Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 09-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #26
dps
Re: thoughts of quitting

If you quit Aikido now you will be banned for the rest of your life from practicing Aikido again.

Naw, just joking.

If Aikido doesn't fit you now then try something else. Try other martial arts until you find an art you like. Once you have a foundation in one martial art then try other arts to complement your foundation. Maybe one of those arts will be Aikido again,

David
Old 09-08-2007, 12:56 PM   #27
Dewey
United_States

In the end, the choice is yours and yours alone. You should never base your decisions on what you read/see on the internet. However, since you asked, I'll give you my solicited opinion as one beginner (less than a year of Aikido myself) to another:

First, presuming you're a grown adult and not an angst-ridden teenager, it's perfectly natural to get extremely frustrated in the beginning when learning so complicated a martial art as Aikido. To learn Aikido as a grown adult requires literally learning how to walk, talk, move and breathe all over again. So, patience is the key.

Second, what are your goals with Aikido and what do you want out of it and what do you expect Aikido to do for you? Other posters have also made this observation. As with any martial art, you figure all of that out the first few months....after you get "a taste" of it. There's no shame in saying "Aikido is not for me." It's just a matter of being honest with yourself and clearly identifying your goals.

Third, no single martial art is the "uber-martial art." Each style was created to address specific tactical scenarios. To expect Aikido to "cover all of the bases" and make you invincible or the ultimate fighter is a bit naive. That's why you crosstrain.

Lastly, so many "ex-Aikidoka" make the mistake of thinking that all Aikido is just like the Aikido they studied at that specific dojo under that specific instructor. Matter of fact, that's how most of the trolls over at Bullshido developed their bias against Aikido. Oftentimes, simply pursuing another instructor at another dojo makes a world of difference and will completely change your mind to the positive (it did for me).

My advice: shop all of the local Aikido dojo, even in the neighboring towns, and see the different styles and instructors and try some of them before you call it quits on Aikido.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:57 PM   #28
Mark Uttech
Dojo: Yoshin-ji Aikido of Marshall

Thinking of quitting never works. It is better to just quit and then see what sort of experience you have.

In gassho,

Mark

- Right combination works wonders -
Old 09-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #29
dps

Time for an inspirational video.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=1

David
Old 09-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #30
dalen7

Dojo: Karcag Aikido Club
Hungary

Im at a loss of words to say really - this isn't a bad thing, probably good actually.

I didnt expect this many responses to the thread in all honesty - just sharing my feelings/experience with Aikido at the time...some great comments indeed, that I tend to agree with.

Overall this has been an opportunity for introspection for me, which has been a good thing.

I am learning quite a bit on different levels and dropping some of my pre-conceived notions about things.

Again, it has been fun to read through the different comments posted - as for me and where I go from here...well, taking things step by step and learning to enjoy, observe and 'live' the present moment. In this, is the key, at least for me - just a matter of integrating this philosophy into every aspect of life until it becomes natural.

Peace

dAlen
Old 09-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #31
mathewjgano

Dojo: Tsubaki Kannagara Jinja Aikidojo; Himeji Shodokan Dojo
United_States

Quote:
Dan Austin wrote: View Post
...All you will build in Aikido is false confidence... There is nothing so amusing on this forum as people who talk about not hurting an attacker, as if they of all martial artists have the ability to be so magnanimous.
I'm all for experiencing different forms of training; I'd even recommend it, but I think you're painting with a wide brush; though obviously you're entitled to your opinion. Not to get off on another topic here, but I wanted to address a couple points.
Confidence is an individual thing and anyone who thinks they're prepared for the unknown is making an assumption, regardess of what art they choose. I've studied nothing but Aikido and I seriously doubt I have false confidences from it.
As for not hurting attackers, i think that's an ideal we strive for and anyone who has studied Aikido long enough recognizes how easy it can be to harm someone...or more to the point, how hard it can be to NOT harm someone when you're twisting limbs this way and that.
Maybe my views are the exception to Aikido?
Take care.

Gambarimashyo!
Old 09-08-2007, 06:54 PM   #32
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
If you quit Aikido now you will be banned for the rest of your life from practicing Aikido again.

