Welcome to AikiWeb Aikido Information
AikiWeb: The Source for Aikido Information
AikiWeb's principal purpose is to serve the Internet community as a repository and dissemination point for aikido information.

Sections
home
aikido articles
columns

Discussions
forums
aikiblogs

Databases
dojo search
seminars
image gallery
supplies
links directory

Reviews
book reviews
video reviews
dvd reviews
equip. reviews

News
submit
archive

Miscellaneous
newsletter
rss feeds
polls
about

Follow us on

Home > AikiWeb Aikido Forums
Go Back   AikiWeb Aikido Forums > Supplies

Hello and thank you for visiting AikiWeb, the world's most active online Aikido community! This site is home to over 22,000 aikido practitioners from around the world and covers a wide range of aikido topics including techniques, philosophy, history, humor, beginner issues, the marketplace, and more.

If you wish to join in the discussions or use the other advanced features available, you will need to register first. Registration is absolutely free and takes only a few minutes to complete so sign up today!

Old 01-10-2003, 11:19 AM   #1
Judd
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
Kneepads?

Anyone have a recommendation for some good kneepads?
Old 01-10-2003, 11:45 AM   #2
kung fu hamster
I would avoid the ones with the bent plastic shields (don't quite know if they're plastic but the ones I am referring to are hard and somewhat unyielding). They may be good for gardening or carpentry but they're way too stiff for aikido. I don't like them for iaido either. Someone had black pads that were soft all the way around but I don't know the brand.

Old 01-10-2003, 11:59 AM   #3
Edward
Thailand
I recommend judo pads such as mizuno or adidas. You can buy them on the net.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:07 PM   #4
Aiki Teacher
Dojo: Aikido of Midland
United_States
Re: Kneepads?

Quote:
Judd Mercer (Judd) wrote:
A friend of mine uses the hard skate board knee pads. He loves them He can also spin on a dime during knee work.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:12 PM   #5
Judd
Dojo: Seattle Ki Society
Thanks for all the leads! A girl at our school has some that are thick and super squishy and have a whole behind the knee to keep circulation going. That's kinda what I was looking for.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:50 PM   #6
Greg Jennings
Dojo: S&G BJJ
United_States
I'd like to wear knee pads. I don't think thick ones would be necessary.

The problem I've had is that any knee pad, knee brace, wrap, etc. that covers the crease behind my knee makes seiza very uncomfortable.

If anyone finds a knee pad that leaves that area open, please let me know the brand.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 01-10-2003, 06:09 PM   #7
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido

Quote:
Judd Mercer (Judd) wrote:
Depending on your size, I would recommend either the kneelons or kneechaps from Floating Mountain.

They are more pricy than normal kneepads, but its cheaper than knee replacement. They're comfortable too. I've used a pair of kneelons for several years with no complaints.

These kneepads are open in the back, using neoprene straps with velcro closures.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You
Old 01-10-2003, 08:56 PM   #8
Greg Jennings
United_States
Re: Re: Kneepads?

Quote:
Ted Ehara (tedehara) wrote:
Depending on your size, I would recommend either the kneelons or kneechaps from Floating Mountain.
Wooo hooo! Thanks. I'll order a pair as soon as I recover from buying my laptop, router, UPS, USB hub, KVM switch and 100 feet of CAT-5 UTP.

Yep. Serious geek-age at the Jennings household.

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 01-11-2003, 10:25 AM   #9
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan
I just picked up a pair of nike knee pads at sports authority. The knee has a kind of ribbed jell and plastic frame. Really nice and $20..
Old 01-11-2003, 03:28 PM   #10
Russ UK
I wouldn't use them - not that I'm suggesting you don't but my argument would be - if you had to perform a kneeling technique for real you'd be at a disadvanatge unless you happened to have them on at the time, eg in the pub! Although it's uncomfortable initially, you'll soon condition yourself to suwari waza and your suwari waza will be the better for it.
Old 01-11-2003, 05:21 PM   #11
diesel
Dojo: Tenshin
Japan
Quote:
Russ UK wrote:
I wouldn't use them - not that I'm suggesting you don't but my argument would be - if you had to perform a kneeling technique for real you'd be at a disadvanatge unless you happened to have them on at the time, eg in the pub! Although it's uncomfortable initially, you'll soon condition yourself to suwari waza and your suwari waza will be the better for it.
But if you are recovering from a knee injury, knee pads are a great way to slowly work back into trainging...
Old 01-11-2003, 06:41 PM   #12
Greg Jennings
United_States
Quote:
Russ UK wrote:
Although I think the whole argument of "if you had to do it for real" is pretty much a non-player for many of us, think about this:

What if after 20 years of doing suwariwaza your knees are so messed up that you can't do technique at all, dang sure can't do kneeling techniques (btw, never saw the opportunity for one in 6 years as a bouncer) and can't even walk to the freaking pub?

Best Regards,

Greg Jennings
Old 11-10-2004, 01:16 PM   #13
Remo

I picked up a pair of * Bike Tri-flex knee pads at Modell's, retail is about $ 12 US. They stay in place, and not too thick.
Old 11-10-2004, 01:53 PM   #14
Janet Rosen

I have friends who swear by soft, very padded kneepads made for vollleyball.
My own preference, when I did suwariwaza, was to make a padding inside the gi pants of layers of pellon fleece quilted to a lightwt cotton, from mid knee to mid shin along the front of the pantslegs, so that when I turned in suwariwaza it felt like being on a potholder, and when I accidentally slammed down on a knee in ukemi, no bruising would result.

Janet Rosen
http://www.zanshinart.com
"peace will enter when hate is gone"--percy mayfield
Old 11-10-2004, 04:32 PM   #15
wxyzabc
England

I dont know if you can get them in the States but over here in Japan "Montbell" (climbing/outdoor store)....they have a USA website... do some really nice pads which are open at the front and are really warm and flexible
Old 02-17-2005, 02:55 PM   #16
pezalinski

Dojo: Aikido of Harvard (IL)
United_States

I'm a fan of the kneelons -- I've owned two pair (yes, you can wear out the neoprene, if you try hard enough!). Strange thing is, though, I don't use them much any more. Essentially, I now treat them like a super-duper athletic knee wrap, rather than as a daily-use tool.

I started using them to cushion my knees when I was an uchi-deshi at my old dojo. Working out 5-6 days a week, as a Sankyu and then Nikyu, the knee-pain started to get to me. And that got habit forming: I would wear them for every class. I found out, after a while, that they negatively altered my ukemi and my techniques -- I'm able to put more weight on my forward knees, and do so (rather than remain centered), and I started to rely on the padding to cushion my knees during a fall, rather than relying on good ukemi form. Basically, they encouraged me to get sloppy.

Since my knees were no longer really bothering me, I stopped wearing them. And both my ukemi and suwariwaza techniques seemed to improve.

Now I only use them when I'm sore and tired, and when pain in my knees seems to hold me back... As I get older, I foresee more frequent use.

A little danger is a knowledge thing...

"Helping the planet make an impact on people, since 1985"
Old 02-17-2005, 03:49 PM   #17
DevinHammer

Dojo: Aikido of Santa Cruz
United_States

Anyone I know who uses Trace knee pads (including myself) raves about them being second to none. Check them out at:
http://www.softball.com/softball/pro...roductDesc=100

but they can be had much cheaper at:
http://batterschoice.com/product_inf...roducts_id=780

Note: They are sold individually, so you must order two to get a pair.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:32 PM   #18
syraikidoka
Dojo: Aikido Of CNY
United_States

You may want to grab a pair if Asics GEL kneepads, they are thin, light, stretchy and squishy. They are intended for wrestling (freestyle/folkstyle, not professional). Many of my teammates and I wore them in High School. If they can handle the beating of seasons worth of take downs and sprawls, they can handle a little suwari waza. They also should give you no problem under your gi as they are basically neoprene and a gel pad. Additionally, they are cheap - in the USD $12 - $15 dollar range.

If you get them, do your uke a favor and wash them occasionally, Those little puppies can get to reeeeeeekin sumptin' fierce : )

Mike