Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 06-14-2006, 08:45 AM   #26
DaveS
United Kingdom
Re: Only Sensei teachers

Quote:
Steve Mullen wrote:
Its not necessarily the higher grades teaching the newbies, as the technique is demonstrated first, its more helping out.
Yes... those of you who have said that only sensei teaches, does that mean that if an inexperienced nage keeps twisting the wrist the wrong way for kote gaesh or trying to aigame ate with the wrong hand, you just sit there while they do it until sensei comes over and stops them? Or are you thinking of a slightly higher level of teaching?

We definitely have everyone passing on what they know.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:25 AM   #27
kokyu
Hong Kong

If the Sensei is nearby, I always encourage the student to ask the Sensei, no matter how basic the problem, as Sensei should be the model.

I tend to agree with the other posters that it may be difficult for Sensei to give full attention to each student when the class is big. Having said that though, I will point out big mistakes (such as not facing tori during nikkyo ura or not cutting down completely in shihonage - all of which can lead to serious injury). I am more cautious when pointing out subtler points (such as turning the inner shoulder in ikkyo omote or focusing the energy at uke's kuzushi point), because the student may need more practice in the basics/these details may confuse him/or more importantly, I may be wrong about the finer points
Old 06-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #28
Karen Wolek
Dojo: Kingston Aikido
United_States

Quote:
David Sim wrote:
Yes... those of you who have said that only sensei teaches, does that mean that if an inexperienced nage keeps twisting the wrist the wrong way for kote gaesh or trying to aigame ate with the wrong hand, you just sit there while they do it until sensei comes over and stops them? Or are you thinking of a slightly higher level of teaching?

We definitely have everyone passing on what they know.
Well, I'm only 2nd kyu so I don't know a whole lot just yet. I will point a newbie in the general direction, but leave the major teaching to Sensei. He sees most of what goes on, anyway....the biggest class we usually have is around 21 people, but generally we have less than 12. Our dojo is quite young, so at 2nd kyu I am one of the seniors.

I'm also kenshusei, though...so I'm supposed to be learning to teach. So a lot of times, I'm meant to teach more, especially with newbies. Sometimes I'm confident, other times I'm not quite sure how to help. Then I give Sensei my "help" look.

From our dojo handbook:

In general keep conversation to a minimum. If you have a question, attempt to ask the Sensei. If the Sensei is busy, ask your partner. If you are explaining something and the Sensei comes around, it is proper to stop talking and allow the Sensei to observe and comment on the technique.

And:

People come to practice, not to be instructed by their partners. Focus on your own practice and sincere attacks.In general do not instruct each other, but if your are working with a beginner, or if someone asks for help, then help them if you can.

The best way to help is by moving through the ukemi part of the technique. If you don't know enough to know how to do this, you don't know enough to help - so ask the Sensei for help.

And:

Focus on what you can do to facilitate your partner's learning rather than on correcting them.

So that's where I'm coming from. Every dojo is different. Another dojo I frequent, there is way too much teaching on the mat and it drives me INSANE! LOL!

Karen
"Try not. Do...or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
Old 06-15-2006, 11:26 AM   #29
Lucy Smith
Dojo: Samurai Dojo
Uruguay

I didn't have time to read what you all wrote so I'm sorry if I'm repeating something that has already been said.
In my dojo we have a very open atmosphere. Sensei always tells the newbies that "we don't speak if we don't need to and we are not disrespectful, but we can always laugh, respectfully of course". So sempai are always explaining which I as a newbie find very useful, we laugh about mistakes and about every funny thing, and I know we shouldn't talk about no Aikido related stuff but we are teens and kids so we do it anyways. And Sensei jumps into the conversation every once in a while.
In conclusion: we have a very nice time, we are relaxed and free and we get along with everyone.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:01 PM   #30
Lyle Bogin
Dojo: Shin Budo Kai
United_States

I think there are a few learning/teaching tracks running at the same time at Shin Budo Kai. There's the main track, where everyone is trying to imitate Imaizumi Sensei. Then there is a pack of very experienced aikidoists who could each run a school on their own if they chose to. They patiently teach as best they can, and we try to listen. There is the "do your own thing" mind set that Imaizumi also encourages in his teaching. So there's a lot of self-teaching (*gong!*) going on. No two high level students under Imaizumi Sensei do their aikido alike! Sometimes its frustrating...who should you listen to?...but I think the overall experience leads to a freedom from the more superficial aspects of each technique.

I have been in environments where "sensei is the only teacher" and would not return to one again.

I suppose one environment in which a "sensei's word only" may be helpful is with kids (depending on age), or when opening a new school and creating a student body from the ground up. So I suppose my bias is now towards schools that have been around for a while.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #31
Mark Freeman
Dojo: Dartington
United Kingdom

Quote:
Lucy Smith wrote:
and I know we shouldn't talk about no Aikido related stuff but we are teens and kids so we do it anyways.
quite right too Lucy, gotta keep the adults ( who are only big kids really ) on their toes!

regards,

Mark

Success is having what you want. Happiness is wanting what you have.

Please visit our sponsor:

AikiWeb Sponsored Links - Place your Aikido link here for only $10!