routine that works for you.

Michael
"Leave the gun. Bring the cannoli."
Old 09-22-2009, 10:29 AM   #28
thisisnotreal

fwiw; i would recommend checking out pavel tsatsouline's "naked warrior". His theory: a warrior should always have what he needs to train (e.g. even if naked). he explains the method using 2 specific exercises (1 arm pushup and pistols (1 leg squat)). you can definitely get a training effect with these two alone. It is tough. it is not enough, but these two whole-body movements will challenge you...the book is interesting...definitely worth a read. there are copies floating around the web. There are some interesting ideas about power and tension generation in the body. fwiw; as i say..
good luck.
Josh
Old 09-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #29
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Erick, I have to disagree with you. You are talking about modern weight training, which is what is exemplified by the smith machine and all the other machines in a modern gym. Traditional strength training is completely different. Old school training doesn't isolate muscles at all, it simply uses multi-articulate movements to train powerful capacities along the lines of action upon which the human body is already designed to operate. They promote tremendous capacity for transferring power which is very applicable to internal strength and is particularly safe, especially when compared to other activities such as long distance running.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #30
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
Benjamin Edelen wrote: View Post
Erick, I have to disagree with you. You are talking about modern weight training, which is what is exemplified by the smith machine and all the other machines in a modern gym. Traditional strength training is completely different. Old school training doesn't isolate muscles at all, it simply uses multi-articulate movements to train powerful capacities along the lines of action upon which the human body is already designed to operate. They promote tremendous capacity for transferring power which is very applicable to internal strength and is particularly safe, especially when compared to other activities such as long distance running.
Well, there is tradition and there is tradition. Perhaps instead of "traditional" I should have said "popular." In my sense, I was meaning dumbells and weight machines and the associated exercises tending to the mechanical in inspiration which have developed since about the early 1900's and the modern "health movement" which dates from that time -- and which have become the standard gym format for most "weightlifting" facilities available to most people. They don't know any other "tradition" older than what their grandparents and great- grandparents might have known.

I do not deny that the much older (and largely ethnic, and therefore not well known) strength training traditions do not suffer from the same problems I noted. They are more often closely allied to traditional forms of manual work. The Bulgarian bag is handled as one would load a pack animal or cart, much as O Sensei advocated farming for general exercise (physical and spiritual, IMO). Anyone who has busted a concrete slab with a 15# sledge can sympathize with the action of mace exercises. I know I can ...

Last edited by Erick Mead : 09-22-2009 at 11:26 AM.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #31
bkedelen

Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
United_States

Now we are on the same page. Traditional methods are gaining in popularity these days. It is no longer hard to find a place to do russian kettlebell training, for instance. Also I appreciate you mentioning Osensei's using farming as a conditioning method. He even had extra-heavy farm implements made as his training tools. To me this emphasizes that martial artists should investigate old school functional training (functional as in mimicking regular tasks, not functional as in Bosu Balls) as a means of working on their weaknesses.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #32
John Matsushima

United_States

I think weight lifting is necessary to build up the body to be able to take a hit.

-John Matsushima

My blog on Japanese culture
http://onecorneroftheplanetinjapan.blogspot.jp/
Old 09-22-2009, 11:59 AM   #33
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

While I don't necessarily do Aikido, I'd offer that anyone that's starting to work on "Kokyu-ryoku" or any other form of internal strength should probably stay away from weight training in the beginning.

Retraining yourself to not use the shoulders is a "#Rch and a half by itself as it is. Pretty much any form of weight training which involves the shoulders simply compounds the issue.
Old 09-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #34
dps

Quote:
Erick Mead wrote: View Post
They are more often closely allied to traditional forms of manual work. The Bulgarian bag is handled as one would load a pack animal or cart, much as O Sensei advocated farming for general exercise (physical and spiritual, IMO). Anyone who has busted a concrete slab with a 15# sledge can sympathize with the action of mace exercises. I know I can ...
The movements in this 'Primal Nature Workout' reminds me a lot of the farm work I did.
What do you think of the rope power waves in the beginning of the video and at 3:00 minutes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDN9h...e=channel_page

David

Last edited by dps : 09-22-2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #35
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
The movements in this 'Primal Nature Workout' reminds me a lot of the farm work I did.
What do you think of the rope power waves in the beginning of the video and at 3:00 minutes?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDN9h...e=channel_page

David
I use ropes and chains to illustrate structural disruption, how to lift or drop structure without levering, and the feeling of the resonance action trained by furitama and tekubifuri. Things like the undulating ropes in the video are not analogies -- they are the same action, different frequency -- closer to funetori, or in the alternating mode, like tenchinage in place. I have done this with loose chains to a fixed support (attached to an eyebolt through-bolted with plate washers, or at least a six-inch lag eye -- you can work a three-inch lag-eye out of wood very easily.

