Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:26 AM   #26
Ed Stansfield

Dojo: Mason Street Dojo
United Kingdom
Re: why did you start aikido?

Quote:
Peter Goldsbury wrote:
I was hooked, but it could have been judo, karate, or a dozen other martial arts.

So I have never invested aikido with the kind of practical and spiritual skills that you won't find in other Japanese arts worthy of the name.
Quote:
Robert Pirsig wrote:
If the Buddha exists anywhere, it exists everywhere.
I think I first read about Aikido in a Hardy Boys Detective Story of all places. I'd wanted to learn it when I was a teenager, but at that time there were no dojos where I lived. I started Aikido when I went to University because there was a club and I had the time and the opportunity. I think I had the sort of pre-conceptions that you get from having read a little bit about Aikido from people that don't really know much about it; I don't know if "spiritual" is the right word for the ideas I had about it but I had "intellectual" conceptions of what it would be like - that it was non-agressive, that there were no attacks etc. Also, I thought it would be less frightening than joining the Jitsu society...

For me, the reasons why I started don't seem very relevant to my day to day practice now - they seem to be more a result of chance, co-incidence, ignorance and immaturity.

Second best decision I ever made though.

Ed

It is a good thing for an uneducated man to read books of quotations.

Winston Churchill, 1930.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:56 AM   #27
DonMagee
United_States

I had gotten a black belt in TKD as a teen, and had moved and let my practice fall to the side in exchange for sports, cars, and girls. I wanted to get back into martial arts. I was ripped off by a tkd school I tried to join (long story) and wanted to try something different. I thought about a few arts, kungfu, judo, karate. But I decided judo was a silly sport, karate was too much like TKD, and I just did not like the kungfu instructor I met. At the time I had only heard about bjj but didn't think it was offered in my area, and to tell the truth was probably too intimidated to even go check it out if I knew. I found out about Steven Segal and his aikido, so I googled it, found a school and checked it out. I was impressed with the prices, techniques, the people, and their attitudes. The instructor had me come out on the mat and basically controlled me like I was a puppy. One of the more happier decisions I ever made. Not only did it get me back into the martial arts, but my instructor was the spring board for my judo/bjj/mma training and ultimately lead to me losing about 50 pounds.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 02-15-2007, 08:03 AM   #28
crbateman
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Don Magee wrote:
...and ultimately lead to me losing about 50 pounds.
I found 'em, Don. Want 'em back???
Old 02-15-2007, 08:21 AM   #29
DonMagee
United_States

Nah that's ok, but thanks for the offer.

- Don
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough" - Albert Einstein
Old 02-19-2007, 07:04 PM   #30
Daniel Ranger-Holt
United Kingdom

I started Aikido because i wanted to learn a martial art that would make me feel comfortable on the street if i was ever to be attacked, simple. I had been putting off joining a dojo for about 5 years for all sorts of reasons. I got attacked...and have been training for the last 8 months. The more i read and more videos i watched the whole thinking behind the art completely captivated me and here i am. No previous martial arts training, none others have ever took my interest.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #31
Eddie Heinzelman

Dojo: Atemi-Ryu Jujitsu/Chendokan Aikido
United_States

My brother took karate for awhile when we were kids. I was more interested in kung fu at the time, but I never studied anything. Then when I was in college, and I really became interested in Zen and eastern philosophy, I learned about Aikido, but I still never took the time to devote to it. My interest lies in it's philosophy as well as a martial art and the fact that it's not offensive in nature.

Fast forward about 14 years, and my daughter said she wanted to take karate. I bought a free month of classes at one of their school functions, and so I went with my daughters to try out karate. I didn't really want to study karate, but only did it because a) I had the lessons, b) I thought I could help them learn if I took it, and c) there was never anywhere to study Aikido that wasn't an hour or more drive.

Plus, I'm a musician, and the thought of breaking boards with my hands and competative sparring do not thrill me in the least. I had a friend mugged and killed after he left a performance several years ago, and although I don't know if any art would have changed that, I sure find myself in some odd places at odd hours, and felt like it was long overdue to learn self-defense.

Fortunately, after our free month, the dojo was going to close so a gentleman who had been working out with us decided to take it over. He is a 4th Dan in Aikido and transitioned the school from karate to jujitsu and aikido. I was thrilled! It's only a couple minutes from my house so I can actually workout for 3 hours instead of spending 2 of those hours driving to/from a dojo.