Naw, just joking.

If Aikido doesn't fit you now then try something else. Try other martial arts until you find an art you like. Once you have a foundation in one martial art then try other arts to complement your foundation. Maybe one of those arts will be Aikido again,

David
What?! Crap! I'm glad I snuck back in wearing a disguise! ...although I'm tired of being asked if I'm related to Groucho Marx!

Gambarimashyo!
Old 09-08-2007, 11:28 PM   #33
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Dalen Johnson wrote: View Post
as for me and where I go from here...well, taking things step by step and learning to enjoy, observe and 'live' the present moment. In this, is the key, at least for me - just a matter of integrating this philosophy into every aspect of life until it becomes natural.
This is a much more enlightened outlook than that displayed in your first post. It's always good to remember that this whole thing's a journey, and that you should relax and enjoy the scenery along the way.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:49 AM   #34
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

Things like muay thai are a great as a right of passage. Slowly you learn to bang with your training partners, fight, and most importantly (I think) take a beating without letting it affect your center. What I found at the end was a surprise though....I was still just as pissed and scared as when I started! But at least I could knock someone out if I had to
Old 09-09-2007, 07:00 AM   #35
lbb
United_States

Dalen, I remember some of your earlier posts. They, and this one, make me wonder if the heart of your problem is that you're expecting some practice (aikido, in this case) to be all things to you. People can do this successfully -- gain all, or nearly all, of the things that they want from a single practice -- but only if what they want is very simple (and note, "simple" does not mean "easy", nor are simple aspirations by definition trite or trivial). You're after several different things: you want to be able to do realistic self-defense (which, by the way, will be very difficult if you never stop to define what sort of attack you are realistically likely to encounter); you want community; you want to be able to "kick butt"; you want a spiritual practice; you want to be "rooted in peace". It's not unusual for people to start training martial arts with hopes that they'll get all these things -- hey, they do in the movies, right? But it's just not realistic to expect to find all of those things in one practice.

Aikido is a martial art that, if diligently practiced, will eventually give you some ability to defend yourself against certain kinds of attacks. It won't protect you from a bullet, and its effectiveness will always be somewhat limited by your physical constraints and your ability to use your body effectively. It is not a spiritual practice, despite the fact that many practitioners feel (or claim to feel) that they experience some kind of spiritual whatsis in their aikido practice. There is no requirement that an aikido sensei be a priest of some kind, a spiritually enlightened person, or an expert in esoteric practices; therefore, there are few senseis who are qualified to teach in those matters, and most have the humility not to try. Aikido does not cure warts, it does not do windows, and it will not get the crabgrass out of your lawn. It is what it is, and I believe that it is a worthy practice -- one of many.

You may decide to stay, you may decide to go. Either way, I think you would benefit from reexamining exactly what you hope to get out of the various endeavors in your life. Otherwise you will spend your life flitting from one four-to-six month enthusiasm to another, never really delving into any of them deeply enough to realize the gains that each practice has to offer.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:11 AM   #36
dps

Quote:
Lynn Seiser wrote: View Post
I had heard that the grass wasn't greener on the other side of the fence. It is greener where you water it.
Water = practice?

David
Old 09-09-2007, 07:56 AM   #37
Erick Mead

Dojo: Big Green Drum (W. Florida Aikikai)
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
As for not hurting attackers, i think that's an ideal we strive for and anyone who has studied Aikido long enough recognizes how easy it can be to harm someone...or more to the point, how hard it can be to NOT harm someone when you're twisting limbs this way and that.
Maybe my views are the exception to Aikido?
Aikido is love. Who knew Connie Francis secretly practiced Aikido?

"♫You Always Hurt ♪ the One You Love ♫"

Cordially,

Erick Mead
一隻狗可久里馬房但他也不是馬的.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:05 AM   #38
SeiserL

United_States

Quote:
David Skaggs wrote: View Post
Water = practice?
IMHO, yep.