So ... yeah.

If he did a little work on posture and took that last bit of shoulder tension out and that would be just about right -- basically funetori/funekogi undo -- with ropes -- if done correctly. The bit slamming the medicine ball into the deck (@ 2:40) can be done with a suburito or iron bar on a fixed tire or baled bamboo pell to very good effect, and you basically build up the dropping power/stability in shiko. or if you prefer -- dig some post-holes for a fence.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 09-22-2009, 04:51 PM   #36
Michael Hackett

Erick,

What is a "baled bamboo pell"? I looked for Pell, but Webster's let me down. In context, it sounds like it might be an assembly of the bales.

Michael
Old 09-22-2009, 05:14 PM   #37
Adam Huss

United_States

You guys have some really cool ideas about physical exercise. I'm glad I got involved in this thread.

I think Mr. Mead made a good point about using weight training. Basically the exercises you do are what you are conditioning your body to be good at. So, in a simplistic way, doing bench press makes you better at doing bench press. That is why things involving dynamic and explosive workouts are important as well. Its much less efficient to increase one's explosiveness and power (not strength) by simply only lifting weights. I really do like the multi faceted approach and am excited to try out some of the exercises suggested here.

Someone on the previous page mentioned weight training can lend itself to muscling through techniques (particularly in beginners). Where I see the validity of that concept, I think proper instruction and overwatch by the tetsudai(s) and sensei(s) should allow for identification and correction of muscling.

I think a really important aspect of the 'traditional' (read, O Sensei having pine cones pelted at him and carrying old men on his shoulders from town to town in the cold, and being a lumberjack in Hokkaido) are important in that they harden one's mentality through the bodily experience.

Ichi Go, Ichi Ei!
Old 09-22-2009, 06:44 PM   #38
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
Erick,

What is a "baled bamboo pell"? I looked for Pell, but Webster's let me down. In context, it sounds like it might be an assembly of the bales.
A "pell" is basically something you can whack at for training -- a more general term than makiwara -- it can be vertical, horizontal, angled, fixed, articulated, hung, any number of different configurations --. If you take a bundle of small bamboo thumb-size or less -- say about 5-6 ft. long and bale them closely in a bundle about a foot or more in diameter (torso size, approximately) with twine or rope, binding them around or shoving down on a fixed stake or post (a "pale" like "im-pale" hence "pell") -- or you can lay the bundle horizontally between two crossbucks so that it can flex under impact between them. You can whack at it with fair impunity with a bokken, and it takes a good bit of deflection in the bottom of the strike. It will take quite a while to bust the bamboo down to the point that it has to be replaced, and like a shinai it gets more and more resilient as it gets split under impact. A tire does basically the same thing -- but is harder to mount and has less rarefied Japanese atmosphere -- and I have a good stand of bamboo handy, so it is basically free.

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #39
Adman

United_States

Quote:
Robert John wrote: View Post
While I don't necessarily do Aikido, I'd offer that anyone that's starting to work on "Kokyu-ryoku" or any other form of internal strength should probably stay away from weight training in the beginning.

Retraining yourself to not use the shoulders is a "#Rch and a half by itself as it is. Pretty much any form of weight training which involves the shoulders simply compounds the issue.
And a quote from Ellis in another thread

Quote:
I think Ueshiba was "power proud," - it was hard to let go of his rather massive muscular power - we see him posing for photos in the mid-fifties, in full flex, as cut as a body builder - obviously proud of the red meat he had under the skin.
Relevant to the discussion, I think.

I think weight/resistance training is great for health, quality of life and for looking buff at the pool. However, I've given it up for now. It does get in the way of learning how to use my body in a relaxed, unifed way. Perhaps one day I'll take it up again, and only then with great caution.