So now, my daughter loves jujitsu and aikido (so much more than karate) and I'm spending 3 nights a week in the dojo as well as helping out at the school (admin, website, teaching, etc.).
Old 02-21-2007, 01:18 PM   #32
Eddie Heinzelman

Dojo: Atemi-Ryu Jujitsu/Chendokan Aikido
United_States

My brother took karate for awhile when we were kids and was a huge Bruce Lee fan. I was more interested in kung fu growing up (no, not David Carradine), but I never studied anything. Then when I was in college and I really became interested in Zen and eastern philosophy, I learned about Aikido, but I still never took the time to devote to it. My interest lies in it's philosophy as well as a martial art and the fact that it's not offensive in nature.

Fast forward about 14 years, and my daughter said she wanted to take karate. I bought a free month of classes at one of their school functions, and so I went with my daughters to try out karate. I didn't really want to study karate, but only did it because a) I had the free lessons, b) I thought I could help them learn if I took it, and c) there was never anywhere to study Aikido that wasn't an hour or more drive away.

Plus, I'm a musician, and the thought of breaking boards with my hands and competative sparring do not thrill me in the least. I had a friend mugged and killed after he left a performance several years ago, and although I don't know if any art would have changed that, I sure find myself in some odd places at odd hours, and felt like it was long overdue to learn self-defense.

Fortunately, after our free month, the dojo was going to close so a gentleman who had been working out with us decided to take it over. He is a 4th Dan in Aikido and transitioned the school from karate to jujitsu and aikido. I was thrilled to finally have an opportunity to study aikido! It's only a couple minutes from my house so I can actually workout for 3 hours instead of spending 2 of those hours driving to/from a dojo.

Now, my daughter loves jujitsu and aikido (she really didn't like karate) and I'm spending 3 nights a week in the dojo as well as helping out at the school (admin, website, teaching, etc.).
Old 02-21-2007, 01:22 PM   #33
Hanna B
Sweden

I had read about aikido and found it fascinating - not really sure what it was I read about it that attracted me. It might have been the tone or language in the article, or whatever. There was no aikido dojo where I lived though, so I explored what other budo arts there were - until an chance to do aikido emerged.
Old 02-21-2007, 03:35 PM   #34
garry cantrell
United_States

It was because of an attractive young woman. First semester at college I saw this very attractive woman with blond hair and blue eyes walking from the gym wearing a gi. I had done Goju-Ryu for about a year prior to that and thought I had the background to strike up an interesting conversation. Aikido?? Never heard of it. I do karate! Um, didn't make that much of an impression. So, come Winter Term I signed up for Aikido - and she didn't. Dangit. Too late though. I was hooked. That was 30 years ago. I've done maybe 5 years of TKD, maybe 3 of Judo, a little Shito-Ryu and a little Hapkido over the years and lately have been playing with the BJJ folks - all great fun and all great folks, but it's always Aikido that's my mainstay.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:12 AM   #35
Rolf Granlund
Dojo: Shinsuikan/Genoa, Ohio
United_States

Aikido seemed to be a natural step in my journey as well. I have trained in various striking arts for about twenty years and decided that for me, aikido would help me learn how to move better and to be aware of what's around me.

Also, I feel that Aikido gives me more of a choice in dealing with situations and the ability to escalate my response if necessary.

With Respect,
Rolf Granlund
Old 02-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #36
PhilMyKi
Dojo: Seibukan, Milton Keynes
United Kingdom

I could give some up close and personal reasons like 'I had no social life', 'lack of friends', 'seeking a little more direction in my life', 'needed to lose some weight', 'needed to get out of the house more' or 'low self esteem' but they are all boring and blahhhhh

How about I am slightly nutty in a high pressure job and I need to blow off some steam now and again . I enjoy the interaction and appreciate the friendships I have cultivated.

Vorsprung durch Aikido!
Old 02-24-2007, 03:40 PM   #37
Angela Morton
Dojo: D.A.N/U.K.A.U
United Kingdom

Originally i started because my partner raved about it. Then we bought a house and couldn;t afford fees. I went back to training after two years on Thursday because i missed it, i'm still not sure i can afford it, but i'll try. i missed the way it got rid of frustration, i missed the oppurtunity to learn something a bit different. My body resents rolling on thursday after so long out, and the pain has bugged me for two days, but at the same time the pain is nice, it's aiki-pain and it means i'm training again, and training made me smile!
Old 09-11-2007, 12:43 AM   #38
Ryan Sanford
Dojo: Northwest Aikido
United_States

I dug this thread from the bowels of the forums because I wanted to hear more people's stories about how they heard about Aikido!

I learned about it on a special called "Martial Arts Hot Spots" on travel channel... I had never done a martial art, but I wanted to take one. All it took was me seeing the little clip of Moriteru Ueshiba doing randori to get me fascinated in it, and the rest is history!

