Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > General

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 02-28-2005, 04:41 PM   #1
Pankration90
United_States
Question about two dojos

Hi,

I've been interested in trying out aikido for a while to see if it has anything to offer my grappling or footwork for striking. I've found a dojo within reasonable driving distance. Has anyone here ever trained at the Kansas City Aikido School in Overland Park, KS (link)?

I'm not really sure what to expect from an aikido class, but I hope there isn't a lot of talk about ki energy etc. because frankly I don't believe in it. If any has been there, how does a typical class go and what should I expect during the first lesson?
Old 02-28-2005, 05:01 PM   #2
Pankration90
United_States
Re: Question about two dojos

Oops... I was going to ask about two dojos but I decided to ask about only one, and I forgot to change the title.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:31 PM   #3
stuartjvnorton

Dojo: Aikido Shudokan

It's hard to say how much focus ki will have in a class.
Some styles don't talk about it much at all (eg: Yoshinkan or Shodokan), others will talk about it a lot (some individual instructors or classes more than others also, so ask them questions and maybe check out a few classes first).
You may also be able to cut through the mysticism of any ki talk and look at the biomechanics too, if that's your thing.

Classes will be fairly basic for you though if you haven't done any Aikido before, at least until they decide whether you can fall safely or not.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:51 PM   #4
BC

I have visited the Kansas City Aikido School. I have also practiced with their chief instructor and the members at seminars. They are a great group of people. You will find strong, solid instruction and technique with them. Seeing as they were once under the guidance of Akira Tohei Sensei, you will not likely find them to be too chatty on the mat, as that was not Tohei Sensei's style.

That being said, the best advice I can give you is to just visit the dojo in person and watch a class or two. Good luck!

Robert Cronin
Old 03-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #5
Pankration90
United_States

Thanks for the replies. Is aikikai one of the styles that focus more on ki? If it is that won't stop me from trying it out, but less mystical stuff would probably make me consider sticking around longer. Aikido won't be my primary training, but on this dojo's website it says you can pay a mat fee to visit which I'm assuming means you can train with them instead of just watching. It would be great to go once in a while and see some new things. I wish more schools around here were like that (most require a monthly contract, if not a longer one).

Are there any books or articles anyone can recommend for a beginnner to aikido so that I can read up on it and try to get a feel for it between classes? I already have "Aikido: Tradition and the Competitive Edge" but I'm guessing the aikikai syllabus will be quite different (both the details of the techniques and the names).
Old 03-01-2005, 04:32 PM   #6
BC

The following website gives a pretty good primer on the different styles/organizations in aikido:

www.aikidofaq.com

Robert Cronin
Old 03-01-2005, 05:00 PM   #7
Pankration90
United_States

Thanks for the link. I think I was mixing up the Aikikai with Shin Shin Toitsu/Ki Society.

I have another question, how open will the instructor(s) at the Kansas City Aikido School be to people who train in other styles at the same time? I'll be continuing with MMA/submission grappling and possibly boxing.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:26 PM   #8
Jamey_J
Dojo: Dead Account

I have been fortunate to have trained with folks from the Kansas City Dojo. The instructors are excellent. You are looking at a lot of experience coming from Graham Sensei, Asst Instructor George Rhodes, and Asst Bruce Beisner. I think you'd be very happy with what you see if you go to observe the class.

Take Robert "BC" Cronin's advice from earlier in the thread; go visit.

Please visit our sponsor:

Cool Rain Productions - Since 1976, the exclusive source for "Aikido in Training" Book/DVD Series