Thanks,
Adam
Old 09-22-2009, 07:36 PM   #40
Michael Hackett

Thanks Erick.......back to my Chaucer.

Michael
Old 09-22-2009, 11:14 PM   #41
Erick Mead

United_States

Quote:
Adam Bauder wrote: View Post
Quote:
I think Ueshiba was "power proud," - it was hard to let go of his rather massive muscular power - we see him posing for photos in the mid-fifties, in full flex, as cut as a body builder - obviously proud of the red meat he had under the skin.
Relevant to the discussion, I think.

I think weight/resistance training is great for health, quality of life and for looking buff at the pool. However, I've given it up for now. It does get in the way of learning how to use my body in a relaxed, unifed way. Perhaps one day I'll take it up again, and only then with great caution.
There is a radio interview in O Sensei's later life (80-85) where he remarks on how after the war he almost gave up training because he was losing confidence in his physical power. He remarked on his younger physique and his "rippling muscles" and how in terms of physical power alone he was never defeated by anyone -- but as to his present physique, he chuckled that his rippling muscles had all disappeared and he now had a body "soft like a woman" and "really attractive under his clothes"...

So -- props to the sisterhood ... I guess...

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:35 PM   #42
Suru
United_States

Erick, that pell idea sounds pretty tight. Back in the day, they might have used pells or corpses that had freshly undergone rigor mortis.

Out of curiosity, does someone know how long ago cadavers were used for katana-giri or wakizashi-giri? It seems so barbaric but it might not have been that long ago.

Drew
Old 09-23-2009, 06:44 AM   #43
MM
United_States

As Rob John and Adam Bauder have both noted, weight lifting and aikido typically do not go together.

As Ellis noted about Ueshiba's physical muscles getting in the way. Ueshiba was known for his physical strength, but it completely, 100%, failed him when he met Takeda.

Also noteworthy -- I think it was Tohei talking about going around getting physically stronger (for Judo, I believe) and when he met Ueshiba, his physical strength completely failed him.

Tomiki was a highly skilled Judoka before meeting Ueshiba. Tomiki was tossed like a rag doll all over the place when he met Ueshiba.

Tenryu was big and strong. Again, his physical strength completely failed him when he met Ueshiba.

These people all thought physical strength was the way to be strong ... until they met Takeda, or Ueshiba after he trained with Takeda. And then they trained a very different way. Something to think about ...
Old 09-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #44
DonMagee
United_States

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
As Rob John and Adam Bauder have both noted, weight lifting and aikido typically do not go together.

As Ellis noted about Ueshiba's physical muscles getting in the way. Ueshiba was known for his physical strength, but it completely, 100%, failed him when he met Takeda.

Also noteworthy -- I think it was Tohei talking about going around getting physically stronger (for Judo, I believe) and when he met Ueshiba, his physical strength completely failed him.

Tomiki was a highly skilled Judoka before meeting Ueshiba. Tomiki was tossed like a rag doll all over the place when he met Ueshiba.

Tenryu was big and strong. Again, his physical strength completely failed him when he met Ueshiba.

These people all thought physical strength was the way to be strong ... until they met Takeda, or Ueshiba after he trained with Takeda. And then they trained a very different way. Something to think about ...
That's all well and good as long as you are not using it as an excuse to not be in healthy shape. I hear this crap all the time from guys 50+ pounds over weight. These are the same guys who are worried about self defense and likely to be killed early by heart disease.

I agree that weight lifting as a means of self defense is silly. However, being healthy weight, healthy level of muscle mass and fat can not ever be described as a bad thing. I have not seen any evidence that aikido alone is enough physical exercise to keep someone in healthy shape, especially those of us who live in the USA eating USA diets.

On top of that, strength can be used as a great equalizer. In bjj I was always taught that bjj allows the smaller man to defeat the bigger and stronger man. And it does. Against untrained muscled freaks I do quite well for myself. But as they get better technique and training I find myself now being forced to deal with their proper positioning, technique, AND strength. Being in better physical shape then I am, they have the cardio to outlast me, the technique to understand what I am doing to them, and the physical strength to muscle though it. To counter this I have to get one of two things. Either I have to get in better shape, which is the easy way out, or I have to get better technique. Getting better technique and form is a mountain that gets steeper much much faster.