Lynn Seiser PhD
Yondan Aikido & FMA/JKD
We do not rise to the level of our expectations, but fall to the level of our training. Train well. KWATZ!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:00 AM   #39
Dan Austin
United_States

Quote:
Matthew Gano wrote: View Post
Confidence is an individual thing and anyone who thinks they're prepared for the unknown is making an assumption, regardess of what art they choose. I've studied nothing but Aikido and I seriously doubt I have false confidences from it.
Really? Is there no part of you that believes you have more fighting ability now than when you started Aikido? If there is, that is likely to be false confidence.
Old 09-09-2007, 01:34 PM   #40
mathewjgano

United_States

Quote:
Dan Austin wrote: View Post
Really? Is there no part of you that believes you have more fighting ability now than when you started Aikido? If there is, that is likely to be false confidence.
My abilities in coordination and power are definately better now than 10 years ago. I understand how the body works better, yeah. But as for how well I'll fare in a fight, I'm not so naive to think I'm going to do well. Even a person with higher skill can lose to a neophyte given the proper conditions...and that includes more than pysical circumstances...a wayward thought could potentially mean the differece if it's at a bad moment. That is why i doubt I have a false sense of confidence. My odds of protecting myself are better, but even supposing I can handle 99% of the people out there, that doesn't mean I won't fall to that 1%.
To use my own semantic bent: I have worse fighting ability now, perhaps, but I can protect myself better, generally speaking.
Take care

Gambarimashyo!
Old 09-09-2007, 03:02 PM   #41
statisticool
United_States

Quote:
Brian Dewey wrote: View Post
Third, no single martial art is the "uber-martial art." Each style was created to address specific tactical scenarios .
Exactly

The best martial art is the martial art that... wins most sporting events, is most used by police, is most used by armed forces, focuses on techniques banned in martial arts competitions, is most successful against a single opponent, is most successful against multiple opponents, is practiced by most people, uses weapons, trains full contact, trains full resistance, has the most 'you got owned!' videos on YouTube, has the least damning videos on YouTube, trains the largest muscles in the body, has the most emphasis on defense, trains to deliver the most power, you have successfully used in a real-life self defense situation, you can practice throughout your whole life, has the most impressive philosophy, is least interested in strength, gets you in the most meditative state, has the most discipline, has a standardized syllabus all over the world, is the most affordable, is the oldest, practices in a nice environment/facility, is the newest, takes the longest time to master, takes the least amount of time to master, is the most convenient geographically, is held at the most convenient times, is heavily recommended by your friends, confers the most cardiovascular benefits, suits your body type, is open to all ages and genders, originated from a culture you are really interested in, trains using realistic environment and parameters, has the least fraud in it, has the lowest injury rate, is most aesthetic, or simply the one you enjoy.

the answer to each one of these criteria is most likely a different martial art. That is, "best" is relative to specifics.

Consider this: the best martial art is the martial art that meets the most of the above criteria, at a given time, for you.

A secret of internal strength?:
"Let your weight from the crotch area BE in his hands."
Old 09-09-2007, 03:43 PM   #42
dps

Quote:
Justin Smith wrote: View Post
Exactly

The best martial art is the martial art that... wins most sporting events, is most used by police, is most used by armed forces, focuses on techniques banned in martial arts competitions, is most successful against a single opponent, is most successful against multiple opponents, is practiced by most people, uses weapons, trains full contact, trains full resistance, has the most 'you got owned!' videos on YouTube, has the least damning videos on YouTube, trains the largest muscles in the body, has the most emphasis on defense, trains to deliver the most power, you have successfully used in a real-life self defense situation, you can practice throughout your whole life, has the most impressive philosophy, is least interested in strength, gets you in the most meditative state, has the most discipline, has a standardized syllabus all over the world, is the most affordable, is the oldest, practices in a nice environment/facility, is the newest, takes the longest time to master, takes the least amount of time to master, is the most convenient geographically, is held at the most convenient times, is heavily recommended by your friends, confers the most cardiovascular benefits, suits your body type, is open to all ages and genders, originated from a culture you are really interested in, trains using realistic environment and parameters, has the least fraud in it, has the lowest injury rate, is most aesthetic, or simply the one you enjoy.
You forgot, "has the secret to internal strength".

David

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!