"There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self." - Aldous Huxley
Old 09-11-2007, 07:43 AM   #39
lbb
United_States

I was training Shotokan karate when I lived in the big city, and I'd still be training Shotokan if I were living there. Then...I moved to the sticks, with no real martial arts within an hour's drive. About five years after I moved here, these people started this dojo in a nearby town (Green River Aikido), and I said to myself, "Aha, at last some real martial arts around here!" Any real dojo would have done just fine by me.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #40
Angela Dunn
Dojo: Hartlepool/Peterlee/Billingham
England

Bit late to this thread but I will post anyways, because I can!

Triple reason actually, walked into the middle of a fight at work between my managers and some shoplifters hell bent on sticking a knife into someone. Luckily no-one got hurt but it made me think, hum may be useful to know what to do in that situation. This was confirmed by other experiences in retail hell!

So I actually found out about the Hartlepool class by accident when doing some research for work, (Looking up an address that happened to be the same place my dojo is based at. ) I clicked on the wrong link and there was a picture and article about my now Sensei and the class. Did think it looked fun but then sort of did not go.

Anyhow few months later adverts started appearing in the local newspaper, plus I needed the address again, clicked on that very same wrong link again and thought, hum may as well give it a try. A friend at the time kept nagging me to get in touch to find out more about it, and because well getting into social situations and meeting people away from work would be a good thing. Got in touch via email with a list of questions which promptly got answered, my details got passed on , emails got exchanged that got me giggling like a mad thing and thought I got to go meet this person. A week later I found myself gathering up courage and walking through the door. I am still going nine months later and its the best decision I think I have ever made.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:02 AM   #41
GLWeeks
Dojo: Aikido Society of Memphis
United_States

I had studied Karate for 5 years while in my teens(I'm 39 now) and was 6 months away from testing for black belt when my Sensei retired. I tried studying under different instructors, but it never felt the same. I decided that it was only a belt and walked away.

12 years later the wife and I moved to Memphis, TN and I started realizing how much I missed the martial arts. Moving from Tupelo, MS I now had a much broader selection to choose from. I found the Aikido Society of Memphis and met Greg Owen Sensei and I have been hooked ever since. Greg has moved to FL since then, but this time I have decided to continue my training and push forward. We have a great group led by Robert Kores Sensei and I am there to stay!

I have started dabbling in Escrima and I am loving that as well...

Guy

Old 09-12-2007, 10:23 PM   #42
Dewey
United_States

To be a Jedi, of course! See my very first post in the Introductions sub-section: http://www.aikiweb.com/forums/showpo...35&postcount=1

Seriously, though. Aikido for me is more than a hobby...it's a lifestyle. I wouldn't go so far as to say "budo," though...I'm not worthy of that. I'm a long way from that. But it certainly is a defining aspect of my life.

Last edited by Dewey : 09-12-2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:04 PM   #43
Mattias Bengtsson
Dojo: Halmstad Aikidoklubb
Sweden

I started Aikido because a friend of mine bugged me to start...

is the simple answer, in reality, it is of course more complex than that..

When I was about 20 years old a friend of mine got me into Shotokan Karate which he had trained for half a year. But when he stopped slightly less than a year afterwards I discontinued as well.

I didn't really know any of the other and while the atmosphere wasn't exactly hostile it was a bit... competitive. So when my friend quit, I quit as well.

Then a few more years later I did some kick boxing at University but as I found it to exhausting I decided it wasn't for me, just about as the warm-up exercise was done. So was I...

So... another couple of years.. and at the age of 33 I figured it was time for me to join the ranks of grown-ups.. and get a drivers license.. (I live in a moderately small town, and it takes slightly less than half a hour to go from on one side to the other.. by bike)
At the same time I started to worry about driving a car would mean less exercise and a increase in weight, so when I was "recruited" to Aikido it was more or less as "a better option than going to a gym"..

Aikido seemed to me something I could do without needing to be young or flexible, or being in perfect condition.

Now, a year later, the incredibly friendly atmosphere of the Dojo have made me more friends, and that friend who got me started in Karate some 14 years ago are coming to the "beginners class" next week.. meaning my whole experience of Martial arts have come full circle

My father who is suitably impressed by my Ukemi (he is 63 and I haven't given up the hope to get him to start ) once asked me for "how long is this course supposed to take" to which I replied "until I grow bored or die, whichever comes first"

Last edited by Mattias Bengtsson : 09-13-2007 at 07:08 PM.