I don't believe we can all be as great as the masters. I have been playing guitar and taking lessons for 15 years. I don't think I'll ever be SRV good. I'm good, I can play blues, jazz, rock, metal, etc. But SRV had some natural ability that I simply don't. My fingers cramp up easily and my hands are battered and beaten from years of sports that makes it hard to do some things. Other's make it to his level, but they too have some kind of natural ability. They think of things in ways I don't.

So I don't look for a way to be Kimura, Helio, Ueshiba, etc. I look at my traits, what I excel at, and how to build upon those traits. I also look at my weaknesses and how to minimize them. At the same time, when I teach someone, I don't only teach them the things that work for me. I teach them everything I've learned that I've seen work. That way they can invent their own way.

And besides, all the internal power in the world isn't going to help you if you can't jog up a flight of stairs without being so winded you need to sit down

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 09-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #45
Adman

United_States

Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
That's all well and good as long as you are not using it as an excuse to not be in healthy shape. I hear this crap all the time from guys 50+ pounds over weight. These are the same guys who are worried about self defense and likely to be killed early by heart disease.
I haven't heard anyone here state that. I think anyone should stick to their guns doing whatever they think is right for themselves.

Quote:
And besides, all the internal power in the world isn't going to help you if you can't jog up a flight of stairs without being so winded you need to sit down
Well, to each his own, I suppose. I agree that it's better to be healthy than not. Depends on one's goals. All I'm saying is that if someone wants to focus on a specific skill, it may be helpful to remove any unwanted noise. For me, resistance training (for now) is unwanted noise.

Excluding weight training doesn't mean one can't remain trim, healthy and "hard as a coffin nail" .

Thanks,
Adam
Old 09-23-2009, 09:58 AM   #46
John A Butz
Dojo: Itten Dojo, Enola PA
United_States

For what it's worth, the guy I know personally who is most into internal training has lost quite a bit of weight since he took it up, and is considerably stronger then he was before. Of course, he does a LOT of internal work, daily, without fail. The point is, however, that as far as I know from both my experience and that of my peers, proper internal training will result in weight loss, increase in power, general improvement in health, all that stuff.

Of course, if you think you can get all that without a lot of intelligent, hard, sweaty work, then you are wrong.

However, I think that it is possible, if you are sufficently driven and have proper instruction, to completely abandon traditional weight training and work exclusively with internal training, and you will not be one of those unhealthy folks Don mentions above.

I myself have not yet completely given up on some of my normal workout habits, but then again, I find that in virtually everything I do I am too reliant on shoulder power...so my habits seem to be blocking my own progress. Time to re-evaluate and improve.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #47
Michael Hackett

I did notice something two weeks ago while watching the California Nationals BJJ Tournament in Long Beach. In the black belt finals, I saw a significant number of really buffed out guys competing and apparently using a lot of muscle and strength. Oh, the technique was there, at least to my eyes, but there was also a a tremendous amount of just plain brute strength displayed. This was in contrast to a tournament I watched maybe four years ago where everything seemed to be finesse. I mentioned my observations to a friend who is a BJJ instructor and he said that finesse was the absolute answer before, but some really skilled people started doing strength training as well and the additional strength and muscle coupled with their technical skill gave them an advantage. Consequently many competition grapplers are now strength training to level the playing field. Maybe I'm all wrong, but it seemed the game was changing. That said, I'm not a grappler and don't know their art very well, so I could be wrong in my understanding of my observations.

Michael
Old 09-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #48
Upyu
Dojo: Aunkai, Tokyo

Quote:
Mark Murray wrote: View Post
Quote:
Don Magee wrote: View Post
That's all well and good as long as you are not using it as an excuse to not be in healthy shape. I hear this crap all the time from guys 50+ pounds over weight.
One thing that should probably be clarified is that internal strength, while specialized, unusual and etc etc, is still a kind of physical strength. In fact most of the conditioning required to get I.S. up to a usable level is still extremely demanding. We get mma guys that've been lifting for quite a while that tax out in under a minute doing Ark's exercises. Anyone who thinks that they can become superman without putting in the same kind of sweat is in for a rude surprise.

