Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #26
Brad Allen
Australia
Re: I'm back... and a little cornfused

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
I can think of few situations in any country in which shouting is considered a polite or respectful form of address.
OK, I feel terrible about it. Thank you.

The instructor asked first who has never worked with a jo. I raised my hand. He demonstrated the kata, then asked us to perform it, and to visualize our opponent. There was a parrying move, but I wasn't sure what exactly I was supposed to be visualizing parrying. He finished his demonstration, and people went to pick up there jos. Before they began, I called out, "Excuse me, just had a quick question." Everyone stopped and stared, and he ignored me and came around later and said it's best not to call out a question.

So, sorry I'm such a jerk, I did not mean to destroy everyone's concentration and I won't do it again. I'm a dense ignoramous, and an ugly American--I hope I can be redeemed.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:49 AM   #27
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Quote:
Brad Allen wrote:
So, sorry I'm such a jerk, I did not mean to destroy everyone's concentration and I won't do it again. I'm a dense ignoramous, and an ugly American--I hope I can be redeemed.
um, er....am I missing something, Brad? Why did you ask the question about it here if you didn't want honest and sincere feedback? If you did want honest and sincere feedback, why are you replying with what comes across as totally snarky?

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-04-2007, 03:18 PM   #28
Brad Allen
Australia

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
um, er....am I missing something, Brad? Why did you ask the question about it here if you didn't want honest and sincere feedback? If you did want honest and sincere feedback, why are you replying with what comes across as totally snarky?
Well, I read the post insinuating that I was dense, forgetful, or my teachers stunk, and when he "travels", he's greeted like James Bond. I live in Australia, and I know how Australians sometimes treat Americans, whether they accidentally blurt something out or not.

When I posted that, I was pretty frustrated--I think it's a combination of being rusty and not being "as good" at aikido as I was; also frustration in a sort of impatience.

At my age, after my life and experience, I'm not like I was when I was a kid taking taekwondo classes. I'm more critical of people. I have seen some of the best Aikidoka in the world (seminars). Part of me is just questioning the whole "white guys bowing and wearing white pajamas" martial arts game.

I understand tradition and you have to have respect. I find the classes move so slow--I guess I'm just eager for full-on randori or something.

Sincerely, sorry I got so defensive. I knew it was a mistake to blurt out a question; I guess I didn't expect people here to gang up on me--should have known better, it's the internet.

It really wasn't that big a deal. People thought I was stupid for five seconds, then continued what they were doing. Everyone was really nice, and complimented me on my rolls and throws. I guess I just focus on the negative becuase I did feel a little silly after I realized it was a big no-no.

So, thank you for you honest comments--but let's not blow it out of proportion--you all know I'm back after a long time, cut me a little slack!

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #29
Janet Rosen
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

ok. I guess I wasn't addressing any country OR even martial arts. I see people shout across restaurants for waiters and otherwise do it in a variety of settings, and it simply ain't courteous. It was not meant as a personal dig at your situation, but an honest reply to the question posed.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 02-04-2007, 07:10 PM   #30
Kevin Wilbanks

Well, you started off by acting like you had specific questions about Aikido etiquitte and pins. I was actually trying to be diplomatic in suggesting that lack of proper instruction might be your problem. Yelling across the mat at a sensei during an Aikido class seems so obviously rude that I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Your response to this, and Janet's comment, seems like the equivalent of a temper tantrum. You seem awfully eager to seize on what seems like fairly gentle, honest criticism and blow it up into some kind of persecution drama with yourself as the victim. Now you reveal that you were probably being rude in the dojo on purpose, acting out some resentment against traditional martial arts and dojo etiquitte itself...

It appears like you were looking for something more along the lines of a acting out some kind of emotional therapy session than asking a couple of simple questions.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!