Uke Iacta Est
Old 09-19-2007, 05:52 AM   #44
hullu

Health problems. I had felt bad/sick for 1-3 months. I took some drugs but they did not help. I am not fat and I am young but due to the addiction of the terrible computer my shape had gone down. Especially poker was bad for my healt. Easy money but.. just terrible.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:17 PM   #45
Will Prusner

Dojo: AikiSpirit Dojo
United_States

Because I wanted to usher in a new era of peace and enlightenment, which is the inevitable result of opening the rock-door of heaven and restoring the reign of Amaterasu o mi Kami. Obviously.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration...

ART! - http://birdsbeaks.blogspot.com/
Old 09-20-2007, 09:55 AM   #46
donplummer

Dojo: Aikido School of Self Defense/Monticello NY
United_States
Talking Re: why did you start aikido?

At 6'5" and close to 400lbs, I got tired of relying on my strength and size to dominate people as a full time "bouncer" at numerous clubs in NYC. Had a room-mate who had tried Aikido before and after attending another friend's Black Belt test, I was hooked. The randori blew my mind. 9 years later I have an entirely different approach (much more peaceful) to dealing with difficult people. The philosophy of Aikido has really taken root within me. My discovery of Aikido has doubtless saved my life on numerous occasions. Stories for another thread...

"of all the things I've lost, I ,miss my mind the most..."-mushin-
Old 09-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #47
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo

The local ballroom dancing classes didn't fit with my schedule so from my research I figured aikido would be the next best thing

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."
Old 09-20-2007, 12:19 PM   #48
BK Barker
United_States

Why did I start Aikido... hum.... well here it goes...

When I was a kid growing up I loved to watch martial arts movie's and was intrigued by Bruce Lee/Karate/Kung Fu/ and many others but the art the really grabbed my attention was Ninjutsu. To say that I was infatuated with Ninja's would well really be an understatement. I had books upon books and tried to find some place to learn this mystical yet awesome art close to me but as I figured that was just as illusive as the ninja...So I move on looking at other forms and while in the military I got some mixed training and I do mean mixed! But that just fueled my desire to learn more even though at those times I didn't have the time or money to do so and thus put off on something that I really wanted to do....fast forward a bit...many years later I had started looking at different dojo's in the area's close to me and everyone I visited I was not moved to join so I went on about not doing the one thing I really wanted to do deep inside and kind of gave up especially after dealing with a broken back and cancer...

Fast forward to this year...

I started working in a local hospital where I worked part time sat/sun in house services. A job came open in our dept to work in the ER so I put in a transfer request because it would 1 open up my sundays for my competitve archery and 2 it payed more besides I am a 12 year vet of the fire service and was an emt for about 1/2 of that I figured heck I would enjoy it.... I got that job and that led me to learn about one of the rn's practicing martial arts. Well I got to talking to him here and there since we worked the same shift all the time. But the more we talked the more I was intrigued... to say that he got me excited about learning a martial art that I thought was really "cool" is very accurate but I was still a bit reserved because he was studying at a dojo that I had visited in the past and was still a bit skeptical. So he kept inviting me to come over and check it out so I did. When I walked in he introduced me to the sensei and we talked for a bit and I watched a class... well that was it I was hooked! I have now recently gotten my yellow belt and am looking forward to working with everyone there at the dojo every week! I wish we was going 3 days a week every week but even though it's only 2 that's fine with me as it leaves time for me to coach my daughters soccer team and still practice my archery as well. The reason I like aikido so much is not only the people I have come to know is the fact that it is really challenging in a lot of ways. It's easy to tell if I have my head in the game or not and when I don't that just makes me want to try harder to get my head in the game every time even though it might be unrealistic to say every time but hey if I can get those on days to be more then the not on days I'll be a little happier!
Old 09-28-2007, 05:07 AM   #49
Stefan Stenudd
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Enighet Malmo Sweden
Sweden

It started with a nikyo:

http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/aikido-true.htm

Stefan Stenudd
My aikido website: http://www.stenudd.com/aikido/
My YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Aikidostenudd
Old 10-02-2007, 12:30 PM   #50
Ryan Porter
United_States

I just started for exercise, really. I had been going to a gym, lifting weights and swimming. I was in shape but getting bored. I thought martial arts would be a good way to keep fit and learn something at the same time. Also, my reflexes felt dull.

I visited a Kung Fu dojo, and I remember a lot of squatting and punching. Didn't really interest me. I couldn't see the spirit. I went to a Tae Kwan Do dojo and, although the class had mixed ages, it was really for kids. Everyone had to say a corny "pledge" before and after class. Then, I went to the Aikido dojo and watched. The practice looked looked so joyful, especially when students were in line-practice and rolling back and forth all over the mat.

I signed up and knew I'd like it. I didn't think, however, it would be a big part of my life 10 years later.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!