Don, you've just never been exposed to someone with this kind of strength... this kind of strength is just as applicable on the ground as it is standing.
Basically it goes something like this.
Someone with strength but little skill : A
Someone with skill but little strength: B
Someone with strength and skill: C
Someone with Internal strength but little skill: D
Someone with Internal strength and skill: E

A<B<C
C==D
D<E
Or something like that.
Note, that's an extreme generalization and assuming someone of the same weight.
I.S(trength) helps to level the playing field immensely, but you can still get your ass kicked by someone who is both strong and immensely skilled, not to mention heavier than you.
The interesting thing about I.S(trength) is that it opens up avenues for skills that are unavailable to people with just normal strength, simply due to the different nature of the conditioning.

And to be honest, I don't think reaching Ueshiba's level would take as much effort as some people might like to believe (tar and feather me later). Granted, you'd still need to do a lot of work...but if you realize that the guy took nearly 50 years just to figure out the "right" way to train... well most people here and now actually have a leg up on the guy
The question is more like, how badly do you want it?
Old 09-23-2009, 02:57 PM   #49
Kevin Leavitt

Dojo: Team Combat USA
United_States

Don wrote:

Quote:
lol...i concur and my thoughts exactly. two thumbs up!

Rob John wrote:

Quote:
One thing that should probably be clarified is that internal strength, while specialized, unusual and etc etc, is still a kind of physical strength. In fact most of the conditioning required to get I.S. up to a usable level is still extremely demanding. We get mma guys that've been lifting for quite a while that tax out in under a minute doing Ark's exercises. Anyone who thinks that they can become superman without putting in the same kind of sweat is in for a rude surprise.
I also concur with this as well. It was my experiences working with Rob and Ark and a major cause for me re-assessing my value of the things that I do today.

BTW, I don't "lift weights" anymore, especially after doing some of this IS training, it just don't make sense to me anymore.

That is not to say that I believe it is any excuse to not be in shape or well conditioned.

I think what we are looking for is "functional integration" of skills...whatever that may mean.

This was my initial beef with the IS paradigm...alot of folks seemed to be putting alot of emphasis on developing these skills for the sake of the skills themselves, but not alot of ability to demonstrate how you integrate or use this stuff in reality (however you define that).

However, I will tell you that meeting with Mike Sigman, Toby Threadgill, Ark and Rob....well much different experience than I had in the past and they have a healthy perspective on integration and reasonableness of doing so.

Overall though, I agree Don. My experiences have been in the past a bunch of fat middle aged wanna be types in a gi with a red and white belt that fricking couldn't do crap other than a few impressive "tricks".

Ark especially was very brutal and physical in his approach, my body was screaming at me from the postures and movements he had us doing. I think if you train with Ark full time that it would be difficult to be fat and out of shape if you want to gain any real improvements.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #50
Walter Martindale
Canada

Quote:
Michael Hackett wrote: View Post
I did notice something two weeks ago while watching the California Nationals BJJ Tournament in Long Beach. In the black belt finals, I saw a significant number of really buffed out guys competing and apparently using a lot of muscle and strength. Oh, the technique was there, at least to my eyes, but there was also a a tremendous amount of just plain brute strength displayed. This was in contrast to a tournament I watched maybe four years ago where everything seemed to be finesse. I mentioned my observations to a friend who is a BJJ instructor and he said that finesse was the absolute answer before, but some really skilled people started doing strength training as well and the additional strength and muscle coupled with their technical skill gave them an advantage. Consequently many competition grapplers are now strength training to level the playing field. Maybe I'm all wrong, but it seemed the game was changing. That said, I'm not a grappler and don't know their art very well, so I could be wrong in my understanding of my observations.
Had some long arguments with folks in the 1970s about doing strength training to supplement the judo. The "weights makes you slow and stiff" crowd arguing against what was right in front of my eyes (and on top of me, choking me, and/or biffing me around the dojo on a regular basis) - my "sempai" -if you wish- was 5'6", 70 kg (154 lb), could bench press 285 lb, do pull-ups with 120 lb tied to his waist, squat 330 lb (for 5 reps). He could also do the splits, and tie other humans into little knots...
W

Last edited by Walter Martindale : 09-23-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: correcting a spelling boo-boo

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!