Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 03-22-2005, 01:48 AM   #1
neb1979
Australia
What is Aikido?

Hi everyone,

I have been asking myself this question for quite some time now and still haven't come up with an answer, What is Aikido? I know that it is an art that Morihei Ueshiba named in 1942 formally and that Aikido translated roughly means The way of peace and harmony, but what is the true meaning of Aikido.

I hear people talk about Aikido and allot of the time they are discussing what is the "real" style of Aikido and weather or not Aikido should have Atemi as it conflicts with the moral and ethical views of the O'Sensei.

I would really appreciate everybody's thoughts and opinions on this.

Thanks and keep training
Ben

Learn to Suffer, Know your Place and Nothing lasts Forever
Old 03-22-2005, 03:49 AM   #2
Amir Krause
Dojo: Shirokan Dojo / Tel Aviv Israel
Israel
Re: What is Aikido?

In the way one of our Shihan said : "Aikido is one type of JuJutsu" or if you prefer - Aikido is a generic term describing several Japanese M.A.

Amir
Old 03-22-2005, 04:35 AM   #3
David Humm
United Kingdom

Quote:
Ben McClean wrote:
Hi everyone,

I have been asking myself this question for quite some time now and still haven't come up with an answer, What is Aikido? I know that it is an art that Morihei Ueshiba named in 1942 formally and that Aikido translated roughly means The way of peace and harmony, but what is the true meaning of Aikido.

I hear people talk about Aikido and allot of the time they are discussing what is the "real" style of Aikido and weather or not Aikido should have Atemi as it conflicts with the moral and ethical views of the O'Sensei.

I would really appreciate everybody's thoughts and opinions on this.

Thanks and keep training
Ben
Whatever YOU want it to be and not what others tell you it should be.

Dave
Old 03-22-2005, 04:55 AM   #4
deepsoup
Dojo: Sheffield Shodokan Dojo

Quote:
Ben McClean wrote:
What is Aikido? I know that it is an art that Morihei Ueshiba named in 1942
Nope, it wasn't Ueshiba M. who named it.
Check out this interview, or try a google search for 'aikido' in conjuction with "dai nihon butokukai" for more info.

Sean
x
Old 03-23-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
bendo
Dojo: Footscray Aikikai
Australia

There was a nother thread going here refering via a link to a mysterious martial art brought to america in the 1920's (?) called Yawara. The guy talked about in this article said that yawara is the alternative name for jujitsu...
Old 03-24-2005, 05:19 AM   #6
Dazzler
Dojo: Templegate Dojo, bristol & Bristol North Aikido Dojo
England

Quote:
Ben Walter wrote:
There was a nother thread going here refering via a link to a mysterious martial art brought to america in the 1920's (?) called Yawara. The guy talked about in this article said that yawara is the alternative name for jujitsu...
In jujitsu we sometimes practiced a variation using a short stick entitled a yawara bo. Still jujitsu but using the properties of the short stick to enhance pressure point strikes and suchlike.

A more modern version of this would be the kubotan ...found on many a key ring these days.

Maybe this is what you are talking about?

Heres a link anyway...

http://www.4-site.co.uk/goshin/kubohtm.htm

Cheers

D
Old 03-24-2005, 06:48 AM   #7
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States

Yawara is indeed an alternate word for jujutsu...but not knowing much japanese at all, I couldn't tell you about the kanji, or if they are the same as the yawara used in kubotan. Chris Li, Peter G., Don M. might be able to give a hand here.

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)
Old 03-24-2005, 12:20 PM   #8
Chris Li

Dojo: Aikido Sangenkai
United_States

Quote:
Ron Tisdale wrote:
Yawara is indeed an alternate word for jujutsu...but not knowing much japanese at all, I couldn't tell you about the kanji, or if they are the same as the yawara used in kubotan. Chris Li, Peter G., Don M. might be able to give a hand here.
The kanji "ju" and "yawara" are the same ("flexible" or "soft"). Both are rather generic terms for Japanese empty hand fighting arts.

The term "Aikido" itself does indeed have it's origins inside the Butokukai, but to say that Morihei Ueshiba didn't name the art is, IMO, incorrect, since he and not anyone else chose to call his his art by that term both before and after the war. I'd also note that, although it was originally conceived of as a more general term, it didn't turn out that way in the end, so to say that "Aikido" is a general term that describes several different martial arts is, IMO, also incorrect, both historically and in terms of general usage inside Japan.

Best,

Chris

Old 03-25-2005, 07:15 AM   #9
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

We people say aikido I think we are pretty much expecting inuri (verticality), taiatari (full body connection), and ki musubi (which is basically taiatari combined with kokyu where kokyu = breath, rhythm, form, expansion and contraction, etc..)

There are some other qualities we expect as well like zen (symbolized by a sword in this context meaning judgment - as in to do minimal damage), shin or makoto (symbolized by a mirror in this context meaning like truth and honesty), and bi (symbolized by beads in this context meaning beauty).

Put those together, and I'd say you're doing aikido.

Rob
Old 03-25-2005, 07:35 AM   #10
rob_liberti
Dojo: Shobu Aikido of Connecticut
United_States

Quote:
Rob Liberti wrote:
We people say
Sorry, I meant "WHEN people say..."
Old 03-25-2005, 07:55 AM   #11
aikidocapecod
Dojo: Shobu Aikido Cape Cod
United_States

I do not have the insight into Aikido that others have, though I have been practicing Aikido since 1986. But over those years I have had the good fortune to practice with many Aikidoka from all forms of the art. And to many of those folks, Aikido is a martial art that teaches harmony. And I do not mean harmony that Crosby, Stills Nash and Young practice(Ya..I am showing my age!!!). But rather the harmony that two practitioners of the art develop when one attacks and another responds to that attack.

So...what I am poorly attempting to say is Aikido can be many things to many people, but....as I said, when you talk to the many folks that practice and study the art, their response is always given with a smile and with enjoyment. They study to improve themselves and to help others. And that is a large part of what Aikido practice is meant to foster...in my humble opinion....

Please visit our sponsor:

Budo Bear Patterns - Sewing pattern for Women's (and Men's) dogi.